Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    markey164

iR-ADV 5030i's Jamming - Canon say its due to humidity?

We have a couple of hundred 5030i devices on our site here in the UK. They are all about 2 years old. In the last few months we have experienced a lot of jamming, and Canon's response is that it is due to humidity. This never really seems to stack up though, as often we have two printers next to each other, and one jams and one doesn't, and it doesn't really help us solve the problem either, as in many cases we are left with printers that barely work, and customers are losing faith in them. I'm beginning to wonder if this issue is more related to the age of the machines, as they seemed fine in the first year of use. Has anyone seen issues with these printers over time? Is the humidity response really likely to be the cause of all our jamming, or is this merely a fob off? The UK is not exactly a tropical country, and it doesn't feel particularly humid here, so i just wonder if this isn't the real cause. We are looking at buying some humidity detectors to gain an insight into whether humidity really is an issue or not. I'm also wondering about suggesting active replacement of the pickup and paper path rollers, are these included in the maintenance kits, and would replacing these be likely to help? Does anyone know what the intervals for replacing these are?

_ 250+ Posts

Re: iR-ADV 5030i's Jamming - Canon say its due to humidity?

Hi,Could you describe where the paper jam is always occur during your trouble shooting? Is it at before / after fixing area? During duplex mode? When the paper is output at Tray C?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Go into service mode and tell US what is the Humidity % say! Please! Thanks!

You dont need humidity detecors to tell me either. Every machine has a sensor. Tell us what that says. New PU tires wouldnt hurt.

Service Manager 250+ Posts

Just to add (but I’m sure Canon would have told you this) when I am faced with jamming issues like this I always suggest the customer try another brand of paper, or more often than not I will supply the customer with a box of good paper. I have found data copy in The UK to be the best we have very few jamming issues when the customer runs their machine on this paper. Also for some reason Xerox paper on Canons seems to cause more jams than most.

Also in the UK we have recently had a lot or rain a very wet “summer” this does cause high humidity & damp paper/jamming issues.

Man About Town 250+ Posts CanonSco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Canon.Tech View Post
    Just to add (but I’m sure Canon would have told you this) when I am faced with jamming issues like this I always suggest the customer try another brand of paper, or more often than not I will supply the customer with a box of good paper. I have found data copy in The UK to be the best we have very few jamming issues when the customer runs their machine on this paper. Also for some reason Xerox paper on Canons seems to cause more jams than most.Also in the UK we have recently had a lot or rain a very wet “summer” this does cause high humidity & damp paper/jamming issues.
    Just to reiterate what my good man above has said. Find out what the actual machine humidity is on the worst offending machines. What paper are you using? Have you tried different paper , even 100gsm , to rule that out yourself? Is it the same across the fleet? Are the machines up to date , both hardware and software.- what version software are they on? ( There are a few changes to some parts as is normal over the life of the machine ).You say that machines are over 2 years, but what mileage are they at? As for replacing the tyres, as long as you use OEM , then 100k is a good ball park figure for replacing. For the cost of them I personally replace them before that if I am in anyway.what jam codes are they suffering from? and how often exactly?Are you a dealer tech or on site operator? I would hope that "canon" when they came to investigate asked all these questions already.Remember that if an issue is happening across a whole fleet , then its usually the common denominator.Without the facts , I cant even hazard a guess at your issue, but humidity IS an issue in the UK.EDIT - awesome, the forum seems to have compressed my post into one paragraph, sorry if it is hard to read kids.
    Last edited by CanonSco; 08-07-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: sunstroke
    Yes, I am a nerd.
    Gaming PC - check. Raspberry Pi - Check. Custom ROM on phone - check. Thick glasses - check.

markey164

Hi guys, Thanks for the helpful replies so far. I raised the question because we have been told this in varying degrees over the last few months, including today on a 5030 that has started jamming on virtually page going through it. Yet another 5030 only a few feet away is jamming far less frequently, hence i feel there must be more to this. In answer to some of the questions asked: - In Service mode, the Environment Option shows the following ranges for the last couple of weeks D+°C 24-29, E+%43-49, F+°C 006-097 - The worse affected printer (mentioned above) is jamming nearly everytime on Sensor PS42, the other is jamming on various sensors such as S1, S7, PS42, PS56. - We are using Discovery paper which has been recommended by Canon. I'll see if we can get some from data copy as suggested! - We are now in the process of trying different paper, although the weather has been quite variable over the last few weeks, so it's too early to determine what difference this may make. - We do have duplex set by default, so the majority of jobs will be duplex - The worse affected machine of the 2 sampled has 190k page count, while the lesser affected has a 71k page count. Not sure if a maintenance kit has been fitted to the more heavily used one, but i will follow up on this Couple of questions: - What does D+ E+ and F+ mean in the humidity logs above? - Referring to the point about Tray C being empty, will jams occur more often in this case, and why? Many Thanks for your help so far . I've only just found the forum, and can already see there is some expertise here

Man About Town 250+ Posts CanonSco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markey164 View Post
    Hi guys, Thanks for the helpful replies so far. I raised the question because we have been told this in varying degrees over the last few months, including today on a 5030 that has started jamming on virtually page going through it. Yet another 5030 only a few feet away is jamming far less frequently, hence i feel there must be more to this. In answer to some of the questions asked: - In Service mode, the Environment Option shows the following ranges for the last couple of weeks D+°C 24-29, E+%43-49, F+°C 006-097 - The worse affected printer (mentioned above) is jamming nearly everytime on Sensor PS42, the other is jamming on various sensors such as S1, S7, PS42, PS56. - We are using Discovery paper which has been recommended by Canon. I'll see if we can get some from data copy as suggested! - We are now in the process of trying different paper, although the weather has been quite variable over the last few weeks, so it's too early to determine what difference this may make. - We do have duplex set by default, so the majority of jobs will be duplex - The worse affected machine of the 2 sampled has 190k page count, while the lesser affected has a 71k page count. Not sure if a maintenance kit has been fitted to the more heavily used one, but i will follow up on this Couple of questions: - What does D+ E+ and F+ mean in the humidity logs above? - Referring to the point about Tray C being empty, will jams occur more often in this case, and why? Many Thanks for your help so far . I've only just found the forum, and can already see there is some expertise here
    That's the environmental logs you are looking at.

To check the outside Humidity ( HU % ) go -

Service Mode>Mode List>Copier>Display> Analogue

Service manual for UK states target value of 0 to 22%. Personally for me the average is around <30% ish.
    Yes, I am a nerd.
    Gaming PC - check. Raspberry Pi - Check. Custom ROM on phone - check. Thick glasses - check.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

did u ever check your Outlet voltage supply> especially the Netural to Ground readings ?
    are printers on a dedicated line ??
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Before going too in depth I would check the following : 1 - Upgrade your firmware to the latest (MN6903/DC6501/FIN1501) - especially if you have inner finisher A1's. Make sure you select overwrite all when updating. 2 - If you have Inner Finishers take off the plastic guides that sit around the offset rollers (Grey Tractor Rollers) - It causes more problems than helps. 3 - Check your sensors in the inner 3 way unit are new modified ones (WG8-5783-000) They have white connection blocks. 4 - Check your Orange fixing delivery roller. The bushes get worn or dirty. replace or remove , lub and turn round. This will be tight to turn in the first instance. 5 - The earlier 5030's had a rubbish pick up roller to start. Make sure these are the newer tractor tread ones (FB6-3405). I change my tyres at 100k regardless You may have done all this already so i dont mean to tell you to suck eggs , but i have about 100 of these on my patch and I don't really have many jamming issues...
    Oh...... I can't copy at the moment then ? !!!!!!

markey164

Quote Originally Posted by CanonSco View Post
    That's the environmental logs you are looking at.

To check the outside Humidity ( HU % ) go -

Service Mode>Mode List>Copier>Display> Analogue

Service manual for UK states target value of 0 to 22%. Personally for me the average is around <30% ish.
    I've just checked this and the 2 printers i checked show a humidity readings of 53% and 55% for HUM and 45% and 47% for HUM2. Hmm that's considerably higher than the guideline above which worries me. It certainly doesn't feel humid in that room, but i guess both printers can't be wrong. Could this be our problem?

I'm guessing HUM and HUM2 are 2 sensors in 2 different locations of the machine? Any idea where these are?