Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    312view

iR-C3220 w ImagePass C1: Can't retrieve from mailboxes

Hi folks, first time poster but long-time admirer of the incredible help folks provide here.

We recently received an iR-C3220 with ImagePass C1. Just about everything works great on this machine, except that I can't see or retrieve docs from the Fiery via WebScan.

I know the PC-LAN-iR connection is sound because I can see/preview the docs in the MEAP UI, view and configure the machine via CWS, and WebTools load and access config data without a problem. I can pull a scan via ScanGear. But for whatever reason WebScan shows no content in any of the mailboxes.

I've also tried to get at the content via Fiery Bridge, but it's a version I found @ Konica and doesn't seem to connect to our machine.

For additional background: the machine is set up on a static IP, prints without a problem, and I've set a PW on the admin account.

I've been wrestling with this madness on/off for a couple of weeks. Any leads would be incredibly appreciated.

While I'm at it: I can't help but wonder why the Fiery can be configured with an outbound email account, since it appears that without a universal send kit the thing can't send docs. Am I missing something here too?

Many thanks!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

*The optional Color Universal Send Kit and
    Resolution Switching Board are required.

The Send function enables you to send scanned image or document data to file
    servers, or send it by e-mail or I-fax.

[Send] appears if the optional Color Universal Send Kit, Super G3 FAX Board, and
    Resolution Switching Board are installed, or only if the optional Color Universal Send Kit
    and Resolution Switching Board are installed. [Fax] appears only if the optional Super G3
    FAX Board and Resolution Switching Board are installed.

Universal Send makes it simple to convert color hard-copy documents into
    digital files for sending to one or many destinations. With this feature, the end user
    can scan, save and instantly send documents in any of five file formats,
    including JPEG, TIFF, PDF and compact PDF.

If Universal Send is installed on your device documents stored in the mailbox will be able to be sent to any location where Universal Send is capable of sending.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

312view
    Thanks, Teckat. I should have been clearer and/or separated my question into two posts.

I do understand the need for Universal Send to push documents from the device control panel. I'll come back to that in a sec below.

However, it's a documented capability of the C1 to enable network users to extract documents out of mailboxes on the device (as PDF or TIF) via the Fiery WebScan utility that is built into the C1. But I can't. Argh.

In this case, I am able to do all of the following:

* Scan docs directly over the network via ScanGear and TWAIN acquire. However, this isn't a practical solution in a large workgroup.
    * Scan and store docs in mailboxes
    * Preview and print scanned docs directly on the device control panel
    * Preview and print mailbox docs over the LAN via the native device UI (which I believe is an MEAP app), though that doesn't allow document downloading as WebTools does. I can also configure mailboxes via the UI without a problem
    * Access Fiery WebTools on the device over the LAN, either as an admin or user, and configure settings (e.g. network or server) via WebTools
    * Access and configure the device via CWS v4 or v5, though I've been sticking with v4 since I understand that v5 isn't fully compatible with the older C1.

So, I know that the docs are in the C3220 mailboxes, that the Fiery WebTools software is running, and I can talk with both over the network. I can even load WebScan, but I cannot see anything in or download anything from the mailboxes, which is a native capability.

That's still the great (and frustrating) mystery. If you or anyone can help, I'd be grateful!

================================================== ========================

Now, I'll come back to the email issue which is a purely academic curiosity: If the Fiery only enables pulling docs over a network (when it works properly), but not pushing docs as is possible with the Universal Send kit, why does it enable the entry of an outbound email account?

Again, this isn't really a problem -- at least not as long as I can get docs out of the mailboxes.

My question about that was more academic

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    To save the files from the copier's "mailbox" you need to install the jbig viewer plug-in.

The Fiery remote scan is simpler though. Try scanning to the "guest" mailbox. I've ran into that before where remote scan didn't see anything in any of the user created inboxes, but could in the pre-installed mailboxes like "guest" or "administrator". I can't say why, we didn't pursue it once we got it working.

Also, as far as I know the Fiery outbound e-mail is for job notification or error notification.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    By far the Fiery Remote Scan is a better solution.

Not only can you retrieve scans from the mailboxes on the Fiery, but you can initiate scans to pdf, tif, or jpg.

When you install it, it will also install itself as a TWAIN driver that you can use to scan into any scanning application.

312view
    Thank you both. However, while I believe I have all CDs that came with the printer and have searched high and low online, I can't seem to find a version of Remote Scan that's listed for use with a C3220/C-1. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Check your PM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

on the old Fiery's you could scan documents into the fiery mailbox and access them through the RUI of the fiery. That being said I can not recall ever doing that on the Image Pass series of controllers for the IRC line. I know you can accomplish on the more powerful Z3000 series

Fiery remote scan link:
    http://software.canon-europe.com/sof...7431.asp?model=
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

312view

My gratitude for the help continues...unfortunately so does my frustration with the issue!

I installed Remote Scan and unfortunately, I'm having the same experience as with WebScan.

Since I would think I were losing it if I were anyone else -- and I may be losing it -- I've attached a PDF that shows screencaps from the native UI, WebScan and Remote Scan so you can see the great mystery.

This is getting right up there with the Bermuda Triangle.

Canon iR c3220 Scan Mystery.pdf

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

To retrieve a scan file:

• Start the Remote Scan application or FieryBar Scan, or open the TWAIN compliant application, such as Photoshop or Acrobat.
    • If you opened the TWAIN compliant application, choose Import from the File menu and then choose Fiery Remote Scan as the scan device.
      Note: Make sure that you select the correct Remote Scan version.
    • Select the Print Server in the Configuration dialog box, and click OK.
      If the Print Server does not appear in My Fiery List, you must configure the list to communicate with the Print Server.
      For more information, see Adding Print Servers.
    • Click the Retrieve tab.
    • In the Mailbox field, enter the mailbox number or name.
      Note: Depending on the Print Server, you may have to enter a password to access the contents of the mailbox number or name. For information on setting up mailboxes, see WebTools Configure Help.
      A list of scan jobs appears.
    • In the Pages field, select if you want to retrieve the whole document, or just a particular page of the document.
    • Select if you want to Acquire or Send the scan.
      If you retrieved the scan using the Remote Scan TWAIN plug-in, and you want to acquire the scan job, click Acquire.
      If you retrieved the scan using Remote Scan application, and you want to send the scan job to a destination, see About sending a scan job

If you click on the "HELP" box in Fiery Remote Scan it gives you all the info you need to configure and use the program.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.