Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Canon IR 5000 Corona Wire

Man this is frustrating string corona wire.....any tricks or better yet anyone make pre-strung wire....that would save me time. Spending way to long stringing these babies.....thanks, Kurt

Senior Tech 100+ Posts kwazimoto's Avatar
    the best thing to do is find out what way it works best for you and practice... I make a loop with spring hook the loop goes on the plastic end (Plastic stud)and strech out wire and using a retractable spring hook with the spring on it wrap it 5 times at the length brake off extra wire ..you will want to wrap about 5 time before you brake it off then turn it the opposite way to remove the twist on the wire after you brake it off attach it to the hook side .. if that makes sense hope that helps

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

He's right, it's all practice. Last Christmas party our service manager had a corona wire stringing contest. After he saw me do it in 90 seconds cancelled the contest.

After 10 years of stringing (6) corona wires into each Canon 4-5 times a day, its second nature.

My trick is, I made a tool to push the wire down under screw and washer. It's a 21cm length of 2mm steel wire (coat hanger-of course) with a 3mm 'J' bend at the bottom. Then I used a jeweler's saw to cut a shallow groove along the bottom side of the 'J'. Then I filed the top side of the tip down to a fine point. That was always the hard part for me: getting the wire under the washer (over is easy but the wire breaks).

Technician
    assalam frustating ma,??! u need to practice every day.i have tip 4 u.when u replace corona wires, use pinset.i would help u

Service Manager 100+ Posts CanonHPTech's Avatar
    Yeah, man. Its all practice. When I first started it would take me a couple of times just to restring one side... so it would take me almost any hour for any wires. Now, pretty quick. Can do at least Primary and Transfers in a couple of minutes including cleaning the coronas. Lil' tip about when to replace wires:

What Order To Try To Replace Wire:
    1. Primary Wire (usually 2, solves most image defects, can be as low as every 100K)
    2. Transfer Wires (usually 3)
    3. Pre-Transfer Wire (almost never, just pull out assy. and run w/o if you are T/S an image quality issue)
    4. Primary Grid (never, only clean with alcohol. If you are suspect, replace whole corona. Could spend hours restringing that Grid)

It also good to build up a stock of old corona's you pull, which are good for T/S image defects and springs. Good luck sir.
    The glass maybe half full, but less is more...
    Printer + Fax + Copier = Jack Of Many Trades,
    but Master Of None
    Color Copier = Not A Color Printer
    InkJet MFP = Not A Fax Machine
    B/W Copier = Not A Press
    Finisher = Deal Closer (salesman, not accessory)
    Copier Tech = Admin's Stress Ball (Scapegoat)

jhamer
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    He's right, it's all practice. Last Christmas party our service manager had a corona wire stringing contest. After he saw me do it in 90 seconds cancelled the contest.

After 10 years of stringing (6) corona wires into each Canon 4-5 times a day, its second nature.

My trick is, I made a tool to push the wire down under screw and washer. It's a 21cm length of 2mm steel wire (coat hanger-of course) with a 3mm 'J' bend at the bottom. Then I used a jeweler's saw to cut a shallow groove along the bottom side of the 'J'. Then I filed the top side of the tip down to a fine point. That was always the hard part for me: getting the wire under the washer (over is easy but the wire breaks).
    My trick is to use the tapered end of a bamboo shish ka bob skewer to guide the wire. The bamboo is hard enough so that the wire slides off when you want it to, but soft enough so that it doesn't slide off too easily.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I have an old set of coro's rewired, and fit them in rotation this allows me to rewire at leisure rather than when the customer is breathing down my neck asking if they can just get one copy.

marbek29

Re: Canon IR 5000 Corona Wire

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Man this is frustrating string corona wire.....any tricks or better yet anyone make pre-strung wire....that would save me time. Spending way to long stringing these babies.....thanks, Kurt
    here in the philippines, we replace wire for just 15 mins. we r using modified tool to replace wires easily