Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Technician 250+ Posts
    What I would add - if you are going to do labels, use the bypass. Less chance for a label to "peel up" from sharp bends.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    As far as Canon standing behind any damages resulting from printing labels, that's simply not going to happen.

The only ones that they even may stand behind are their own brand, which you would most likely need to go through an authorized dealer to purchase.

And yes, they are quite pricey.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Are label sheets made for laser printers garanteed to work in all laser printers?

As far as I see it, it's the end user's duty to make sure the media used is adequate to the machine - usually the user manuals are quite specific about what can and what cannot be used.

When in doubt, it's the media maker/seller who should be contacted and asked about what their media can handle. If the media manufacturer tells the media is okay to use in that machine, and if the machine breaks because of it, the media manufacturer should be called - after all they should know what their paper/labels/transparencies support.

If I pour unleaded fuel on my diesel car, and it starts rattling and smoking, I'm not going to blame the car's manufacturer, am I?
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    As far as I see it, it's the end user's duty to make sure the media used is adequate to the machine - usually the user manuals are quite specific about what can and what cannot be used.

When in doubt, it's the media maker/seller who should be contacted and asked about what their media can handle. If the media manufacturer tells the media is okay to use in that machine, and if the machine breaks because of it, the media manufacturer should be called - after all they should know what their paper/labels/transparencies support.

If I pour unleaded fuel on my diesel car, and it starts rattling and smoking, I'm not going to blame the car's manufacturer, am I?
    end user read a copier manual? like that will happen.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Are label sheets made for laser printers garanteed to work in all laser printers?

Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    end user read a copier manual? like that will happen.
    Honestly? Not my problem.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

End User 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    As far as Canon standing behind any damages resulting from printing labels, that's simply not going to happen.

The only ones that they even may stand behind are their own brand, which you would most likely need to go through an authorized dealer to purchase.

And yes, they are quite pricey.
    What do you mean their own brand? Who's own brand of what?

I did buy the copier through an authorized dealer. Wouldn't damage caused by properly using the machine as it is intended to be used be covered by warranty? If not any judge would without a doubt hold Canon responsible for their product failing from using it as intended in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
    What do you mean their own brand? Who's own brand of what?

I did buy the copier through an authorized dealer. Wouldn't damage caused by properly using the machine as it is intended to be used be covered by warranty? If not any judge would without a doubt hold Canon responsible for their product failing from using it as intended in every way.
    Canon has their own brand of labels.

I really doubt that Staples could get these for you; you would need to go to a full line dealer.

No harm in checking with Staples, though.

Like I said before, get ready for some sticker shock - they're not cheap.

And PLEASE stop slamming Canon every chance you get!!!!! It seems that you delight in every chance you get to do so!!!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

End User 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Canon has their own brand of labels.

I really doubt that Staples could get these for you; you would need to go to a full line dealer.

No harm in checking with Staples, though.

Like I said before, get ready for some sticker shock - they're not cheap.

And PLEASE stop slamming Canon every chance you get!!!!! It seems that you delight in every chance you get to do so!!!
    The Avery labels were $15 for 250, anyway it's my customer that pays them, or did you mean the Canon ones are expensive? Anyway with how Canon rips off their customers I'm never buying anything again from them, except maybe digital cameras, my camera is a Canon and it's awesome. Oh, sorry for slamming Canon again, but I don't like getting ripped off.

For my shipping labels I use a Brother thermal printer and I pay $20 for a roll of 800 labels.

The other day at Staples one guy was in the laser cartridge sections and took out his cell phone and I could hear "Exactly what size is this cartridge suppose to be, what I see here is $150, that's obviously not just a cartridge"... I can't imagine if he had my Canon and saw the cartridges are $700, I bet many people buy that Canon without the slightest clue the cartridges could be such an absurd price for only 2800 prints, but once they've used the half filled ones that come with it, it's too late and you can't return it. But of course I bought it knowing that hell would freeze over before I bought a Canon cartridge. The sales guy was trying to get me to buy a set of cartridges along with the copier, the copier was $200 less than the cartridges!

The Avery labels were $15 for 250, anyway it's my customer that pays them, or did you mean the Canon ones are expensive? Anyway with how Canon rips off their customers I'm never buying anything again from them, except maybe digital cameras, my camera is a Canon and it's awesome. Oh, sorry for slamming Canon again, but I don't like getting ripped off.

For my shipping labels I use a Brother thermal printer and I pay $20 for a roll of 800 labels.

The other day at Staples one guy was in the laser cartridge sections and took out his cell phone and I could hear "Exactly what size is this cartridge suppose to be, what I see here is $150, that's obviously not just a cartridge"... I can't imagine if he had my Canon and saw the cartridges are $700, I bet many people buy that Canon without the slightest clue the cartridges could be such an absurd price for only 2800 prints, but once they've used the half filled ones that come with it, it's too late and you can't return it. But of course I bought it knowing that hell would freeze over before I bought a Canon cartridge. The sales guy was trying to get me to buy a set of cartridges along with the copier, the copier was $200 less than the cartridges!
    Since you already have your mind made up, I see no point in trying to help you any further.

Goodbye.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I have several copy shops as clients and some commercial printer buddies...none of them buy anything, not even paper from a place like staples. You're comparing office superstore stuff to commercial grade equipment. Anything at the office superstores is really expensive.

Did you ever hear of the saying, "i'll give you the razor for free but charge you for the blade." Gillette used to give out free razors, well the blades were expensive as hell. Same principle at the office superstore. You can get the hardware for cheaper (usually less than the supplies), but they'll make up for it in the inks/toners. See there is an inverse relationship between the cost of a machine and the cost per print. As the cost of the machine goes up (as does speed, volume, etc.), the cost of the print goes down. I know people who are using toner devices and inkjet web presses that are paying a super low price per print, maybe even lower than your infamous .4 cents. But they're paying hundreds of thousands, and some millions for the equipment. Their machines will blow yours away anyday, unless maybe you want just one print. But they're made to run all day and run fast.

Let's say you end up growing really fast and before you know it you're printing a million color pages per month. You're not going to hook up 50 or whatever little inkjets are you? You'd have to consolidate into one or more machines that are faster and handle bigger sizes of paper.

I'd never wish anyone ill will, but honestly if you ever had to use a machine other than your modified inkjet, I think you wouldn't be able to handle it. You'd have a coronary or something when you get the price quote, but that's just the way things are. Now if you want an inkjet and a laser, I think the new HP Indigos are a cross between the two, or maybe they take a thick sludge ink that gets diluted with water like a press, I'm not sure. But again, you'd have a heart attack when you see the sticker price, and a million dollar printer isn't something to fool around testing generic inks with.

Now everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Canon has been a leader in many different fields and I think they have some of the nicest machines out there. I just wish they'd go back to the way they used to make them...like tanks of steel baby...but they're still pretty awesome. Again though, I'm referencing the upper end of their product offering. You have something made to cater to the office superstore junkies.