Thread: c1 + error

Technician

c1 + error

Another C1+ error - came up with ooo4-0002 during a long run of 8.5x11 bond - replaced the main heater element, fixing roller thermistor, fixing roller theral switch and ac control board - I am out of spare parts and out of ideas - machine comes on, goes through boot up and then the error message screen - with 10-11 seconds on this screen the machine powers down. If no luck tomorrow I'll call in service for monday (2 guys and a book - one to read and one to hold the screwdriver)
    thanks

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    c1 + error

Re: c1 + error

u have a SUB-HEATER ISSUE> not a Main Heater issue-
    see explanation below= your sub-code bit 1 is active
    bits are read left to right/ don't u just love this printer

E004
    is defined as an error in the protection circuit of the fixing assembly. Open circuit/poor contact of the main thermistor.

When checking voltages at J1812 on the AC Driver. This voltage should be 120 VAC.
    With the machine unplugged, and the front and bypass doors closed, check for continuity on J4002 between pins 2 and 4 on the Relay board. If there is an open between the pins >
    Plug printer back in & check if 12 VDC measures on the sub AC Driver, J1811 pin 1 and 4.
    Normally, only pin 1 should read 12VDC.
    If there is an open between pins 2 and 4 on J4002 correct the open.
    (try re-seating the J38) -Connector J38 is at the other end of J1811 connector off the sub AC Driver.

sub-codes
    0000 to 000F

There is an open circuit in heater (triac short-circuit error)
    The hardware detects the error for 200 msec continuously.
    bit 0: external heater SSR error
    bit 1: fixing sub heater SSE error
    bit 2: fixing main heater SSR error
    bit 3: inlet heater SSR error

service manual E004 lists a sub-code 0000-000F.This binary code can be used to help trouble shoot the E004 sub code.

to translate the decimal code to binary numbers
    Sub code-------Bits

0000----0-----0000
    0001----1-----0001
    0002----2-----0010
    0003----3-----0011
    0004----4-----0100
    0005----5-----0101
    0006----6-----0110
    0007----7-----0111
    0008----8-----1000
    0009----9-----1001
    000A----A----1010
    000B----B----1011
    000C----C----1100
    000D----D----1101
    000E----E----1110
    000F----F----1111

E004-0002 would refer to 0010. Bit 1 is active, Fixing Sub Heater SSR Error
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

ok-
    thanks for the education - here are the results
    1) J1812 - voltage goes to 120 @4 seconds after turning on then a relay sounds and voltage drops to @19 volts
    2) J4002 - there is continuity between pins 2/4
    3) J1811 - there is 12vdc on BOTH pins 1 and 4

Please - I don't want just answers, I have to understand the why and where I go in the documentation to see what I am checking and the resulting answers - do these results tell me to look for connector issues/a bad thermistor - a possible board - as I said months ago, I need knowledge and I need someone to sell me knowledge
    ron

c1 + error

Quote Originally Posted by cedarstreet View Post
    ok-
    thanks for the education - here are the results
    1) J1812 - voltage goes to 120 @4 seconds after turning on then a relay sounds and voltage drops to @19 volts
    2) J4002 - there is continuity between pins 2/4
    3) J1811 - there is 12vdc on BOTH pins 1 and 4

Please - I don't want just answers, I have to understand the why and where I go in the documentation to see what I am checking and the resulting answers - do these results tell me to look for connector issues/a bad thermistor - a possible board - as I said months ago, I need knowledge and I need someone to sell me knowledge
    ron
    it is difficult to provide ANSWERS when myself is not onsite/ can provide some direction
    J1811 pin4 on that Sub AC Pcb should not have a direct 12v/believe it is supplied only for all night relay

Check the sub thermistor THM2 (roller rear end; contact)
    0010=Condition that the difference of the detected temperature between the main thermistor and
    sub thermistor of the fixing roller is more than 50 deg C for 500 msec.

