Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    End User 250+ Posts

What's the setting to stop the printer from preheating whenever the phone rings?

I practically never get faxes but each time the phone rings my Canon preheats. Not only does this waste as much energy as making coffee each time someone calls, but (I know this isn't ideal but it's my only choice for now) my Canon [1200 watts] and AC [1300 watts] are on the same electrical circuit. If the phone rings while the AC is running it will overload the circuit. I always turn off the AC before printing but I have no control on when the phone rings.

Other than unplugging it from the phone line (I do send faxes occasionally), isn't there a setting so that it doesn't preheat when the phone rings? I tried to set the receive options to off/manual but it still does it.

The only advantage is that if the phone recently rang I don't need to wait 2 minutes for it to preheat before it starts printing.

Thanks

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    What's the setting to stop the printer from preheating whenever the phone rings?

If you would create a catalog of all your threads, this would catalog every single cheap customer, exceeding the paper specs, won't pay an electrician, save $0.03 cents by unplugging the machine, reusing the waste toner, re-filling the cartridges, pulling out the cartridges so it won't do color calibration, ... did I miss anything?

Everyone of us gets a few of these 'special' customers. The difference is they pay a $125.00 service charge to ask these questions. It all comes down to the same thing. You saved $10. Whoo Hoo! Now you owe the tech $125.00. Maybe we can just totally re-design your machine for you to save you every possible penny, then re-wire your building for you, then give you some free cartridges, then do all of this for you for free? Would that be enough, or do you have any other requests? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

End User 250+ Posts
    So far I "saved" well over $3000 in just over a month by refilling and using remanufactured cartridges (it costs me $40 and 20 minutes of work to refill a set of cartridges instead of $700 for new ones). I also never reused any waste toner. I didn't really save it though because I would never pay $700 for cartridges that make 2800 prints at 5% coverage, that's absolutely insane when my inkjet can print that much for $10 instead of $700.

If I had to pay $700 per 2800 prints I never would have gotten the machine in the first place and would use only my inkjet. Even with the refills it still costs me 6 times more per page than inkjet but it's worth it for the times I want water resistant prints. I calculated how much it would cost me per page using refills and re manufactured cartridges and assuming I get 3 refills per cartridge before even considering buying the machine.

I use it for my businesses I run and without refills I'd be loosing money rather than making money so it would make no sense to buy it if I was going to pay $700 per 2800 prints.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
    The only advantage is that if the phone recently rang I don't need to wait 2 minutes for it to preheat before it starts printing.
    Now, see? It isn't so bad! It is not a bug - it's a feature!
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar
    Your machine takes 2 minutes of time to warm up? Some high volume machines are faster than yours.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Haven't you heard? Everything on the internet is free!

You don't have to pay for anything. You just ask, then somebody does it for you. Like those manuals that we're reading out of (because you can't?), ... well they're not free. And the many years of experience accumulated here, .. well they weren't free. And that Yugo that you make your deliveries in, ... well that might have been free.

rusty-yugo-thumb3171447.jpg

This isn't really a forum for technicians to share ideas. This is really a charity for very green printers. Our real objective is to drive ourselves out of business by giving away our services. Oh wait, you wouldn't have paid for any professional services. That won't work! Well, we'll just have to think of some other way of driving ourselves out of business. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Nevermind that, I believe it's better to give him free information than having to go there in person.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

End User 250+ Posts
    I did read the manual but it's largely impossible to understand as are the printer's onscreen menus.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
    I did read the manual but it's largely impossible to understand as are the printer's onscreen menus.
    You do have it set to a language that your familiar with like bullshit

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Unplug the phone line !!!
    Totoro