Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Canon 1023IF

Canon 1023IF

Help Needed! I have a customer who has a 1023IF machine. When trying to set it up to print found it had a bad net card replaced the card, now it can ping, print and fax from the customers computers with no problem. Now was trying to set it up to scan from the machine to a folder on their server with no luck. Turned on the SMB client and set it up the correct way I think with a host name, server name, with the path written both ways with the computers name and IP address to the shared file with full rights with no success. When I try to scan I get a sheet telling me the scan failed NG Hopefully someone can shed some light with other ideas to try or tell me what I am missing. A question I have does this machine need a canon key to permit the scan feature to work correctly? I would be very grateful for any help I can get thanks.

Service Manager 250+ Posts lkrsardis's Avatar

no scan

download network scangear from canon.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    make sure you download and install the canon assist application, should be on the disc. I cant think of the correct name right at the moment, but without it, it doesn't work properly or not at all, depending on the application. I thought i had a bad print card one time also, but it was because an "IF" only prints UFR unless you have the pcl board in it.and I had to have the assist application
    Last edited by yourownfree; 12-21-2007 at 07:12 PM. Reason: added more comment

update

First I want to thank you for your replies. But to update the problem what we are trying to do is to scan directly from the 1023 by pressing the send button using SMB and sending the scan directly to a shared folder on their server that has full rights to everyone. Would you know if there is anything besides SMB that need to be enabled or disabled to allow smb to function? Another question would be after changing the network card is the canon key assigned to the mac address or should I need to be concerned with it. Thanks for any help you can give.

Thumbs down New 1023IF out of the box

Now I have two 1023IF machines right out of the box that the network card does not work. Cannot ping from a network or a crossover cable. The first machine, installed a new network card and the machine came up and was able to print and fax from the network and using a crossover cable. Now the second machine is doing the same. Has anyone else been having issues with the network cards in this model?

Smile Fixes I found for SMB scanning to folder

The second machine that was posted above, reseated plugs on net card readdressed the network IP address and it seems to be working.
    Now for the SMB scanning to folder:EXample::::
    Computer name = comp
    folder= test
    sub folder= scan

first make sure you turn on smb client and leave the rest of smb blank
    then create a favorite key 1 thru 4
    When creating the key you will have to force it to use smb the first time for it to appear on its own then after.
    give the key a name in favorites
    in the host name using the example above enter \\comp\test
    in the path name enter \scan
    Next make sure you enter a user name who haves rights on the computer where the folder is and is set up with full rights (READ AND WRITE) and is being shared.
    Then enter the users password.
    Set up file format as PDF or whatever you want.
    After completing this make sure you power the machine off then back on, now you are ready to test scanning to a folder.
    If you assigned it to key one example name (scan) then you would press the send button then key one which should be saying scan and press the start key and check the folder you should see the scan in the folder on the computer.
    Hope this makes sense and is able to help the next person trying to set this model up for scanning to a folder.

Can the canon 1023IF do fax forwarding????

Checked the owners manual and the service manual and see nothing about fax forwarding to a folder.
    I have a customer who would like all of the incoming faxes to goto a folder instead of printing them out.
    Does anyone know a way of making this model accomplish this!
    Any input would be helpful and thanks.

Technician 250+ Posts
    May not be much help but: Fax forwarding is one of the "Advanced" features. How to set it (and other advanced features) is contained in
    iR 1019_1023 Advanced Operation Guide (US). It is a PDF.

I got my copy from the CD that comes with the unit. I have not seen it on e-support but have heard it may be on ISG.

BTW: When sending a scan to a file, make sure the password is not blank. My limited attempts to "make it happen" with Server 2003 failed until I discovered that the user password cannot be blank.
    Last edited by costd; 01-03-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Added note

Guy 50+ Posts
    The key to this whole thing is that the SMB Client is turned ON. I spent 3 hours with this thing testing it with the EXACT same settings i've used on EVERY other canon w/ send, even connected direclty to my laptop via crossover, until i visited this thread and, even though i thought it was a long shot, i turned on the SMB client on and Voila!

Everything else is just as it is on every other Canon box w/ Send. On the rest, there is no need to turn on SMB, but for the 1023...

...Don't forget to turn on SMB Client!