Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 100+ Posts

IP address keeps changing on C1 w/Fiery ti server

OK another fun issue I have now that we just lived with is how to keep the C1 IP static.
    Every time we seem to have to power down we have to start and get them to link

Heres the setup

XP pro on imac to Hub connected to 3 canon printers C1 is one of them in the printer room
    Hub is connected to router for the rest of the site.

We really dont need to have anything else in the printer room

The iMac
    the Hub and the printers all in the same room

The C1 has a T1 server on it

I would like to just have all 3 run off the iMac one at a time
    to keep it simple

What is happening is that we lose the ip addy on the c1 all the time and have to reboot everything

I would like to just have them stay the same with the Firey in the iMac in that room only

Any files we need to transfer could be thumb drive to keep it simple

not very good at IP stuff

just want to be able to turn off the printers and iMac when not in use
    and turn them on with out all the problems we have in the floating ip address

P

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: IP address keeps changing on C1 w/Fiery ti server

Try this--
    in service mode_________
    Additional Functions> System Settings> Network Settings> Ethernet Driver Settings> Auto Detect> Set to "OFF". Reboot the copier

also check for a duplicate IP address on the network.

IP address conflict countermeasure

One strategy that you can try in order to prove or disprove the possibility of an IP address conflict, being the source of your network printing issues is to perform the following.

At the print server issue the following command string at the command prompt

arp -s <IP address of the printer device> <MAC address of the printer device>

example:

arp -s 192.168.1.60 00-00-85-42-9a-2c

If the customer is printing directly to the printer from a workstation and not using a print server then perform the arp –s command string at the individual workstation or workstations that are printing directly to the Canon device.

This arp -s command string will configure the computer to communicate only with the device that is associated with that exact IP address and matching MAC address. The computer will now ignore any other device on the network that might have the same IP address as the printer.

If you perform an arp -a command you should now notice that the IP address and the physical address are now static

Performing this arp -s command string is only a temporary work around in order to further identify if the printing issues might be related to possible duplicate IP address or IP conflicts on the network.

Please noteThe arp -s command string will be undone if the computer is restarted, you will need to retype the apr -s command string in order to re-instate that function. If the computer is a workstation then we would suggest that you create a batch file with this arp -s command string and place the batch file in the windows start up folder.

**Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Testing for an IP Address Conflict for Duplicate IP Address

This article provides step-by-step instructions with screen shots on how to properly test for a possible duplicate IP address or IP address conflicts on a network. Two methods are discussed:

Method 1 - Ping the Device, Unplug the Device, and Ping the Device Again (DO NOT USE):

This method is the most popular way of testing for a duplicate IP address on a network. Unfortunately, this is not the best way to test for an IP address conflict, as it can lead to INCORRECT conclusions. It is highly recommended that you use Method 2 instead. Step 1: Type the command ping <ip address of the device> .

You then get a response from what you think is the device that you are testing.

Step 2: You then go to the printer (or device) and disconnect the Ethernet cable from that printer (or device)
    Step 3: Type the command ping <ip address of the device> .

You then ping the device again and this time you get no response from the ping.

So, now you believe that you don't have any duplicate IP address or IP conflicts on your network and you believe that the IP address that you just pinged is the one going to the device that you are testing.
    THIS CONCLUSION MAY NOT BE CORRECT:
    All that you just proved or tested is that the network card in the device that you pinged is working and responds to a ping request. You have not necessarily tested for duplicate IP address or IP conflicts on the network.
    Method 2 - Using the ARP Table (USE THIS METHOD):
    The PROPER METHOD of testing for a duplicate IP address or IP address conflicts is to perform the following:
    Step 1: Type the command ping <ip address of the device> .

You then get a response from what you believe is the device that you are testing.

Step 2: Type the command arp -a .

A list of the IP address to MAC address mappings (the ARP table of the PC) will display.

Step 3: Write down the MAC address that responded to the ping command of that IP address.
    Step 4: Remove or disconnect the network cable that is connecting the printer (or device) to the network.
    Step 5: Type the command arp -d <ip address of the device> .

This will remove the IP address to MAC address mapping that you just pinged from the computer's ARP table. If you don't perform this important step, the computer will no longer look for the IP address that you are pinging. It will now only look for the reply from the MAC address of the IP address that was last associated with that IP address.

Step 6: Type the command ping <ip address of the device> . Did any device respond to this ping?

Please keep in mind that if there is another device on the network that is using the same IP address, it will take a while for that device to regain control or begin to responding to the ping command. It is suggested that you wait at least 10 to 15 minutes. Also keep in mind that if this problem is not happening several times on a regular daily basis, it will be more difficult to find.

In this example after performing the above steps and waiting a few minutes, we were able to identify that some other device did begin to respond to the ping command that we were troubleshooting. Being that the original device is still disconnected from the network as per step 4, nothing should ever respond to the ping command for the IP address of the original device.

Step 7: Look at the MAC address (Physical Address) that now responded to the ping command (if any), while the original device was disconnected, via the arp -a command. If the MAC address is different from the original MAC address you wrote down in step 3, then there is a different device using the same IP address (a duplicate IP address).

Write down the MAC address (Physical Address) that corresponds with the IP address (Internet Address) that responded to the ping command when the original device was still disconnected from the network. This will be your only proof that some other device is configured with the same IP address that was assigned to the original device.

By looking at the first six (6) characters of the MAC address, you can now identify who the other device's manufacturer is. You can then begin to look around the office with the customer's network administrator for the device using the duplicate IP address. For more information on looking up a manufacturer via a MAC address, see
    Related Article 57938. For a list of manufacturers and their corresponding MAC addresses, see the attached file MAC_Address_List.pdf.

In our example, we are now able to identify that the first six (6) digits of the MAC address that is now responding to the ping command are 00-0b-cd. According to the attached file MAC_Address_List.pdf, this is a Compaq device of some kind, not a Canon device. After searching the customer location, it was determined that a Compaq Desktop PC was using the same IP address as the Canon device.

Thanks TEC!
    Will Do

But that screen just keeps me guessing on how it could get so out of "calibration" with the LCD
    Then when left on for a while it works just fine.
    Only thing I can think of is the Lith Batt B/U mounted on the main board is too low to keep that calibrated???

when the power gets completely shut off

dont know that for sure but I don not know whats held in the eprom/ram that would be just that.
    calling canon is a joke for this type of problem.
    its always their solution to PAY $$$$ and just change out every thing at your expense rather than do a real trouble shoot.
    Thats why I like this place,

I will post that

P

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

If you can't print, the IP issue would most likely be with the T1 RIP, not the C1. It's the T1 that your computers "talk to". The network cable between the two is a crossover cable with statically assigned addresses which you can't change. (The T1's address going to the C1 is completely locked, and the C1's address gets set when you set the "interface settings" to tell it that there is an external RIP attached.)

Your T1 may have a bad BIOS battery.

If I'm not mistaken the IP info resides there, not on the HDD. As long it stays powered on, life is good. Once power is lost, the IP info goes with it.

As a test, make sure the clock on the T1 is right, print a config page, shut down the T1, unplug the power for the T1 for at least a few minutes, (don't just turn it off - some circuits stay live), plug it back in, and then print another config page. If the clock changes, the battery is kaput.

The T1s are old enough now that I would think the BIOS batteries are really getting tired.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Crap,
    I should have thought of that.

Better that that why not if I remember right that Bios Batt is a 3v just like any other Bios Batt on a PC.

the T1 is just a crap PC anyway and that Batt very well can be bad

Great Idea

Now I am the Dumb shit.........completely forgot about that
    I am sure that TEC though I already cked that.

Good Grief wouldn't that be a kick in the ass if that was the problem.

P

Quote Originally Posted by Penvy View Post
    Crap,
    I should have thought of that.

Better that that why not if I remember right that Bios Batt is a 3v just like any other Bios Batt on a PC.

the T1 is just a crap PC anyway and that Batt very well can be bad

Great Idea

Now I am the Dumb shit.........completely forgot about that
    I am sure that TEC though I already cked that.

Good Grief wouldn't that be a kick in the ass if that was the problem.

P

what ver is T1 ??

There was an important patch for TI v1.1

1-V9XFT
    Due to the variance of the chip on the T1 motherboard, the memory information cannot be controlled when
    the system is rebooted. As a result, C0 (or C1) error occurs and EFI controller operations are disabled.
    This issue has been fixed.
    Affected Model: v1.11

DHCP= OFF ??
    Last edited by teckat; 12-10-2011 at 06:34 AM.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

If you haven't already you should make some changes in your router. Each router is a little bit different but generally speaking...

1. open up IE or firefox.
    2. type the ip address of your router. most likely 192.168.1.1 if you never changed it.
    3. in one of the menu options, you'll have to look you can change settings to reserve ip ranges. For instance; you can tell the router to only auto assign ip address from 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.140. Notice it's the last number that changes. This means any pc, printer, wireless device if a wireless router won't be assigned an ip with the last three digits outside of 101-140.
    4. This leaves ip addresses 192.168.1.141 to 192.168.1.XXX (whatever the limit is) free for static assignment.
    5. Devices that you never want to conflict, like a printer can now have DHCP turned off and you can manually assign an IP address for each machine knowing they'll never conflict.

As far as I know that's the best and easiest way for a home or small business to do it.

_ 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    If you haven't already you should make some changes in your router. Each router is a little bit different but generally speaking...

1. open up IE or firefox.
    2. type the ip address of your router. most likely 192.168.1.1 if you never changed it.
    3. in one of the menu options, you'll have to look you can change settings to reserve ip ranges. For instance; you can tell the router to only auto assign ip address from 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.140. Notice it's the last number that changes. This means any pc, printer, wireless device if a wireless router won't be assigned an ip with the last three digits outside of 101-140.
    4. This leaves ip addresses 192.168.1.141 to 192.168.1.XXX (whatever the limit is) free for static assignment.
    5. Devices that you never want to conflict, like a printer can now have DHCP turned off and you can manually assign an IP address for each machine knowing they'll never conflict.

As far as I know that's the best and easiest way for a home or small business to do it.
    Kingpd and teckat have provide 2 solution for 2 issues you facing.

As the Ti was not patch, it will have a auto reboot issue which will give it a new IP after it "logon" to router everytime.

Kingpd's solution will give T1 a fixed IP that the router will not assign out to any devices. Do get that patch as suggested by Teckat as too many uncontrolled reboot of T1, will corrupt the system OS within it HDD.

Its a T1 v.1.1

How can I get that patch?

What is the easy way to install this patch?
    I have the SS1 service or is it simpler I hope

Any time I deal with Canon its a Big deal but this response has been really great guys.

rare would I get a straight answer from canon.

P