Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hard drive report needed

Well I have been asked to come up with a hard drive report on used copiers that we get back in trade stating that the hard drives in the copiers have been erased, partition deleted, reformatted, and reloaded. Also needs to include if the customer wants us to give them the hard drive and what is the cost. I will see what I can come up with, any suggestions?

Thanks

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    We discussed this a couple months back. My advice, is that the customer should bear the cost of the replacement hard drive, and the hour of time to accomplish this task at your normal billable rates, if they insist on possession of the hard drive. This is needed because the butcher buyers need a working machine for resale. Customers should be assured that formatting the drive and reloading system software will hide any personal data from any but the most determined snoop. On the newer models, I believe from 2270 series onward, the ability to clear the data areas is present in the management area of Functions. This blows out everything, including LMS licenses, MEAP etc. It basically turns the copier back into a virgin.

Make sure these customers are purchasing one of the two ways to protect themselves on their future purchase with either encryption or hard drive erase options.

Technician 250+ Posts
    Seems straight forward to me. Just make a checksheet listing: Customer, Make, Model, then a checksheet format erased, partiticon deleted etc. Have box for if customer wants the HDD. If yes, list the Canon Part number and customer cost + labor charge. Then tech signs he/she acomplished the above work and give to billing for invoicing and the HDD to shipping.

BTW: MrFixit is right on. When a customer wanted a 100% guarantee - we installed a new HDD, loaded system software, physically destroyed the disk, and sent a really nice bill.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Hard drive report needed

Quote Originally Posted by kuby View Post
    Well I have been asked to come up with a hard drive report on used copiers that we get back in trade stating that the hard drives in the copiers have been erased, partition deleted, reformatted, and reloaded. Also needs to include if the customer wants us to give them the hard drive and what is the cost. I will see what I can come up with, any suggestions?

Thanks

READ THIS PDF.

Hard Drive Security Init.pdf
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Teckat, do you know if the hard drives can be read by regular computer software, ie. Windows, Dos, Linux, Unix, or is it a unique software altogether. If it is unique what is the operating system and what bit is it? Can not find anything on the operating system software as to what it uses.

Thanks

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Hard drive report needed

Quote Originally Posted by kuby View Post
    Teckat, do you know if the hard drives can be read by regular computer software, ie. Windows, Dos, Linux, Unix, or is it a unique software altogether. If it is unique what is the operating system and what bit is it? Can not find anything on the operating system software as to what it uses.

Thanks

Don't think that is possible, think it's unique -
    will see
    if I can pry something from my Canon Engineering friend

Canon is very secretive when it comes to it's product line software
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Thanks, I have Banks and other people asking. Info will not be distributed, you can email me if you find out anything. You have my address.

Thanks again

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Basically all MPFs and printers use a VERY proprietary version of Linux, and it is always ROM based.

I highly doubt that you'll ever get any more info than that.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    I fancy myself to be an above average bit-head, and even before the whole fiasco went up this last summer, I tried to access pulled hard drives to see what I could see. Under windows, most of the partitions are unreadable. I even tried some forensic software to see what I could pry out of the drive, and I was never able to produce any data of any use. I believe it is a great deal to do with the fact that the fellow in the news story runs his own company providing digital security solutions. (I emailed him after researching him online, and he was fairly forthright in stating that the news people were over simplifying the process and overstating the problem. Imagine that, a news story not getting all the facts right...) I believe it is much to do over nothing, but the customers don't thinks so,,,, and we know who is always right!

Yea, I figured the "average Joe" would not be able to get info off the drive. But with security issuses people are freaking out. Have a few customers that will not let us leave with the hard drive in the copier. I have looked at the drives and could not access any information on them. Tried software that is suppose to get the info off the drive and still nothing.