Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ineedhelp

Scan and Send Issues!! Code #801

Hello!

I'm the IT guy at a firm with a userbase of 200+.We have a Canon ir5065 and ir5020 at our office. We have been able to scan and send to our emails in PDF format for years until last week but now when using this function we get many #801 error codes. The weird thing is when we scan and send in TIFF it works perfectly fine. The email is sent to the users mailbox with the file attached! This just won't work with sending PDF files. It will try to resend abour 3 times until it ends with the message "Check Server" followed by a printed error receipt.

I've looked at the administration pages for both printers, went to Additional Functions, and have looked over all network settings. Everything looks correct. SMTP address, DNS, printer IP's, and I have also increased the "Maximum Data Size for Sending" 3 to 9 (we have a 10MB limit on send/receiving email attachments).

We are on Exchange 2007. Any help would be appreciated! I've been trying to figure this out for a few hours now.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

#801 [SMTP] Sending to e-mail server
    Cause=
    -A timeout error occurred during communication with the SMTP server to transmit an E-mail, or to transmit/receiveI-Fax, due to a problem with the server.
    -The from E-mail address is not correct.
    -The SMTP server returned an error while trying to connect.
    -The SMTP server rejected the E-mail due to some kind of spam
    policy filtering.
    Remedy=
    -Check and verify that the SMTP server is operating properly.
    -Check and verify that the from E-mail address is valid for the SMTP server that is being used.
    -Check the network status.
    -The SMTP server might be rejecting the E-mail because of some configuration settings that are configured in Canon device,
    try the following:
    Change the subject field to something other then ATTACHED IMAGE. Select
    Notes:
    Please use Microsoft Outlook Express (DO NOT USE OUTLOOK) from a computer to test, verify and confirm the correct requirements for the E-mail server that the customer is trying to use to send E-mail. You can bring up Microsoft Outlook Express by clicking START > RUN then type MSIMN and click OK. Then create an E-mail account using the information that was provided to you and try to send an email from MS Outlook Express

#801 [SMB] Sending to a shared folder
    Cause=
    -The destination is full or out of available free space to write to.
    -The user account does not have proper privileges or enough disk space quota available for this user account to write to this destination.
    -The SMB client setting is not turned ON or not properly configured on the copier/machine.
    -Software FIREWALL or Internet Security application on the destination computer might be turned ON or not properly configured to permit this traffic.
    -The shared folder at the destination computer has folder encryption turned on.
    Remedy=
    -Check and verify that the destination has enough available free disk space.
    -Check and verify that the user account does have proper access and disk quota available for writing files to this location.
    -Check and verify that the SMB client protocol is turn ON and that the SMB client is properly configured on the copier/machine.
    -Check and verify that there are no software firewalls or Internet security applications running on the destination computer and if so make sure that they properly configured to permit this traffic .
    -Check and verify that the destination shared folder does not have folder encryption turned on. If the customer is not able to turn off folder encryption then a new or different folder must be
    shared.

#801 [FTP] Sending to an FTP server
    Cause=
    -You are sending to a destination that you have no write permission to.
    -When the machine tried to send to the server, a file with the same name already exists on the FTP server and that file cannot be overwritten.
    -When the machine tried to send to the server, either the folder name is incorrectly specified or the password is incorrect.
    Remedy=
    -Check that you have write permission to that destination.
    -Check that the destination does not already have a file with the same, make sure that the file on the server can be overwritten.
    -Check that you are sending to the proper destination and that you are entering the correct user name and password for that destination.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

ineedhelp
    Thanks for the detailed reply mate! I will try this tomorrow and post my results.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedhelp View Post
    ...able to scan and send ... for years until last week...
    What, if any, changes were made last week? And TIFF works fine??

Try this:
    Turn Off copier at main switch then hold down 1 & 9 while powering up. This will run a scan disk utility, which takes 15-60 minutes depending on the model.you would have to go into service mode to actually format the partitions on the drive for scanning. If the scan disk utility doesn't work I'd call a tech to reinstall the firmware.

ineedhelp
    Quote Originally Posted by D_L_P View Post
    What, if any, changes were made last week? And TIFF works fine??

Try this:
    Turn Off copier at main switch then hold down 1 & 9 while powering up. This will run a scan disk utility, which takes 15-60 minutes depending on the model.you would have to go into service mode to actually format the partitions on the drive for scanning. If the scan disk utility doesn't work I'd call a tech to reinstall the firmware.
    My boss mentioned to me today he did a directories and services update from 2007 to 2010 for Active Directory last week. Looking at logs for both printers I can see they started acting up the day after he did the update. Not sure what was updated specifically so I'll have to look into that.

Yes scan and send in TIFF works fine. PDF is the problem. Very strange. I will try your method and the one provided by teckat shortly. Thanks guys.

ineedhelp
    Woooow I think you may have solved this for me! I used your suggestion teckat to remove the default subject "ATTACHED IMAGE" from "Email/Ifax Settings" and both printers can scan & send PDF files now. I did a lot of test runs on both printers and not a problem so far. Its nuts how a small setting like that could cause such a mess. Didn't even think of checking there. knock on wood this should be resolved now. Thank you guys for your help it is much appreciated!ail/I-Fax Settings E-mail/I-Fax Settings

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ineedhelp View Post
    Woooow I think you may have solved this for me! I used your suggestion teckat to remove the default subject "ATTACHED IMAGE" from "Email/Ifax Settings" and both printers can scan & send PDF files now. I did a lot of test runs on both printers and not a problem so far. Its nuts how a small setting like that could cause such a mess. Didn't even think of checking there. knock on wood this should be resolved now. Thank you guys for your help it is much appreciated!ail/I-Fax Settings E-mail/I-Fax Settings

Thanks, good find
    ELVIS.jpg
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts

Nice documentation
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself