Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar

Angry iRAC5035 envelope creasing/wrinkling

Hi Kids,

I have a newly installed 5035 that wrinkles envelopes on the trailing edge. They are being run from the bypass tray. I have tried the Service Mode envelope feed speed turned to full speed from the half speed that is factory default. I also have tried Service Mode 2nd level setting of fuser speed for envelopes turned to 20. These are things gleaned from the Canon's tech support forum, as well as from a phone call to tech support this morning. With both these changes made, the copier still wrinkles most of the envelopes run through it, and the customer is not happy...

Has anyone had any luck with this issue? Com10 envelopes are what is being used.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    iRAC5035 envelope creasing/wrinkling

Are the COM10 envelopes the Pull & Seal type on the flap ??
    Try them !!!!

Some HP Printers will have that same symptom, tested three different brands to find one that would not wrinkle !!
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

We have had our fair share of headaches with envelopes and these machines. Tested different brands and styles and none of them run perfect althought the self sealing staples envelopes did a fairly decent job at a local non for profit that just purchased a 5030 last month. Seems like the slower speed units do a better job in my opinion.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

These envelopes are not pull and seal, but the plain ol' lick'em kind. Also they are pre-printed with their "From" address and slogan/logo, so they have already been thru someone else's press...

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixit51 View Post
    These envelopes are not pull and seal, but the plain ol' lick'em kind. Also they are pre-printed with their "From" address and slogan/logo, so they have already been thru someone else's press...

that will add to the issue !!/

have seen issues with raised company logos on heavy stock, & nightmare for techs

As a follow up, I can report that 3 other copiers were tested, 1 in our demo room, and 2 others in my territory. All wrinkled envelopes to some degree. Even manipulating the 2 settings through all combinations. When one setting looked promising, I would run multiples at that setting, and they always proved to be a false hope. Not sure what gets to happen next, my manager & salesman are involved, but Canon has not been contacted yet, (beyond my phone call to the tech support desk).

Hopefully, at least the salesman won't be so eager to promote the envelope feed in the future...

The Evidence brand are the worst, sold in big box stores.
    Mead brand showed some promise, but like everything else in this business, u learn not to expect consistency from paper

The Large & costly Envelope machines are the way to go for heavy duty work, but they also have issues.

Just got off the phone with Canon, had to call Support over a crashed internal finisher, and chatted about my previous ticket for the envelope issue. I was assured (wink wink) that Canon Inc. is still working on this well known issue, and that as soon as they have found a solution, Canon USA will get the info. Hope it is not as drawn out as the 3245 doc feeder debacle was...