Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bigbone

RAM for Canon iR3300

Hello, I need RAM to replace the original 128mB bar the printer was delivered with originally. Our service technician from Canon tells us the model is discontinued and they no longer have any RAM available. Can I get them anywhere else and what would the specs for them be? Like one of those cryptic (for me ;¬) definitions like «512 MB PC-3200 DDR SDRAM (184 Pin)»...

Any help appreciated, thank you!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    RAM for Canon iR3300

Re: RAM for Canon iR3300

you would be better off buying the RAM from a copier retailer or from a place like NWRS or HYTEC.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

bigbone

Quote Originally Posted by charm5496 View Post
    you would be better off buying the RAM from a copier retailer or from a place like NWRS or HYTEC.
    Thanks for the hint, charm, but I couldn't find either company on the internet. They rang no bell since I'm living in Switzerland but am more than willing to buy the RAM anywhere. Goggling the two company names gave me mostly results with a motor connection.

Could you perchance send me a link to one of the company's sites?

Thanks again!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    RAM for Canon iR3300

Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

bigbone

Thanks again, charm5496,

I tried their customer support and hopefully soon will know more on my Canon RAMQuest...

All the best!

CANRAM also one of the good ram supplier

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Are you sure that the memory is bad?

If it is, it (obviously) needs to be replaced, but if your intent is to add more memory it won't work.

If you get the right type, and say it's 256MB, the machine will only see and use 128MB of it.

For whatever it may be worth, the hard drive is in the same boat. Even if you put a terabyte drive in it it will only see and use 6MB.

BTW... There is a company in Texas called Southwest Memory International, which should be able to help as well. I can't find a web page for them, but they at least still seem to be in business. You'll probably need to call or email them. (Just do a Google search to find them.)
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

ir3300 machine can support up to 256MB only.
    Why you need to replace the ram?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
    Hello, I need RAM to replace the original 128mB bar the printer was delivered with originally. Our service technician from Canon tells us the model is discontinued and they no longer have any RAM available. Can I get them anywhere else and what would the specs for them be? Like one of those cryptic (for me ;¬) definitions like «512 MB PC-3200 DDR SDRAM (184 Pin)»...

Any help appreciated, thank you!

bigbone

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Sim View Post
    ir3300 machine can support up to 256MB only.
    Why you need to replace the ram?
    Hey, thanks, that's one piece of info I lacked. We didn't know (including the Canon technician who'd just been over and suggested the move) how much RAM we could upgrade the machine with.

That's what we wanted and the technician recommended: put in more RAM to get faster print-job processing, they're not actually damaged.

KenB (in the post before you) now mentions that the iR3300 can't handle a bigger amount of RAM. Now that puzzles me anew...

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
    Hey, thanks, that's one piece of info I lacked. We didn't know (including the Canon technician who'd just been over and suggested the move) how much RAM we could upgrade the machine with.

That's what we wanted and the technician recommended: put in more RAM to get faster print-job processing, they're not actually damaged.

KenB (in the post before you) now mentions that the iR3300 can't handle a bigger amount of RAM. Now that puzzles me anew...
    I have read conflicting opinions; that the machine can only support 128MB, and that it can handle 256MB - I'm not sure which one to believe.

I do know that a machine from the same time frame, the iR5000, could support 128 or 256; in fact I remember a large account (not sold locally) where we added 128 to each, so I would think that the 256 number would be right.

I really doubt that if it can support the 256MB that you would see any noticeable any speed improvement - I would think that it would only help with large jobs not crashing as often.

A small typo on my original post - the machine will only use a maximum of 6GB of HDD space, not 6MB as I first posted.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins