Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canon iR-ADV C5051 - Could not get device information - Windows 2008 R2

Trying to move an iR-C5051 from being installed on each workstation to a Windows 2008 R2 server. I set up a couple instances of the printer using the UFRII XPS Printer Driver v1.10 as well as the Generic PCL6 driver. Both the x86 and x64 drivers are installed.

With the generic PCL6 driver I set up a shared printer for black and white printing and one for color. The B&W I store the pin\code and it prints fine. I make the color prompt for a code, put in the code and it prints fine. I can connect to the shared printer from a workstation....but as soon as I try to print I get "Could not get device information."

With the UFR driver I can not do much at all. I add the printer, go to the properties, device and try to pull the device information and it says "Could not get device information."

I thought I needed the DIAS, but I can't find it and it may be too old. Anyone have a suggestion on where I can go from here?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Canon iR-ADV C5051 - Could not get device information - Windows 2008 R2

are you installing from a CD or from a downloaded .exe file? The DIAS is bundled on the CD and can be installed with or without a printer, but this alone would not cause you to get the error you see when trying to print. This is more for acquiring the machine accessories when getting the device status in the print driver.

I would check your drivers and your share permissions to make sure that they are set correctly.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

I am doing this from 2 different drivers files on Canon's site. Both yield different results. The CD we have is very old and does not work with Windows 2008 R2. The device will print from the server, but it will not print from a workstation using the 2008 R2 server as a print server.

Shares and permissions are correct. The issue appears to be some extra software needed from Canon in order to poll the device information.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

This is caused by the Firewall on the 2008 server.

The following ports must be opened on the firewall for the workstations to be able to get device status through the server.

Port numbers:
    47545 TCP/UDP
    41380 TCP
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Firewall is off system wide. I believe I need the Canon Driver Information Assist Service.

agentopusa

Post Re: Canon iR-ADV C5051 - Could not get device information - Windows 2008 R2

Just download a driver on Canon website in UK with the latest version of UFR II x86 or x64. Unzipped it try to locate the folder misc the Canon DIAS installer is there. Im wondering where device did you set the device status? Workstation or on the server? Don't use the UFR II driver with xps try to use the UFR II only with the latest version. I think this is going to be fine for now.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

DIAS - (Canon Driver Information Assist Service) -
    DIAS is a new version of driver VDC (Canon NetSpot Suite Service) that is specialized in the retrieval of information from the devices. DIAS is supported with the PCL5e/5c v6.20, PCL6 v4.20, PS3 v2.20, and Fax v3.20 drivers (these versions or higher).

* See compatibility chart.

DIAS can eliminate problems raised by sharing the VDC service with other applications (i.e. the version of the VDC installed by the drivers won't be overwritten by an utility installing the VDC).
    DIAS is comprised of:
    1. Built-in DIAS (DIAS DLL) - is a part of the driver module and is installed with the driver. Allows an auto run of the device information retrieval process during a driver installation initiated using the Add Printers/Installer feature (pre-config). This feature saves the user the need to manually get configuration information from the device in order to use the installed options.
    2. DIAS Service- is to be installed on a Print Server only. The Print Server requires this service so that the clients can retrieve device information from a shared printer on that server. DIAS Service is installed via the driver installer.
    With DIAS, the following types of information can be retrieved:

• Available options (to be set in the printer's properties).
    • Authenticity of a user account for job accounting (to be retrieved for each job accounting-enabled print job).

New DIAS features/capabilities:

• Installer will automatically perform a device information retrieval (Pre-Config/ Get Device Status) operation before completion of the installation process.
    • No need to install the DIASsetup.exe unless a shared printer is used. Unlike VDC, DIASsetup.exe is to be installed on a Print Server only.
    • DIAS can co-exist with printers that are still using VDC.

