Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts akhait01's Avatar

canon ir5870u gear on gear noise at warm up

I have a canon ir5870u printer and when it warms up, it makes this weird gear on gear noise, im afraid that its going to quit working. Im trying to get some feedback on what could possibly be wrong with it. I am new with this printer, if someone could help me, i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Alex

Service Manager 100+ Posts CanonHPTech's Avatar
    This machine is a little beyond novice or end-user serviceability. I mean that honestly because I am trained and I still dread touching these machines. These machines are also very noisy, a lot of problems come out of the Fixing/Fuser area. That is usually a clicking sound or a popping sound during idle rotation when nothing is printing. However, the only clicking/gear grinding sound I have ever heard on boot up on these was the Black Developer locked up. Could also be your waste toner pipe, but that is a road you do not want to venture down unless you're sure. If you can budget it, I would either recommend dealing with the noise if it is up and running or call a Canon authorized tech. If you go poking around in there you are bound to down the machine. Good luck.
    The glass maybe half full, but less is more...
    Printer + Fax + Copier = Jack Of Many Trades,
    but Master Of None
    Color Copier = Not A Color Printer
    InkJet MFP = Not A Fax Machine
    B/W Copier = Not A Press
    Finisher = Deal Closer (salesman, not accessory)
    Copier Tech = Admin's Stress Ball (Scapegoat)

Quote Originally Posted by CanonHPTech View Post
    This machine is a little beyond novice or end-user serviceability. I mean that honestly because I am trained and I still dread touching these machines. These machines are also very noisy, a lot of problems come out of the Fixing/Fuser area. That is usually a clicking sound or a popping sound during idle rotation when nothing is printing. However, the only clicking/gear grinding sound I have ever heard on boot up on these was the Black Developer locked up. Could also be your waste toner pipe, but that is a road you do not want to venture down unless you're sure. If you can budget it, I would either recommend dealing with the noise if it is up and running or call a Canon authorized tech. If you go poking around in there you are bound to down the machine. Good luck.

The machine works pretty good, i would say. The only problem is that it will only pick the paper from left upper tray, the other trays papper gets jammed. I cannot figure that one out either. Thanks for your feedback.
    Alex

The only other problem that i have is that it does not pick paper from any other trays but the upper right tray. They other trays get jammed up. THanks for your feedback. Alex

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    This machine is a little beyond novice or end-user serviceability. I mean that honestly because I am trained and I still dread touching these machines.
    Amen to that Brother!

If you have no manuals, then this will not be of much help, but you may be able to isolate the noise down to functional units by running the part check under the Functions area of Service Mode.