Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Switched email hosts - gmail not working!

Hi all! We have a Canon ir1025if and a 3235i and are having problems with scanning to email. We switched our email hosting to gmail and I have been tinkering with the email/i-fax settings and nothing seems to work. Even called the place we bought them from but still haven't found a solution. I'm trying to get the 1025 working first since it is in my office (3235 is in another office 3 hrs. away). I have changed the ports to 993 for receiving and tried 465 and 587 for sending. Have even tried the ip of the smtp server. Any suggestions?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Switched email hosts - gmail not working!

what is your email address?

screenshots

Here are some screenshots of the current settings

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Question :
    How do I Use GMAIL as SMTP Server for Universal Send?

Answer :

Lately there have been lots of requests on our imageRUNNERS to use GMAIL as the SMTP Server. Here is the info from mail.google.com.
    Configuring other mail clients

The Quick Answer

• Follow the instructions below to set up POP access in most POP clients.
    • Google Apps users, please follow the default instructions unless otherwise noted, replacing 'your_domain.com' with your actual domain name.

We offer instructions for configuring some clients not in our supported client list. If you encounter difficulties, we suggest contacting your mail client's customer support department -- we're unable to provide assistance for clients not in our supported POP client list.
    Non-supported clients:
    While configuration instructions are available, we're currently unable to provide support for these clients.
    Standard instructions:
    1. Enable POP in Gmail. Don't forget to click Save Changes when you're done.
    2. Configure your client to match the settings below: Incoming Mail (POP3) Server - requires SSL:pop.gmail.com
      Use SSL: Yes
      Port: 995
      Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS:smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
      Use Authentication: Yes
      Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
      Port: 465 or 587
      Account Name: your full email address (including @gmail.com or @your_domain.com) Email Address: your email address (username@gmail.com or username@your_domain.com) Password: your Gmail password Unless you're using recent mode to download mail to multiple clients, make sure you've opted not to leave messages on the server. Your Gmail settings determine whether or not messages stay on the server, so this setting in your client won't affect how Gmail handles your mail.
      Please note that if your client does not support SMTP authentication, you won't be able to send mail through your client using your Gmail address.
      Also, if you're having trouble sending mail but you've confirmed that encyrption is active for SMTP in your mail client, try to configure your SMTP server on a different port: 465 or 587.
    3. You're now ready to use POP with your Gmail address.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

With the current settings and an SMTP sending port of 587, I keep getting the error 0801.

causes for an 801 communication error include:

• A timeout error occurred while the machine was communicating with the SMTP server to transmit an e-mail message, or transmit/receive an I-Fax, due to a problem with the server.
    • The SMTP server returned an error message during the SMTP connection.
    • The settings for the e-mail address are incorrect.

charm,

I used the info you gave me and tried ports 465 and 587 and now came up with error 0752. I attached a screenshot of the settings in Remote UI. Maybe I need to change something.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I changed the smtp back to smtp.gmail.com and still no luck. Tried with both ports as well and still showing error 0752.

here is a link to help at Gmail - Outlook Express - Gmail Help
    I think you have to manually change the SSL ports in service mode as well - copier>option>body>level 2

Well I talked to the salesman that sold the units to me and he's been working with me on this issue for a while. Apparently Gmail has to authenticate using TLS and this printer does not support that. Is there any other free email providers similar to Gmail that do not require the authentication and work well with Canon copiers?