Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Remotely changing sleep timers

OK, here's a weird one.

We have a very large account with roughly 1,000 Canon machines. Probably 900 of them are iR3570s, and the rest are iR5075s, iRC4080s, etc...

There is a new push to change the sleep timers to a lower setting, all in an effort to save electricity.

Is there a way to do this "en masse" to do bunches of them at the same time? I've set up iWEMC (imageWARE Enterprise Console) in a test environment in my office, but I see no place to change the timers. No mention of it in the documentation, either.

None of the optional plugins for iWEMC seemed to mention it.

The timers can be set via the RUI on each machine individually, but I really don't relish doing 1,000 + machines.

Thanks in advance!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Adeptus Mechanicus Magos 500+ Posts

What about device information delivery. I dont have experience with it but was given to understand you could set one machine and it would transmit its settings to the rest of the machines on a network.
    The impossible is easy - miracles take a little longer
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.

Re: Remotely changing sleep timers

Quote Originally Posted by mjarbar View Post
    What about device information delivery. I dont have experience with it but was given to understand you could set one machine and it would transmit its settings to the rest of the machines on a network.
    Thanks for the reply.

I thought about that, but it would still require touching each machine individually to set up, and that's even if it would support the timer settings.

As I recall, DID was primarily for spreading address books. I set up a large law firm with it a few years ago. To be honest, it failed more often than it suceded.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

I Canon don't already make software to do so, then the best way to mass change settings is to ask Canon for a copy of the print MIB file and the OID of the setting that you want to change, import this into an SNMP utility and make the change to the OID for the power save mode.

You would still have to manually enter in all the IP addresses of the MFD's in to the software so that it only transmitted the change to Canon devices, but would still be quicker than going to the web interface or physically visiting each machine.

If you have the correct MIB, you can do quite a lot with SNMP. You can tell when a door is open in a machine, you tell when the machine is in a jam state, hell you could even reset the counter if you wanted to.

Now before anyone jumps on their high horse about resetting, no, I am not going to tell you how to do this. More to the point, you can only do this with the manufacturers MIB file which if Canon are anything like Toshiba and Konica Minolta, then you need to sign non-disclosure agreements and bunch of other stuff which stops you from giving the MIB out.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    I Canon don't already make software to do so, then the best way to mass change settings is to ask Canon for a copy of the print MIB file and the OID of the setting that you want to change, import this into an SNMP utility and make the change to the OID for the power save mode.You would still have to manually enter in all the IP addresses of the MFD's in to the software so that it only transmitted the change to Canon devices, but would still be quicker than going to the web interface or physically visiting each machine.If you have the correct MIB, you can do quite a lot with SNMP. You can tell when a door is open in a machine, you tell when the machine is in a jam state, hell you could even reset the counter if you wanted to.Now before anyone jumps on their high horse about resetting, no, I am not going to tell you how to do this. More to the point, you can only do this with the manufacturers MIB file which if Canon are anything like Toshiba and Konica Minolta, then you need to sign non-disclosure agreements and bunch of other stuff which stops you from giving the MIB out.
    Thanks, Mr. Owl.I have access to the MIB already.I'll download a copy and check it out.

Nuts.

I have the public MIB, and it contains no timer info.

No private MIB; I'll have to search my archives for it... that may keep me 'til Christmas.