Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    mlambrecht

SMB scanning stops working. Comes back after machine reboot.

I have a Canon ImageRuner Advance 6065 that has been scanning via SMB and email since it was installed about 9 months ago. For the past month the SMB scanning will randomly stop working. With a reboot of the machine it will work again. This happens every day. While the SMB is down you can still scan to email and print just fine. When its working I can browse out and find network folders, when its down it can't find anything. Also, when its down, from the machine I can successfully ping the server that we are scanning to, all DNS servers, Gateway. The SMTP server is using a name for the exchange server so I know DNS is working. All of their SMB scanning is directed at one server so i set up another scan folder on a workstation. When it stops working you cannot scan to the server or workstation. I couldn't even scan to directly to my laptop when it was in a down state. I have tried putting a basic 5-port switch between the wall and copier as well as changing patch cables. I have cleared MMI and main controller. Reloaded all firmware. I have an appointment with their IT next week to try setting up their server so we can try scanning via FTP. The SMB functionality is controlled on main controller 2 but must go through main controller 1 where the NIC is located. Canon tech support wants me to try replacing these controllers, so that is what I'll be trying today since I can't do anything until next week. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts as I am slowly running out of ideas.

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts
    SMB scanning stops working.  Comes back after machine reboot.

Re: SMB scanning stops working. Comes back after machine reboot.

Do you have any SMB Transmission errors ??
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

there answer was to replace both controllers

typical Canon Phone support generic help-

how old is this printer ???
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

_ 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mlambrecht View Post
    I have a Canon ImageRuner Advance 6065 that has been scanning via SMB and email since it was installed about 9 months ago. For the past month the SMB scanning will randomly stop working. With a reboot of the machine it will work again. This happens every day. While the SMB is down you can still scan to email and print just fine. When its working I can browse out and find network folders, when its down it can't find anything. Also, when its down, from the machine I can successfully ping the server that we are scanning to, all DNS servers, Gateway. The SMTP server is using a name for the exchange server so I know DNS is working. All of their SMB scanning is directed at one server so i set up another scan folder on a workstation. When it stops working you cannot scan to the server or workstation. I couldn't even scan to directly to my laptop when it was in a down state. I have tried putting a basic 5-port switch between the wall and copier as well as changing patch cables. I have cleared MMI and main controller. Reloaded all firmware. I have an appointment with their IT next week to try setting up their server so we can try scanning via FTP. The SMB functionality is controlled on main controller 2 but must go through main controller 1 where the NIC is located. Canon tech support wants me to try replacing these controllers, so that is what I'll be trying today since I can't do anything until next week. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts as I am slowly running out of ideas.
    Hi, mlambrecht

Your issue is almost similar to an issue that happens to iRC3200 / iRC3220, which it NIC had went into "sleep" AND customer's are using intelligent switches that will turn off that port.

Maybe you might want to go thru Service mode / User settings to lengthen machine sleep mode. Else you could work with their IT to check that switch's port of the machine can be maninuplate.

TechCan

I had a problem with HP managed switches where the Canon copier would print etc. but not send. This happened every morning. While the copier was in this state, using my laptop and a crossover cable with the copier also failed. Rebooting the copier always bought it back to life. Checking HP's web site showed lots of patches for their switches and I had the IT person upgrade the switches. It fixed the problem.

HBennett

Quote Originally Posted by TechCan View Post
    I had a problem with HP managed switches where the Canon copier would print etc. but not send. This happened every morning. While the copier was in this state, using my laptop and a crossover cable with the copier also failed. Rebooting the copier always bought it back to life. Checking HP's web site showed lots of patches for their switches and I had the IT person upgrade the switches. It fixed the problem.

We are having similar issues with the Canon IR3245 - slight difference - we can scan any time during the day, the scan will go into queue and stay there until we restart the Canon copier\scanner. Once it has been restarted, it will drop the pdf into the folder on the shared location on the server. The copy tech has replaced the controller board and was able to successfully scan to a folder on his laptop - I am assuming with a crossover cable or switch (not the normal network switch).
    Do you know of if the IT did a specific step - other than patches - that fixed the issue?

_ 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HBennett View Post
    We are having similar issues with the Canon IR3245 - slight difference - we can scan any time during the day, the scan will go into queue and stay there until we restart the Canon copier\scanner. Once it has been restarted, it will drop the pdf into the folder on the shared location on the server. The copy tech has replaced the controller board and was able to successfully scan to a folder on his laptop - I am assuming with a crossover cable or switch (not the normal network switch).
    Do you know of if the IT did a specific step - other than patches - that fixed the issue?
    Hi, HBennett

During the period BEFORE the reboot of the "hanged" scan jobs, can the copier still able to accept print jobs and web-accessible vai RUI? If it still able to accept print jobs (incoming traffic) but not scan jobs (outgoing traffic), then you might have a network issue.

The other thing that you could try is to fix network speed of iR3245 from "AUTO" to 100 full duplex and reboot it.

mlambrecht

The solution was to replace both controllers.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mlambrecht View Post
    The solution was to replace both controllers.
    who paid for that ? Canon
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts vigour's Avatar

Recently had a 6055 that would drop off the network, and reconnect after a reboot.
    This seemed to start after a refurb main controller 1 was installed for blank screen.
    I haven't heard from them since replacing the main controller 1 again,