Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: canon w8400

jayj

canon w8400

Hi
    I own a Canon w8400 large format printer which worked fine up to about 2 months ago when a message came up to replace inks. After searching the web, I found refillable inks for 350euros which I bought & then fitted. When I turned on the printer it went through an initial sequence, then a printer message said that the mt cart needed to be replaced, which I did. Then I turned back on the printer and went through the iniatating sequence again. All good to this point. I went to print posters and printer went through all the motions as if it was going to print but as paper was coming out there was no print on it. The printer head was moving across as if it was printing. I cancelled print. Tried again still same outcome. Checked inks - some ink had been used and the mt cart has lots of waste ink in it. Tried a test print, still not printing so after looking on web took out print head which looked like it had fresh ink in it, soaked it in warm water for a while, let dry, put back in but still not printing. Now there is a printhead error message coming up on printer. Has any one any ideas?

Technician 250+ Posts
    You may not like the answer, but I strongly suggest you call someone trained on wide format printers. As I read your post, I get the feeling you are a user that tried taking a cheap route and may (MAY) have done some real damage. In my few years working with the 8000/000 series only once did I see a time when all the inks needed replacing at the same time - and it had dumped all the inks due to a bad purge unit. Quite a mess. The fact that all the ink ran out and you had to replace the MC at the same time, followed by another MC having lots of ink in it suggests to me an original problem in capping/purging followed by some bad decisions by someone that does not understand the functional operation of an W8400.

Your money, your call, but with using non-oem inks and performing self-repair it is possible the repair bill now may possibly be more than the unit is worth.

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Call a tech
    i understand that times are hard and money saved is good
    but not knowing what you are doing is not cost effective

Brian

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    canon w8400

Canon ink cartridges have some standards. It means they have a certain viscosity etc etc
    What you actually did was: Changing that standard.

So to answer your question: What happened with the printer?
    When you put the OTHER inks into the printer, ink starts to flow into the tubes. The general idea is to continue flowing to the head.
    Since the OTHER inks have other Standards, this is not possible and the ink is stuck somewhere.
    I will not go into details, why printer asked you to change maintenance and than print head, but here is simple procedure that maybe will solve the situation.

You have to "TELL" the printer to throw the bad ink away. (I have a small kid and I like this kinda talking)

So:
    1) Turn on the [Power] button on the printer
    2) Remove the roll holder from the roll holder slot.
    3) Enter the Main menu, and then select "Maintenance" > "Move Printer". Follow the instructions in the messages, and remove all of the ink tanks.
    4) THROW AWAY the removed ink tanks in the plastic bag.
    5) Never again use NON canon ink tanks.

Turn off the printer.

Buy some canon inks and turn the printer on.
    It will require you to put the new inks.

Hopefully it will work again. If not repeat the procedure. But this time don't throw the canon inks, but put them back again.

jayj
    Hi
    Thanks for your replies as also trying to learn a little more about my printer as am sure things will crop up again in the future as I use it frequently?

Costd - before I had changed the ink cartridges there was an message coming up that MT cart 'nearly full soon' and as soon as I changed ink it then said full. After seeing that the message 'ink needs to be changed' it didnt specify any particular colour so I changed all. I bought the inks from I believe a reputable company which sells on ebay. When I changed the cartridges, all seemed to have about the same amount left in each which was about 10ml of ink. Should have been completely empty before I changed them; I was just following the message on printer?
    V-P: when I turn the printer on now all I get is printer head error and turn off the power so I cannot follow your advice at moment?

Thanks
    JayJ

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    canon w8400

than you need to enter service mode: "Paper source + information" and turn on the printer.
    Do not release these buttons until you see the "S" sign on the right upper part of the display.

But I am thinking you should follow : ct copier repair ' advice