Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mccoyh

Scan from 4080i to a Mac

I just setup a used Canon 4080i that has ShareScan. The customer is using all Mac computers in their office. Are they able to use ShareScan? What about Universal Send?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Scan from 4080i to a Mac

Re: Scan from 4080i to a Mac

Quote Originally Posted by mccoyh View Post
    I just setup a used Canon 4080i that has ShareScan. The customer is using all Mac computers in their office. Are they able to use ShareScan? What about Universal Send?

see>>>>>>>>>-
    Attached Files Attached Files
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Sorry, Teckat, but this has nothing to do with printing.

I am assuming you have a ShareScan ScanStation, that uses a PC with a touchscreen to run it.

ShareScan scans and sends files to email, or folders that use SMB and / or FTP to connect. As long as your Macs are version 10 (OSX) you can read and share folders using SMB easily. (There are a ton of "connectors" available for ShareScan, such as Documentum, SharePoint and so on, but I doubt that you are referring to those.)

Universal Send scans and sends files to email and folders as well, but without all the added capability (and security) that ShareScan offers.

If you are referring to the desktop component, eCopy Desktop, or the newer version, eCopy Paperworks, that is a Windows only application. You don't need either to be able to use the scans; the application is used for markups, OCR, and the like.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

mccoyh

There's no touchscreen PC attached. When viewing the control panel on the 4080 there is Copy, Fax, Mailboxes, ShareScan. ShareScan comes back with an "unable to connect (some IP address)". I don't know how to change that IP address and I don't recall seeing another ethernet port on the unit. The unit is connected over their network and they are printing just fine. I just can't figure out how to get the ShareScan to actually enable and scan documents to their computer.

Scan from 4080i to a Mac

Person you bought this printer from probably had touch screen removed

Canon U.S.A. : Office Equipment : eCopy ShareScan®

see pdf>>eCopy_ShareScan_OP.pdf

There are 3 products available through eCopy for the imageRUNNER-iR copiers:
    eCopy ScanStation - The eCopy ScanStation is a dedicated personal computer, including a touch screen display, that is bundled with the appropriate hardware and software necessary to drive various imageRUNNERs for document scanning. eCopy's ScanStation is designed to drive all Canon imageRUNNER scan capable devices at optimum performance-
    eCopy ShareScan - eCopy ShareScan software is the software residing on the eCopy ScanStation that facilitates scanning from an imageRUNNER. Using ShareScan, users can scan and route documents to a number of destinations including user desktops, via e-mail, lanfax, or directly for printing. ShareScan integrates seamlessly with existing office applications leveraging the address books already in place on customer networks.

• eCopy Desktop - eCopy Desktop, formerly known as MailRoom, is a client application that can receive documents captured using ShareScan, and is capable of performing functions inclusive of document annotation (stamp, highlight, add text, etc.), OCR, and routing e-mail and fax. In addition, eCopy Desktop software also links to the most popular Document Management software for easy integration of scanned images into existing document workflow.
      NOTE: eCopy's latest version of their client application is called eCopy Paperworks
    • * Note: The ScanStation/ShareScan/Desktop Software is ONLY supported by eCopy at (603) 881-4450.

I was afraid you'd say that...

You're out of luck in this case.

The machine was set up for a different version of ShareScan, where there is a MEAP (Java) application installed on the machine, and it communicates with a ShareScan Services Manager on a PC somewhere on the network.

Without that software (and license) it's totally unusable.

If you want it, please PM me and I'll send you the uninstall procedure to get rid of it.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

mccoyh

That's kind of what I figured. What about installing a Universal Send kit? That should allow them to receive PDF scans correct?

Yes, Universal Send will most certainly allow you to scan to PDF, whether to folder or email.

Although I thought that an "i" model already had it.

Check for a "Send" button on the LCD panel. If you have fax, you will see that, but more importantly, scanning options will be there if the machine has it.

Scan from 4080i to a Mac

Quote Originally Posted by mccoyh View Post
    That's kind of what I figured. What about installing a Universal Send kit? That should allow them to receive PDF scans correct?

CP.jpg
    CP2.jpg

Copy-Press this key to access the machine's copying
    functions.
    Send-Press this key to access the machine's sending
    functions, and facsimile functions.
    Mail Box-Press this key to access the machine's mailbox
    functions.
    Print Job-Press this key to check or cancel print jobs, and
    to check or print the print job log.
    ->Press this key to gain access to hidden function keys. The function keys are displayed on two screens. You can also customize the order of the function keys in Function Display Settings in Common Settings (from the Additional Functions screen).
    System Monitor-Press this key to change, check, or cancel jobs, and to check or print the job log.
    Scan-Press this key to use the Network Scan function.
    Printer-Press this key to access the machine's printing functions.
    Web Access-Press this key to view Web pages.

On the i models (C5180i / C4580i / C4080i), the printer kit is standard=
    The 'i' models are a value package for corporate environments. Corporate environments that print from popular Microsoft Office applications and DO NOT print graphic intensive documents and DO NOT require true Adobe Postscript 3 output can benefit from purchasing the 'i' models which will offer complete functionality for the office in one package.
    The 'i' models only support the UFRII/PCL Printer Kit-N1 (which comes standard) and the optional PS Printer Kit-N1.

12/2008-*The specifications for the 'i' models have changed. The required Open Interface Board is now available for purchase, allowing the Fiery controllers to be connected to the 'i' model machines.

Available Print Controller Summary:
    Copier Models: Supported Print Controllers:
    imageRUNNER C4080i / C4580i / C5180i - UFRII/PCL Printer Kit -N1 (standard)
    - PS Printer Kit -N1 * (optional)
    - imagePASS H1 ** (optional)
    - ColorPASS GX100 ** (optional)
    imageRUNNER C4080 / C4580 / C5180 - UFRII/PCL Printer Kit -N1 (optional)
    - PS Printer Kit -N1 * (optional)
    - imagePASS H1 (optional)
    - ColorPASS GX100 (optional)

* PS Printer Kit-N1 requires that UFRII/PCL Printer Kit-N1 and iR 512MB Expansion RAM-C1 be previously installed.
    ** Requires the optional Open Interface Board on the 'i' models.

Standard on “i” models
    - The Universal Send PDF Advanced Feature Set-A1 includes Searchable PDF mode, Trace & Smooth PDF functionality, and PDF High Compression Mode.
    Standard on “i” models
    - The Universal Send PDF Security Feature Set-A1 includes Encrypted PDF mode and Digital Device Signature mode.
    5180.jpg

**Procedure for changing the default setting for Universal Send to PDF only
    -Additional Functions / Communication Settings / TX Settings / Edit Standard Send Settings / File Format, and choose PDF.
    Then reboot the machine.
    Last edited by teckat; 10-21-2011 at 04:55 AM.

mccoyh

I guess this machine wasn't equipped with the ImagePass feature for scanning. It has the PostScript package, fax, and RAM expansion installed, but no other Send feature. I reckon they will need to purchase a Universal Send kit if/when they are ready to do so.