Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

iR1022iF - add toner

hey....kinda new to Canons and dont know too much about them....Ive got an iR1022iF that keeps saying to add toner. Ive tried 2 different toner cartridges and it seems to work for around 10 pages then comes up to add toner again.

If i take out the toner cartridge and put it back in itll last another 10 pages....there is no toner pump to replace but is there a TD sensor that could be shagged?

The drum was worn and leaving lines so ive replaced that also, don't think it'd have anything to do with the add toner tho.

Thanks for the help!

try this ...

hi semee,

don't know your specific machine but many of the older canons gave a wrong "add toner" message when the toner sensor was covered with a layer of toner. try to clean the sensor with a qtip. might fix your problem. please post if it worked.
    thanks and good luck
    peter
    p.s.: keep in mind that the canon machines are monocomponent , no extra developer

Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    hey....kinda new to Canons and dont know too much about them....Ive got an iR1022iF that keeps saying to add toner. Ive tried 2 different toner cartridges and it seems to work for around 10 pages then comes up to add toner again.

If i take out the toner cartridge and put it back in itll last another 10 pages....there is no toner pump to replace but is there a TD sensor that could be shagged?

The drum was worn and leaving lines so ive replaced that also, don't think it'd have anything to do with the add toner tho.

Thanks for the help!

Inside The Dev unit tube (into which you put the toner cartridge) there is a shutter that lines up with the pull off slot of the toner cartridge. It is opened and closed with the 1/4 rotation of the cartridge by a nipple on the rear of the cartridge . If the shutter is in the wrong position or a spurious toner is used the shutter may not open correctly and no or little toner will get through. With the cartridge out you should be able to fit in a couple of fingers and feel the shutter and if necessary move the shutter position. Careful as it can be messy
    Happy Christmas

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Thanks for the replies....I replaced the entire dev unit and also cleaned the bias spring contacts - the white wire that goes over the toner tube - that connects to the dev unit with no fix...turns out it was a metal wire contact on the bottom of the dev unit. Had a TINY bit of toner across it increasing resistance. Cleaned it off and its all good now!

Cheers guys - thanks for the ideas.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Well that fix lasted about a week....got called back today, cleaned the same contacts / wires at the bottom of the dev tube with no fix this time. Think maybe before I disturbed something that only temporary fixed it.

I'm sure its not the dev tube / unit as I did try another one from a new machine with no fix. So this would include the toner sensor antenna? or td sensor....I can assume these are good.

Is there a board that determines the level of toner required? What else could possibly cause it to keep asking for toner? - think ive eliminated most things trying the other dev tube.

Cheers for the help.

danielstabile
    The problem may lie in the lack of contact between the blade and high voltage from the machine. Check with multimeter if there is continuity between right metal plate and side blade.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    iR1022iF - add toner

Check if the Bias Spring is in correctly.

spring091.jpg
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    iR1022iF - add toner

check & re-seat the dev antenna wire/
    remove the front door and front cover behind the door to see the wire
    It is the only white wire that you will see. It runs from the right of the toner cartridge area then over it. It has two connections, one on the right and one on the left. Re-seat both of those. The incoming line is the one on the right from the DCON

see picture below
    forum pic.jpg
    information/ is courtesy of Canon Forum poster
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**