Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    nikseldon

Question Is a firmware upgrade for the Canon iR1024iF possible?

Hello,

I bought a Multifunctional Canon iR1024F which has the ability to send faxes. I later bought a network card for it which enabled me to print over LAN. The problem is that i do not have the send to e-mail function that a Cannon iR1024iF has.

Is there any way that I can upgrade the firmware to that of the Cannon iR1024iF without damaging it? And if yes, where do I get the firmware from?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Borsody75's Avatar
    Hello,

I I good know, it is impossible

nikseldon
    Why not? It's basically the same device, just that the firmware is different. I have a feeling the one on the iR1024F is crippled on purpuse, not that the device could not handle sending e-mails.

And if impossible, is there a way that I can still scan directly to a network destination? I have some FTP and SMB options, but while meddling with them I only managed to make the printer completely unresponsive to print requests, obviously unsuccessful in my attempt to scan directly to a shared.

I you have a look at the parts catalog, you can see a lot of differences.
    DC controller is different
    Image Processor PCB is different
    DDR MODULE PCB ASS'Y is different
    The send modell has a MEMORY, USB FLASH, 128MByte (Pendrive on image processor PCB), and a ROM PCB ASSEMBLY on it.

But it can scan via usb,

nikseldon
    It can scan via USB, but it's location in the office is very hard to access and there is no way for it to reach any desktop computer. I tried using a USB extender cable 4.5m, but that extends the already 2m long usb cable it has and that is a bit too much for the usb to handle. Therefore it does not work.

Perhaps you know a way to reset to factory default. Computers cannot connect to it since i meddled with the SMB and SNMP settings. The original software does not connect to it and detects it as Unknown device even though I can connect to the http port for changing settings.

To reset you have to go to service mode.
    Press additional function key then 2&8 simultaneously then additional function key again.
    Now you are in service mode.
    Press the + key several times as long as "clear" appears on the screen.
    Press ok
    Press the + key several times as long as "all" appears on the screen.
    Press ok, and wait.
    It will reboot, and all the settings will be cleared.

nikseldon
    Thanks for your help!

nikseldon
    I got into the service menu and, instead of choosing clear all, as you said, i pressed Download (it seemed to me like a firmware update option - not upgrade, but update). Now it has been showing

DOWNLOAD
    STANDBY

for a few minutes. I can;t do anything on it and I'm afraid to turn it off in case I might stop it while flashing the ROM.

Can I turn it off?

I did turn it off and it works now, after restarting it. Thank you.
    Last edited by nikseldon; 03-22-2011 at 02:46 PM.