Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ls1more

Question iR3170 is getting a few error codes E000020-0282 and a few others

At the company im at, the iR3170 is getting a the E000020-0282 error along with E000070-0002 and now E000070-0100

i have replaced the yellow drum, however, when i did so i noticed that the magenta cartridge and yellow had "exploded" inside.

what can i do/should do to resolve these issues?

Help is much appreciated!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    iR3170 is getting a few error codes E000020-0282 and a few others

Re: iR3170 is getting a few error codes E000020-0282 and a few others

Quote Originally Posted by ls1more View Post
    At the company im at, the iR3170 is getting a the E000020-0282 error along with E000070-0002 and now E000070-0100

i have replaced the yellow drum, however, when i did so i noticed that the magenta cartridge and yellow had "exploded" inside.

what can i do/should do to resolve these issues?

Help is much appreciated!
    never saw a 0282 code on this model
    02 is magenta/why did u replace yellow ????

E020 Drum/Developer-related error
    XX=01:Y XX=02:M XX=03:C XX=04:K

02XX is Magenta ???
    Make sure that the developing ass'y is fixed with the designated stepped screw. In addition, move the
    developing ass'y with your hand to make sure that there is approximately 1.5 to 2.0mm-clearance in all directions.
    Stepped Screw: FS1-9003

are u a tech.?????? if not

You better call a Canon trained service tech/ be prepared to pay for the cleanup/advise tech to being a vacuum

e070=u probably have a mess of toner inside the Transfer Cleaning Assembly
    Last edited by teckat; 09-08-2011 at 04:03 PM.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

ls1more

Our canon tech has come by 5/7 times and has only managed to get the machine going for a few days at a time.

I am not a canon tech, however i am a tech for a pill dispensing machine in nursing homes and was able to learn the machine through reading the schematics.

I understand these are two different things, however if someone could shed some light on how to fix these issues, i am sure i could get the 3170 going again.

I am not your normal end user per say, im also now IT for the same company.

The pill dispensing machine

ls1more

Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    never saw a 0282 code on this model
    02 is magenta

E020 Drum/Developer-related error
    XX=01:Y XX=02:M XX=03:C XX=04:K

02XX is Magenta ???
    Make sure that the developing ass'y is fixed with the designated stepped screw. In addition, move the
    developing ass'y with your hand to make sure that there is approximately 1.5 to 2.0mm-clearance in all directions.
    Stepped Screw: FS1-9003

are u a tech.?????? if not

You better call a Canon trained service tech/ be prepared to pay for the cleanup/advise tech to being a vacuum

e070=u probably have a mess of toner inside the Transfer Cleaning Assembly

on the 282 error, that was my mistake, looked at the photo's i took yesterday and the error is a 292.

Going to check the assembly, Thanks!

I also replaced yellow because the readout asked for it.

0292= is a magenta issue

XX92 A computation result of patch reading in patch detection is less than 42 for Y/M/ C and less than 73 for Bk 3 times in succession.

Check for>>

damage to patch image read sensor, poor rotation of developing sleeve, poor engagement of developing
    assembly, poor stirring of toner inside developing assembly (damage to toner stirring screw or feedscrew)

Check on attachment of the developing unit, Replace the patch image reading sensor, Replace the developing unit.

the machine does not check the ATR sensor for soiling, the sensor is equipped with a shutter to prevent soiling; the shutter opens only when the ATR sensor measures the developer density on the developing cylinder and remains closed at other times.

what schematics ??
    u mean the Service Manual ??
    is your service tech Canon Trained on color ??

ls1more

Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    0292= is a magenta issue

XX92 A computation result of patch reading in patch detection is less than 42 for Y/M/ C and less than 73 for Bk 3 times in succession.

Check for>>

damage to patch image read sensor, poor rotation of developing sleeve, poor engagement of developing
    assembly, poor stirring of toner inside developing assembly (damage to toner stirring screw or feedscrew)

Check on attachment of the developing unit, Replace the patch image reading sensor, Replace the developing unit.

the machine does not check the ATR sensor for soiling, the sensor is equipped with a shutter to prevent soiling; the shutter opens only when the ATR sensor measures the developer density on the developing cylinder and remains closed at other times.

what schematics ??
    u mean the Service Manual ??
    is your service tech Canon Trained on color ??
    Ill check those, thanks!

By schematics, i received a wiring layout to all of the boards/sensors/canister clusters in the machine and was later sent an updated service manual for the pill dispensing machine.

I would assume our tech is trained on color, like i said before he has been able to get the 3170c going again for a few days, however i believe he isn't doing all of the work needed to get more service calls.

Would i be able to get the service manual if asked in the proper section of the forum? i have searched for it and have only found brochures on the unit.

ls1more

photo.JPG I think i have found my issue

Quote Originally Posted by ls1more View Post
    photo.JPG I think i have found my issue

U need to gut out the printer / remove all assembly's and clean inside/ especially the ITB

WARNING---------unplug printer/
    if using a vacuum( use a vacuum with a fine particle filter & static remove brush ) otherwise u will have another mess with toner blowing through the vac-

after that u need to find the cause

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar

Lets be realistic about this copier. It is due for replacement by a much better color machine than what you are currently running. They are old, and your tech may be doing what is needed, given what he is being asked to do. My gut feeling from seeing the mess, that while Teckat is correct about cleaning out the area, the mess is being created by developer assemblies that have been in the copier too long. Even if the majority of copies run on the copier are black and white, every time it goes thru auto-gradation, it is stirring the color developers, and if the developer mix in them is too old, they spew out the toner in a cloud that you see all over the interior.

To properly service this machine, you would likely need all new developer assemblies, as well as vacuuming out the interior. And even that is fraught with perils as Teckat mentions, as a vacuum cleaner turns into a Van de Graaff generator as it sucks up all the crud, and sensors in the copier are very sensitive to this problem and can get zapped by careless use of the vacuum. So, while you may have gleaned some knowledge here and there, my advice is to let the professionals handle this one, if you are inclined to spend money on this aging beastie...
    "Once a King, always a King, but once a Knight is enough!"