Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technician

Re: IR C6800CN Black stripes: E000747-2028 , E000747-0331, E000020-0190

Thanks for all the advice, I have tried everything suggested but still the same problem as in the previously attached pictures.
    Found red shavings in the fixing unit, from the lower pressure roller and upper fixing roller.
    I think these need replacing. I think the machine is getting too hot and requires an air conditioned
    room as it is located in Sri Lanka and there is quite high humidity, as the plastic vents on the left
    of the machine has turned slightly brown since shipping it their from the United Kingdom.
    The machine worked for about a month, since being shipped over.

If there is anyone in Sri Lanka who can fix this machine please contact me.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts vigour's Avatar

Do you have the exact voltage and cycle (Hz) as the UK.

Clean or replace your filters, when brown or magenta residue is on the vents.
    Last edited by vigour; 01-05-2012 at 05:43 AM.

Technician

The a.c. mains voltage in sri lanka is between 230V and 240V and has a frequency of 50Hz.
    Nominally 230V, with some minor fluctuations, this is the same as the U.K.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    IR C6800CN Black stripes:  E000747-2028 , E000747-0331, E000020-0190

yes your fuser needs rebuilding and yes this machine should be ran in a controlled environment. The heat and humidity will ruin the toner and starter while it is still in the developer units rendering the machine useless.

Your 747 error codes are a communication issue which could be a build up of corrosion, loose connector or possibly a bad board all together.

As for the digital lines you posted I would look at your replacing your RAM as teckat mentioned and replacing the Main Controller-Sub pcb FM2-5899-000
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by manya View Post
    The a.c. mains voltage in sri lanka is between 230V and 240V and has a frequency of 50Hz.
    Nominally 230V, with some minor fluctuations, this is the same as the U.K.

u posted on this issue last January/February of 2011 ---???
    where have u or this printer been since then ?

where I posted some issues for u to look at

did u replace the memory-

020-0190=YELLOW ISSUE///check patch image read sensor--check ITB Sheet

If the process unit is left alone for a long time in a high humidity environment, the primary transfer ATVC control mechanism that goes on when the main power is turned on can cause electrical discharge between the primary transfer roller and the primary transfer static eliminator. The discharge can cause the resistance of the primary transfer roller to fluctuate. Malfunction of the primary transfer ATVC control mechanism can lead to an error associated with E020 or can adversely affect color reproduction.

check in service mode below

COPIER>DISPLAY>MISC
    ENV-TR Display the environmental ranges
    Display the environmental ranges for transfer controlling according to the environment (temprature and humidity) inside the printer.
    Range of value--------------
    1: Low humidity (to 5.8 g)
    2: Normal humidity (5.9 to 17.3 g)
    3: High humidity (from 17.4 g)
    Factory default value: The value adjusted at the factory/The value after RAM cleared: 2

COPIER>DISPLAY>ANALOG
    TEMP-----Use it to check the machine inside temperature (environment sensor; in deg C).
    HUM------Use it to check the machine inside humidity (environment sensor; in %RH).
    ABS-HUM--Use it to check moisture content (environment sensor; in g).

PRINTER
    Operating environment
    (temperature range) 15 to 30 deg C

Operating environment
    (humidity range) 25% to 80%
    If the site is in a high humidity environment, turn on the environment
    switch (so that the drum heater will go on regardless of the state of the main power switch.

Operating environment

(atmospheric pressure) 810.6 to 1013.3 hpa (0.8 to 1.0 atm)

there are numerous adjustments in service mode- in level 1/2 for high humidity environment

check your manual
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by manya View Post
    Canon IR C6800CN, prints evenly closely spaced black stripes in the direction the paper exits the printer (1mm black/white stripes horizontal to long side of A4 paper / stripes vertical to short side of A4 paper). The prints are the same whether there is a paper on the copier glass or there isn't a paper placed on the glass, same applies when trying to print using the network connection. The following errors E000747-2028 , E000747-0331, E000020-0190 are generated intermittently and the main power needs to be cycled. I have performed a drum phase adjustment in service mode as it was requesting "Check Drum Phase", prior to adjusting drum phase copies were blurred with black/white stripes, now copies have only black stripes. When performing test print MCYBk Horizontal Stripes (TYPE=10) using service mode in colour, print outs have Red, Blue, Yellow, Black (12mm stripes horizontal to long side of A4 paper / stripes vertical to short side of A4 paper) and grainy with all colours having a tint of black. When test print - 16-Gradation (TYPE=4) image is overlapped with black stripes. The pressure roller seems to be wearing out as I found a lot of red silicon shavings which I cleaned, the shaving seem to be from one end of the lower pressure roller and the unit housing the fuser gets very hot, compared to when it was in the UK. Currently looking to source new pressure roller and fixing roller. The machine is currently in Sri Lanka, not sure if there needs to be temperature adjustments (humidity switch, etc). The A-Si drum has completed just over 250000 copies and the service manual states it has a life of 500000. Please advise if there is more to it than replacing fuser parts which I am looking to source. Please advise where the problem could be. Local Canon dealer in Sri Lanka is not interested, as they didn't sell the machine. I have no problem taking it apart as I have cleaned the primary charging wires in the past.
    With a copy quality problem like you described I would start with a black developer unit. On this machine though, they are correct in saying historically many problems such as yours are often fixed by cleaning and reseating the boards on the main controller pcb.

