Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

transformer or voltage regulator

which one is preferable to use, a voltage regulator or a step up/step down transformer for a copy machine?

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    Truthfully, I have never resorted to either method. It is up to the customer to provide the needed power to run the device. As soon as you become involved in the power delivery to the equipment, you are assuming responsibility for the safety of the equipment and the customers. This is also a consideration, in the Philippines, do they use 50 or 60 hz power frequency?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maks View Post
    which one is preferable to use, a voltage regulator or a step up/step down transformer for a copy machine?

be careful with voltage regulators/
    they caused havoc on the old CLC series=/ ERROR CODES-JAMS- Many Headaches

anytime I see one on a printer- especially those Large Back up Power supply's, I disconnect them
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

i use step down transformers as the voltage supply here is 220 v . some of my machines are from US requiring 110v . regarding the hz issue , i havent had much of issues with it
    a machine is only as good as your tech : source:screwtape ; the scary one

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Voltage regulator or transformer

This should depend on the source of AC mains supply and the equipment rating. If it is a 220v-240v source and u have a 110v-120v equipment rating then you will definately require a step down transformer, the reverse is also true. Many equipment are now being manufactured with automatic change-over switch detection circuitry. AS for the use of voltage regulator in copy machines, I really consider them very unnecessary and uncalled for.The built-in switched mode power supply unit (SMPS) of a copier is fully and well stabilized. Ideally they would be no need of additional EXTERNAL stabilization. However in certain situations, like when you are to use a generator as AC source to power the equipment, the use of a voltage regulator could be considered . This is usually due to fluctuating output voltage and frequency of the generator.This is common in this part of the globe where i live. Just yesterday I replaced a faulty voltage regulator on a generator powering IR2200.