Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Man About Town 250+ Posts CanonSco's Avatar

Re: Canon Imagepress 7010VPS supplied by Oce

I think the Fiery was the right choice. But I have not seen the OCE Primasync in action yet.

Out of curiosity, now Canon owns OCE, who would have been servicing the OCE variant?
    Yes, I am a nerd.
    Gaming PC - check. Raspberry Pi - Check. Custom ROM on phone - check. Thick glasses - check.

confuseduser

From what I have heard Oce can supply and service more or less the whole range of Imagerunner and Imagepress products. The prismasync version we looked at would have been serviced by oce but I have heard Canon is going to sell the 7010 with the prisma controller as well and quite a few of the canon engineers have already been trained on this system.

Technician

We have a Canon ImagePRESS C6000VP and a Oce VP4110 (with PRISMAsync)
    In terms of usability the PRISMAsync is much better.
    On color output i do not know because i have no experience with that.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Canon Imagepress 7010VPS supplied by Oce

from what I have heard all the Oce branhes across the US will be handling both the Oce and Canon lines. Also it has been said that the CBS branches might be merging with the Oce branches to reduce cost.

We are a canon dealership and are still deciding on if we want to sell the primasync or not.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

confuseduser

A commercial printer very local to us has purchased the 7010VPS with the Oce Prismasync. There is a very serious bug in the firmware of the Oce controller, which appears only after you have printed a job and the job is then supposingly deleted from the controller, in this printers case the job reappeared a week or so later and then printed without any warning within another different job. This commercial printer prints commercially sensitive information for several big well known organisations and in this case the machine reprinted several hundred notices of redundency, luckily this was noticed before the job was sent out. It seems some jobs that are deleted are never reprinted. others will reprint at random at any time without warning. This machine could cause you some serious problems unless you check every single sheet of every job. I'm more than happy with my 7010VP and Fiery combination, you have been warned...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Canon Imagepress 7010VPS supplied by Oce

YIKES!!!!

That is a huge issue. We have decided not to go with this is a solution for our customers thank GOD!!!
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Océ_employee

Hello,

I am working for Oce HQ in Venlo as international sales trainer for imagePRESS, for both the VP(efi) as VPS. A colleague pointed this thread out to me and I like to shed some light on things. I am not aware of the problems with Psync mentioned in this thread, which does not mean they do not exist.

In general: from my point of view both EFI and Psync (and of course also Creo) are very good controllers. Specs of the servers' hardware are comparable and all RIP's are based on Adobe PS3 RIP technology. Because of this, each rip is more or less able to generate the same level of quality and performance. The big difference is in the UI. EFI has a well accepted UI based on 18 years of experience. Psync is also based on Océ's 20+ years of experience in production printing. The UI concept of the Psync controller is copied from the Oce VP6250 b/w engine. Because the RIP is based on the Adobe PS3 rip the color management possibilities are equal to EFI and CREO, eg color profiles you use in EFI can also be used in the Psync. So the difference is in the usability. Psync can best be described as a RIP that stucturally guides you through the various tasks of the production printing process with focus on splitting tasks based on required skills with the objective of error free production. EFI is a RIP that offers many working many working methods, tools and ways to apply settings. It comes down to which user concept most appeals to you.

The first Psync for color was introduced in 2009 when we were still in bed with KM as an option for the KM Bizhub Pro C6501 (rebranded as the Oce CS665). We have gained a lot of experience here. This has lead to a very complete and mature RIP that now is an option for the imagePRESS.

Ok, to react to the issues mentioned in this thread. I am not saying they do not exist. If these problems are real, they will be dealt with. As I am familiar with the responsible departments in HQ service and R&D I know if these issues exist they will be dealt with approprietly. The Oce / Canon organization has processess in place for this. Like any other software the Psync roll out is executed in various phases with controller releases. Latest release is V1.3. Every relase included more functionality. I take your remarks very seriously and I have forwarded this thread to my colleagues in R&D, service and marketing.

If you are in the process of purchasing a imagePRESS my advice is to do a thorough investigation to decide which rip best suite your needs. Important is the skill level of your staff, amount of media used, your current equipment and workflow. Again, it is not a matter of which rip is better. It is a matter of which rip best fits your situation. Both Oce and Canon have the same portfolio. So try working on both solutions. We are happe to accomodate you

Any further questions you might have I am happy to answer.

Best regards, Thuur

Quote Originally Posted by confuseduser View Post
    The Prismasync (oce) locked up badly several times when processing several complex jobs whereas the Fiery processed the same files without any problems. On other test files the processing time was comparable on both machines. The poor colour output and the fact that the prisma crashed during the processing of our test files is what swung it for us in favour of the Fiery.
    anyone know if this OCE rip will hookup to a 6010 or 7010 VP and work?