Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Canon scan to email

Can anyone help out a new guy to the copier tech biz?

I'm having trouble setting up Canon (IR-2220i, IR-3300, ect) for scan to email where SMTP authentication is used.

What I've learned so far is that this is only an issue if the email server is hosted externally or if email is hosted internally and one wants to send emails externally. Is this correct?

I've also been told a work around for this is to disable POP and set up an email account in the POP settings. This hasn't worked for me but I might be missing something... Has anyone else tried this and worked???

Everyone wants scan to email. Any other ideas???

Technician
    When SMTP authentication is used, all the IR i series infact(IR 2200i, IR 3300i, IR 2220i, IR 3320i, etc, ) will not be able to scan to e-mail as the mail server will only allow mail with authentication to be send . The work around is to install a mail server on a PC to relay the mail (if it is possible for you to install that in customer location). You can try using postcast smtp mail server(PostCast Server - Free SMTP Server) but the pc you install the mail server on need to be able to access the internet.

If mail server(SMTP) is external (if all setting like DNS, Gateway, Domain and email address is set correctly) there will be no issue send e-mail to external and internal e-mail. As for internal mail server(SMTP) you would also be able to send e-mail to both internal and external e-mail unless the mail server have policy to block external e-mail.( If this happen you need to ask the mail server administrator to configure the mail server to allow the IR to relay mail.)

POP Setting is only for IR to recieve I-Fax.

Talking THANK YOU!!!

That is an excelent solution! Thank you, it works great and best of all -free!

Technician
    your are welcome

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Machine email adress

Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    When SMTP authentication is used, all the IR i series infact(IR 2200i, IR 3300i, IR 2220i, IR 3320i, etc, ) will not be able to scan to e-mail as the mail server will only allow mail with authentication to be send . The work around is to install a mail server on a PC to relay the mail (if it is possible for you to install that in customer location). You can try using postcast smtp mail server(PostCast Server - Free SMTP Server) but the pc you install the mail server on need to be able to access the internet.

If mail server(SMTP) is external (if all setting like DNS, Gateway, Domain and email address is set correctly) there will be no issue send e-mail to external and internal e-mail. As for internal mail server(SMTP) you would also be able to send e-mail to both internal and external e-mail unless the mail server have policy to block external e-mail.( If this happen you need to ask the mail server administrator to configure the mail server to allow the IR to relay mail.)

Dear christan ,
    For email adress, should we creat a new address for machine?
    Thank you.Hope to hear from you

Technician
    Hi Peter,

It is not necessary to create a e-mail address for the copier.
    You can use a dummy e-mail, but I prefer to use a valid e-mail address in case of reverse DNS in some mail server. You may used any valid e-mail or you may also create a e-mail address for the copier.

Chris

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Hi Peter,

It is not necessary to create a e-mail address for the copier.
    You can use a dummy e-mail, but I prefer to use a valid e-mail address in case of reverse DNS in some mail server. You may used any valid e-mail or you may also create a e-mail address for the copier.

Chris
    Dear Christan,
    Thank you very much.

Service Manager 250+ Posts

special email address could be good

Using a special email address just for scanning could be useful so that you can easily set up filters to put that mail in a special folder in outlook or whatever mail client you use

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bnmand View Post
    Using a special email address just for scanning could be useful so that you can easily set up filters to put that mail in a special folder in outlook or whatever mail client you use
    Dear bnmand,
    Thanks for your reply.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Dear christan,
    I already install the PostCast Server.I can send the document from ir machine thru to postcast server,but when i press start button,the statu show"find object" and than "Idle"......Under the setting for postcast server What should i need to do?Thanks in advance.