Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: canon pc745

blackink

canon pc745

I keep getting error message for jammed paper but there is no paper jam that i can find. what else can i do to reset copier.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    what does the jam light look like? if you cant see the paper then it is probably one that got caught, they paper was pulled out the same way it went in, and the sensor flag got caught on it and ripped a piece out of it, and stuck the sensor. Sensor flag located between drum and cassette paper path in the middle of the path.
    Or where the paper exits at the fuser roller, its possible a paper never exited, and crumpled up in that area, so it is activating a sensor flag. Visuallly follw the paper path from the cassette to the exit. there are usually only two paper path sensors, one just before the drum and one at the exit. I dont remember what this machine looks like if its a 6012 or 7130. Either way thats probably it unless you are seeing a different light other than jam.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    canon pc745

This machine is like the NP6012. I common problem with these is that when the paper jam is removed from the fuser the exit switch flag can get snapped off.

blackink
    I followed the path but not sure what the sensor looks like however, I hear a hung sound as if the gears are not catching. Do you think its worth getting a repairmen or just buying another I've had it about 4 years.

blackink
    what does the switch flag llook like

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

what to do

Question first? does it keep running and running and running and wont stop?
    If so it needs toner. What does the light look like that is on? A pile of cannon balls? Cannon balls are add toner light.
    Now as for the service call. I don't know what they charge in your area. But where i am we charge $35 estimate $100 to work on it, deduct the $35 if you decide you want to work on it, parts on top of that if needed. Parts are not cheap anymore, especially the bigger items. You could pay someone to fix it for $100 or could be more. Then again, right after you pay them something else goes wrong. How about the drum unit, developer unit or fixing unit? they have a shelf life and a copy life. The drum about 29,500 30,000 if it has a copy counter chip in the drum unit that counts copies, when its reached you are done until one is replaced or you find a chip and continue on until you cant stand the copies anymore. It is possible to pick up a new unit with a 3 year warranty for less than $1000. A commercial model, not one you can buy at an office store. Those use high cost consumable items. Like going to the office store to buy a $39 printer but refill inks are $30 a whack. The idea is the same. You know, only you can make a decision as to what you want to do. Personally I'd go for the estimate, $35 or whatever it is, will let you know what you need to do.
    If the cost is too much, sell the copier to someone else, and use that money towards a new one. Don't give it to the dealer just to get rid of it.
    If nothing else, sell it on ebay,make sure the buyer pays shipping.
    Last edited by yourownfree; 01-15-2008 at 02:13 AM. Reason: clarification

Service Manager 250+ Posts lkrsardis's Avatar

pc745

The canon pc745 uses a toner/drum cart.,not like the np series that has a separate drum and developer unit. the cart. number is E31 0r E40.