Get Device Status or Job Accounting Features through a Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows 2003 or 2008 Server
    Make sure the Canon NetSpot Suite Service (VDC) or the Driver Information Assist Service (DIAS) is installed and functioning on the server. The service you will use depends on the version of the driver you have installed.
    Check the Services Applet on the server to make sure the service is started and set to automatic (make sure you reboot after installation - this is required for the service to run properly). Verify that the server can successfully use the Get Device Status and Job Accounting features from the driver. If the server cannot use these features successfully, then check the following:

• Make sure the printer port you are utilizing is an Standard TCP/IP printing port or an UNIX LPR port. TCP/IP is required for the Canon NetSpot Suite Service/Driver Information Assist Service to communicate with the imageRUNNER. The Canon NetSpot Suite Service or Driver Information Assist Service will not work utilizing Windows Printing (SMB).
    • Make sure you are using the latest version of the Canon NetSpot Suite Service or Driver Information Assist Service (both are located in the latest Canon PCL5e or PCL6 Printer Driver Setup program) and the latest print driver version.
    • If the features still fail, try uninstalling the print drivers and NetSpot Suite Service/DIAS using the Uninstall program that comes with the Setup program, and then start the entire installation process over again using the Setup program.

Note: When installing the NetSpot Suite Service or Driver Information Assist Service, be sure to turn off any actively scanning anti-virus software that may be running on the server. This may interfere with the installation.
    Once the server itself can use the Get Device Status and Job Accounting features successfully, we are now ready to focus on the clients. The print driver on the server is being shared out and various Windows clients are connecting to the share and pulling down the print driver. If the client cannot use the Get Device Status and Job Accounting features successfully through the server, then check the following:

1. Check the length of the printer's share name on the server. The printer's share name cannot exceed 12 characters in length. This exceeds the length of the share name field used in the communication. If the share name is longer than 12 characters, then shorten the share name to 12 characters or fewer.
    2. Try logging onto the client with an administrative account that has full rights granted on the server. Try using the Get Device Status and Job Accounting features again. If they work successfully, then the previous user may have not had sufficient rights to the share on the server.
    3. Verify that the clients are using the same version driver as the server. If the client is using a different driver version, manually delete the driver files from the client and then pull the correct driver down from the server.

Note: The NetSpot Suite Service\Driver Information Assist Service only needs to be installed on the server. It does not need to be installed on each of the individual clients.
    * If the server is also running NetSpot Console and/or NetSpot Device Installer, it may be necessary to uninstall NetSpot Console and NetSpot Device Installer, uninstall the print drivers and VDC/DIAS service using the Cleanup option of the Uninstaller program , reboot, and reload the drivers and VDC/DIAS service.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

_ 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mvalpreda View Post
    Trying to move an iR-C5051 from being installed on each workstation to a Windows 2008 R2 server. I set up a couple instances of the printer using the UFRII XPS Printer Driver v1.10 as well as the Generic PCL6 driver. Both the x86 and x64 drivers are installed. With the generic PCL6 driver I set up a shared printer for black and white printing and one for color. The B&W I store the pin\code and it prints fine. I make the color prompt for a code, put in the code and it prints fine. I can connect to the shared printer from a workstation....but as soon as I try to print I get "Could not get device information."With the UFR driver I can not do much at all. I add the printer, go to the properties, device and try to pull the device information and it says "Could not get device information."I thought I needed the DIAS, but I can't find it and it may be too old. Anyone have a suggestion on where I can go from here?
    Hi, Agomvalpreda

Since you mentioned installed both the x86 and x64 drivers, would assume that the server is x64.

Download the x64 driver file that has larger file size indicated, once unzipped it will have extra few folders. Look for 1 named as "misc", inside will have DIAS.exe. Run to install it for your x64 server. Check under Serivces.msc console of x64 server to verify what Teckat had said. On Clients' PC, the printer driver will reflect the version of DIAS when click on the "About" button .

Hope this helps out your problem.
    Last edited by KL568; 12-21-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: typo error

agentopusa

My mistake i mean the printer driver not the DIAS.You need to install the x86 in the server if your client workstation is an 32-bit OS. If the client is already an x64 no need for the x86 installation. Hope it helps you a lot! Just email me if you have other concern on the network using canon MFD.
    Last edited by agentopusa; 12-31-2011 at 04:46 AM.

Thanks teckat, that was the solution I needed !!

With good background information, too.