Check for a poor contact on the sub-heater connector J1803 Pin2 on AC Driver

H2.JPG

Technician

Ok-
    Apologies for being short - 3 days down and jobs backing up and I'm upset from my lack of complete knowledge -

as a last resort I pulled the entire fixing assembly out of my parts machine and replace the problem machine - it comes up to ready and runs - so. . . .

not the boards in the machine as they are still the same -
    not the main/sub heat element (as it was one of the things I tried to swap out)
    not the fix roll thermistor (as it was one of the things I tried to swap out)
    not the fix roll thermal switch (as it was one of the things I tried to swap out)
    not the fix roll sub thermistor(as it was one of the things I tried to swap out)

Some background -

I have had issues since November - If there is a misfeed from the bypass tray, I will get a 0000-0003/0004/0005 error - sometimes it just comes up randomly in the morning start up - while I still had regular service they replaced thermistors and finally told me "they would look into it" meanwhile I reset the error in the service mode when it came up

During April/May and June I fought with 00197-0001 error codes - Service replaced"faulty" harness, cut all wire tie in case there was a "tight wire" (I now have a rats nest of loose wires) and finally one day in June service guy neglected to put the hold down screw for the fuser in and the problem went away - almost 3 months without the error - Service responded "great glad we fixed that one -

Since November I have not been able to run 24#/28# paper it would get jammed in the exit area that flips the paper to exit face down - It finally got so bad last week where all stocks would jam even covers - I read that an "non standard size stock" would exit face up - no further jams - then with all of my searching in the fuser related area I found the gear assembly that transfers motion to the reverse exit drive was loose and the gears chewed - amazing replacing that allows for all paper to run again

Possible connection between these all?

Where would I start to trouble shoot the original fix unit to find out what was causing my recent errors

Obviously by replacing the entire fixing unit I have voided all of the counts in the service printouts - are there any actual settings or adjustments I need to do - at this point I have only run about 25 copies -

Once more thank you for talking me through this -

ron

c1 + error

1- what happens when u put the problem fix unit in parts printer ?
    2- if the problem fix unit throws the same error> u may have an pin/contact connector issue on that unit.
    3- it is almost impossible to check exact voltages on these units/ at specific times>the sequence of H1/H2 - ON/OFF TEMP VOLTAGES on power up & monitored back to the DCPCB> very difficult-

if this unit errors out in parts printer> I would trash it>

that's LIFE in the Copier repair business/
    as a Canon Senior Field/Desk Troubleshooter for 17yrs of my 23yrs in the bussiness- sometimes u just have to say , I gave it all I can> time to move on to another issue-time is money-

Senior Tech 100+ Posts khattab.al.masry's Avatar

SOURCE OF POWER SUPPLY MAY BE THE CAUSE
    so be sure to check the voltage and connections of the source of power supply to the engine.

c1 + error

Quote Originally Posted by khattab.al.masry View Post
    SOURCE OF POWER SUPPLY MAY BE THE CAUSE
    so be sure to check the voltage and connections of the source of power supply to the engine.

post from 09-11-2011

Head-Bang.JPG

Senior Tech 100+ Posts khattab.al.masry's Avatar

[QUOTE=teckat;244845]u have a SUB-HEATER ISSUE> not a Main Heater issue-

E004
    is defined as an error in the protection circuit of the fixing assembly. Open circuit/poor contact of the main thermistor.

When checking voltages at J1812 on the AC Driver. This voltage should be 120 VAC.
    With the machine unplugged, and the front and bypass doors closed.
    I face the same issue and when checking voltage at J1812 on the AC Drive with the machine unplugged from power cables the reading of voltmeter is zero.
    with the UI of machine display E004-0002.
    so may that AC Drive is defective.
    wait your help.

c1 + error

[QUOTE=khattab.al.masry;604001]
    Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    u have a SUB-HEATER ISSUE> not a Main Heater issue-

E004

With the machine unplugged, and the front and bypass doors closed.
    I face the same issue and when checking voltage at J1812 on the AC Drive with the machine unplugged from power cables the reading of voltmeter is zero.
    with the UI of machine display E004-0002.
    so may that AC Drive is defective.
    wait your help.

================================================== =

U have it all wrong-----------when printer is unplugged from wall > u get no VOLTAGE at all > this is normal

With the machine unplugged, and the front and bypass doors closed,
    check for continuity on J4002 between pins 2 and 4 on the Relay board.Continuity Test "How To"

If there is an open between the pins >
    Plug printer back in & check if 12 VDC measures on the sub AC Driver, J1811 pin 1 and 4.
    Normally, only pin 1 should read 12VDC.

If there is an open between pins 2 and 4 on J4002 correct the open.
    (try re-seating the J38) -Connector J38 is at the other end of J1811 connector off the sub AC Driver.