You had this problem almost a year ago. What exactly have you replaced?
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

Technician

Thank you for all who are giving advice really appreciate it and I am learning loads. The error codes and translation is not available in the service manual does someone have a list they can share with me please.

I am between the UK and Sri Lanka. I travel to sri lanka every 6-8 months. I removed the boards and cleaned the contacts and reseated them as described in the thread that was in February and again in December 2011. Did the adjustments as well in Service Mode as stated in this thread, touch screen was playing up this time and I did a recalibration of the touch screen, still coordinates were off by about 1cm, so it was hit and miss to get various options (i.e to select an option on the screen you need to touch a position above the icon). At the moment no parts have been replaced.

I am back in the UK now and trying to find memory units and the upper fixing roller and lower pressure roller to purchase. Building up a shopping list. I tried to find the memory units in February didn't have much luck. Finding parts even in the UK seems difficult. Where can I buy a Main Controller-Sub pcb FM2-5899-000 and the memory, a quick google search tells me the main controller is around $600. I can buy a working machine with half the PPM of the IR6800 on ebay such as IR3100 for that price. Can existing boards be repaired I have experience in SMT soldering and have the tools for this and I can find most IC's as long as it is not proprietary or has software embedded in it.

How much would it roughly cost to get this back to a useable state, I want to try to fix this for around a max of $1500, as I don't want to go through the shipping, customs process again. I purchased the machine on ebay for $600 including finsisher R1 unit, and spent another $500 in shipping freight? Didn't realize that parts for this was expensive at the time (seems like I bought a Rolls Royce which is now broke)

It was working perfectly in my cold garage in the UK for 3 months before shipping.

I have never had problems with small HP laser printers being unused at home for over a year, so didn't know that copiers need to be powered on all the time.

Between February and December the machine has been powered down and wrapped in polyethylene in a sealed room so that no moisture can get in. It is now wrapped up again. I think without these parts there is not much I can do by taking it apart, hence this thread running for a year sorry for this.

Since the process unit has been left alone for long periods, can it be fixed?

Charm5496 mentions the "heat and humidity will ruin the toner and starter while it is still in the developer units rendering the machine useless"
    is there a way to fix this or does the black and colour developer units need replacing or is there a method of cleaning.

The humidity switch has been turned on the copier.

Is there a procedure for storing these types of copiers over long periods of time, i.e. switched off?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

DO NOT INVEST ANY MORE MONEY IN THIS MODEL

IT WILL BE A WASTE OF TIME>ENERGY>MONEY
    -

go buy a used iR3220 for that money

added on error codes and printer issues from Canon are not published in original manuals/
    they use tech pubs to notify Canon Authorized dealers & Canon Authorized trained techs if they still work for a Canon Authorized company
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

Did come up with this conclusion as well, however I would rather get this working as I could end up in the same boat buy buying a different model. I have found the fuser roller, cleaning webb and outside heating roller on ebay ~$150 in total. I think If I keep web searching I could probably find the pressure roller and also may the Main Controller-Sub pcb and SDRAM. Do you know What the SDRAM canon part code is for 512MB or is there an equivalent type of SDRAM I can pick up from any computer shop?

What I would like to know whether the developer units can be cleaned, so that fresh toner can be put in? I am happy to strip this machine down to bits the next time I am over in sri Lanka. but want to be prepared and gather all the parts needed. I have already spent $200 on additional toners, and I have spent nights reading most of the service manual which is pretty big. Giving up is a last attempt, I hope I can get the IR6800 I have to work, without spending too much. I will try to find someone who works for Canon in Sri Lanka who can fix this model.

In the case of buying another IR copier on ebay, what should I need to know about in general with regards to storing for unused periods? I was thinking of buying another IR6800 if it comes up on ebay and using this faulty one for spares.

If I go for another model I don't want to repeat the same mistakes again. What attracted me to the IR6800 was its A-SI drum, which is better than organic coated drums from what I read on the web.

I know some copiers have the toner and organic drum all in one unit, like home laser printers. Are these better than having the drum separate?
    Last edited by manya; 01-07-2012 at 04:51 AM.