Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

IR-C3200 + Imagepass C-1

So, I just posted a ridiculously long story about my 3rd replacement C3200 that didn't work after moving it from the seller (functional!) to our office.

After unplugging and replugging everything, reseating memory, everything works. Ugh.

So here's a question -- I've had 2 C3200s before WITHOUT the Imagepass C-1. I'm worried about the C-1 hard drive, but it seems to be working now.

Can I yank the internal drive and ghost it on a PC so I have a backup?

Technician

Re: IR-C3200 + Imagepass C-1

One thing to add that was in my mega-post that wasn't needed: I've been watching this forum for years and all of the regulars here have been SUPER helpful, always answering questions for others that worked perfectly for me. I've maintained my C3200s for years all by myself, replacing and maintaining ITBs, changing drums before they leak (except once), and generally keeping my C3200s in great shape. The first death was a stairwell, the second one died when 24" of water drowned it. This one better last at least a year!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Canon.Tech View Post
    You can fit any 20gb 2.5" to the C1 fiery & it is very simple to re-install the firmware so it's not worth cloning/backing it up.
    True, but I'm not an actual Canon Tech (just 18 years in the print industry, although I used to be an HP tech and an Encad tech), so I don't have access to the firmware site.

The guy I bought this beast from had it under Canon service until December, and he has no idea where the CDs are -- I browsed around the Canon site to try to track it down and didn't see it there either, plus the necessary PLD downloader and all the rest.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    IR-C3200 + Imagepass C-1

you do not need the PDL downloader, the CD's contain a program that sends the C1 software to the device through a network cable. I'm sure you can find someone on here or on Ebay that will sell you the firmware you need. There are also several patches that need loaded as well after you get the firmware installed.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Technician

Good to know, charm, thanks!

So far the "problem" I had earlier with the C1 not initializing just seems to have been a glitch -- maybe moving it bumped the drive, who knows. Printer works great today, now I'm just nervous about losing it, hah.

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar

Point of information about Colorpass/Imagepass software

You can look all you want on any Canon site for system software for the colorpass and imagepass models. You will not find any, because the software is proprietary to E.F.I. They will not allow Canon to host their software. Every one of those boxes is delivered with a system software disk in the info packet for those devices. Customers normally lose track of where those disks went , unless you run into a very organized customer....
    "Once a King, always a King, but once a Knight is enough!"

Technician

I've been in the print business for far too long, and I know how easy it is to misplace CDs. Last year we purchased someone's ($30k or so) screen printing studio entirely, and of everything we received, we lost the RIP software for screen making. Took me almost 9 months to replace it (even with receipts, etc).

I'm familiar with Fiery/EFI -- as an HP DesignJet user for over a decade, I've had wonderful luck and tons of frustration with EFI/Fiery -- if anyone remembers the DesignJet CP series (aqueous, outdated) and their little Fiery outboard RIP, you know what I'm talking about. Major PITA.

Some day, eventually, we'll do enough copy work to warrant buying something new with a warranty, service plan and per-click pricing, but we're in a REALLY ghetto area and most people come in for literally ONE copy of ONE sheet of paper. 99% of that work is done pro bono so people can send out resumes and get jobs -- call it good will to the neighborhood. Hence, the 3rd used 3200.

This is VERY different from my previous two units. I can't tell if I like the Imagepass C-1 or hate it, but it's working just as fast as before, so I'm happy. First time I've ever had the A1P, trying to figure out if I have Universal Send (to email) or not, hah. I love Google, but it keeps bringing me back to CopyTechNet, haha.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    IR-C3200 + Imagepass C-1

Quote Originally Posted by dada2199 View Post
    I've been in the print business for far too long, and I know how easy it is to misplace CDs. Last year we purchased someone's ($30k or so) screen printing studio entirely, and of everything we received, we lost the RIP software for screen making. Took me almost 9 months to replace it (even with receipts, etc).

I'm familiar with Fiery/EFI -- as an HP DesignJet user for over a decade, I've had wonderful luck and tons of frustration with EFI/Fiery -- if anyone remembers the DesignJet CP series (aqueous, outdated) and their little Fiery outboard RIP, you know what I'm talking about. Major PITA.

Some day, eventually, we'll do enough copy work to warrant buying something new with a warranty, service plan and per-click pricing, but we're in a REALLY ghetto area and most people come in for literally ONE copy of ONE sheet of paper. 99% of that work is done pro bono so people can send out resumes and get jobs -- call it good will to the neighborhood. Hence, the 3rd used 3200.

This is VERY different from my previous two units. I can't tell if I like the Imagepass C-1 or hate it, but it's working just as fast as before, so I'm happy. First time I've ever had the A1P, trying to figure out if I have Universal Send (to email) or not, hah. I love Google, but it keeps bringing me back to CopyTechNet, haha.

check PM
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

Interesting -- don't have access to the Service Manual Requests forum, anyone have the N2 Finisher manual?