Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

2880i- General Questions

My 2880i with 115,000 came in and the unit seems to be generally in good order, except it was used in a dirty place and/or stored in dirty warehouse. I've got a few novice questions about the device that I'll be posting here, for those of you who have the patience:

• How do I lock the casters on the Cassette Feeding Unit-Y3?! I see no caster wheel lock...
    • The machine has a light, methodical clicking noise somewhere near the upper rear of the unit when it is warming up. Should the clicking be there?
    • The UFR II Driver doesn't seem to be able to see the device even though I can open a web browser session to the IP. I have the firewall disabled to. Can I just use a generic Standard TCP/IP port with Custom settings for RAW/9100?
    • Is there a way to have the device handle two fax lines? (It has one Super fax board)
    • Do the Canon OEM toners have expiration dates? (All the ebay sellers have said they don't see a date on the box)
    • Any specific maintenance I should start with considering the machine has 115k and was probably used in a dirty environment judging by the exterior and the Dust-proofing filter?
    • Is there a cheap place to buy the cassette size labels?
    • The plastic sheet under the DADF has some sort of adhesive/ink/unknown on it. Can I use heavier duty cleaners? Is the part # 8684A001AB or is that for the entire platen cover?

Thanks.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    2880i-  General Questions

Re: 2880i- General Questions

Quote Originally Posted by cswake View Post
    My 2880i with 115,000 came in and the unit seems to be generally in good order, except it was used in a dirty place and/or stored in dirty warehouse. I've got a few novice questions about the device that I'll be posting here, for those of you who have the patience:

• How do I lock the casters on the Cassette Feeding Unit-Y3?! I see no caster wheel lock...
    • The machine has a light, methodical clicking noise somewhere near the upper rear of the unit when it is warming up. Should the clicking be there?
    • The UFR II Driver doesn't seem to be able to see the device even though I can open a web browser session to the IP. I have the firewall disabled to. Can I just use a generic Standard TCP/IP port with Custom settings for RAW/9100?
    • Is there a way to have the device handle two fax lines? (It has one Super fax board)
    • Do the Canon OEM toners have expiration dates? (All the ebay sellers have said they don't see a date on the box)
    • Any specific maintenance I should start with considering the machine has 115k and was probably used in a dirty environment judging by the exterior and the Dust-proofing filter?
    • The plastic sheet under the DADF has some sort of adhesive/ink/unknown on it. Can I use heavier duty cleaners? Is the part # 8684A001AB or is that for the entire platen cover?

Thanks.

The “i”model, designed for general office environments,
    is pre-configured with features that provide out-of-the-box business productivity; the “Base”model is highly configurable and offers a choice of options to best fit your office needs.
    Each model includes Canon’s UFR II (Ultra Fast Rendering) print controller standard.

The 'i' models are a value package for corporate environments. Corporate environments that print from popular Microsoft Office applications and DO NOT print graphic intensive documents and DO NOT require true Adobe Postscript 3 output can benefit from purchasing the 'i' models which will offer complete functionality for the office in one package.
    The 'i' models only support the PCL Printer Kit-Q1 (which comes standard) and the optional PS Printer Kit-Q1.
    The optional imagePASS J1 IS NOT available on the 'i' models. see below> update
    UPDATED CURRENT SPECIFICATION: The specifications for the 'i' models have changed.
    The required Open Interface Board is now available for purchase, allowing the Fiery controllers to be connected to the 'i' model machines.

Are u a trained tech on this product ????

if not-I would not attempt to remove assemblies noted below> call to have a trained tech look at condition of printer

1- there are no locks/ may only have some screw down legs (if not missing) with flat bottom/I never use them >because some techs over tighten it> and if u don't have pliers to loosen & need to move printer> u damage wheels & feeding unit

2-Remove and re-seat the Drum Drive Assembly and the ITB Assembly should fixe the clicking noise.

3-For the Color imageRUNNER C3380i/C2880i, the machine is equipped with the PCL Printer function as standard/
    Color PS Printer Kit
    The Color PS Printer Kit supports PostScript 3 emulation printing solutions.
    To use the features of the Color PS Printer Kit, it must be activated by registering a license key, after the memory of the machine has been expanded to 1,536 MB.
    Look here for proper drivers-
    if you have a Fiery (imagePASS) connected Canon site has those drivers also

[/U]]Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : Color imageRUNNER C3380i

4-Super G3 Multi-Line Fax Board
    Installing the Super G3 Multi-Line Fax Board enables you to use two lines to send and receive fax documents that have been created in applications directly from your PC via a network.
    The optional Super G3 FAX Board and Super G3 Multi-Line Fax Board cannot be installed at the same time.

5-OEM toners usually have a Lot #code on box to identify manuf.date > used when Canon has a recall or issue with Lot#'s

6- Remove all assembly's/ clean interior/ clean and inspect paper feed unit/ clean optics/Clean the Dust Proof Glass/

7-make your own

8- FL2-0947-000 \ PANEL, COPY-BOARD replace it
    Last edited by teckat; 01-20-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Victor285's Avatar

Smile Re: 2880i- General Questions

Thanks.
    In summary, Teckat did great job answering all of your many questions. Only thing to add would be concerning IP connectivity. Yes, you can use generic Standard TCP/IP port to print Raw 9100 with UFRII Driver

Also, you can clean off the adhesive on plastic sheet under DADF with some "Goof Off" sprayed on clean lint-free cloth.

I would heartily agree with Teckat to call a tech to remove/repair any assemblies he mentioned.

Technician

Thanks for the responses. I am not a trained tech, but do have the service manual and patience. An additional question:

• There is a clicking noise when the contact image sensor (CIS) slides between the copyboard glass and the copyboard glass for the ADF. It sounds as if the sensor is making light contact with something firm when it is sliding between the two areas. I'm assuming that should not be the case, can you guys give any recommendations as to the cause?
    Last edited by cswake; 01-25-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    2880i-  General Questions

Thanks for the responses. I am not a trained tech, but do have the service manual and patience. An additional question:
    • There is a clicking clicking noise when the contact image sensor (CIS) slides between the copyboard glass and the copyboard glass for the ADF. It sounds as if the sensor is making light contact with something firm when it is sliding between the two areas. I'm assuming that should not be the case, can you guys give any recommendations as to the cause?
    remove copy glass and inspect //// could be Chattering from motors-- DADF-L1 Motors M1 and M2 DF.JPG also>>> to note if needed------------------------------ For the imageRUNNER to have the Feeder read European size documents as well as Domestic sizes In>Service Mode Level "1" , Copier / Option / Body / Model-SZ set to "3". Turn machine off and back on again to lock in the setting.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

Those are the motors for the Automatic Document Feeder? The sound is emanating from underneath the copyboard glass, somewhere here when the CIS slides back into its default position:

cis_sound.jpg

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Victor285's Avatar

Wink Re: 2880i- General Questions

Those are the motors for the Automatic Document Feeder? The sound is emanating from underneath the copyboard glass, somewhere here when the CIS slides back into its default position:

cis_sound.jpg
    You are the eyes to the solution. Have you removed the Copyboard Glass & Adf reading Glass? Look first, is the CIS mounted evenly on the rails? Gently pull the drive belt to the right thereby moving the CIS to the right. Is there anything impeding the CIS from moving smoothly along the rail? i.e..Could be dirt on the rails, or maybe Ribbon cable getting caught along rail under CIS, etc/ HP Sensor dislodged? Is there anything the the CIS could be riding up on??