Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Troubleshooting Sheet

Lightbulb Troubleshooting Sheet

Troubleshooting Reference Sheet/
    learning tool on how to post/ & prepare to ask a question in the Help Forum/

used worldwide !! it's all about getting the the facts Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How

5WH.pdf

for all / especially for non-techs & Key Op's reporting an issue

see attach or below

W-W-W-W-W-H.jpg
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Troubleshooting Sheet

Re: Troubleshooting Sheet

Nice work. I don't know if there is a formal approach but I've been doing something similar for quite a while.

I'll start with a blank piece of paper (one of the few things you can count on most of the time).
    When I first arrive, I'll ask to talk to the person who placed the call. At first we'll stand in front of the machine and discuss whatever the enduser would like. When I've got a rough idea what is happening I'll ask a few qualifying questions, and attempt to repeat the problem while the enduser is still present. Often very simple problems get resolved immediately. And customers often reveal information you would not have discovered.

The paper is especially helpful when you've got multiple problems and need to sort out what is associated and what is not. Here is a recent example from a Copystar FalconIII:
    1) Misfeeds J41 yesterday every time
    2) Loud squealing noise yesterday, not today
    3) Paper skew and image blur 237mm from leading edge on legal only
    4) Multifeeds from MPT only

In this case I could not reproduce #1 and #2. Next I'll investigate. I'll start by looking up jam codes, error codes, and any pertinent reference information. Without making major changes to the machine I'll investigate the items that are most obvious. J41 is jamming in the fuser. A quick examination of the fuser revealed 1/2 dozen loose roller bearings, a lot of rust, and a handful of press roller bearing bits. This call turns out to be simpler than I thought. #1, #2, and #3 are all connected to the press roller bearings. When disassembling the the MP tray I discover that the separation roller is disengaged from the torque limiter. This machine is close to PM and I do not have a fuser or bearing or PM kit on-hand, so this machine will remain down until tomorrow.

The reason that I try not to disturb the machine is that the evidence that you're looking for is easily removed by basic cleaning. If you're going to clean during this investigation stage, you must pay particular attention to these things that stand out as different: rust, color, smell, ... anything unusual.

Next Fix. I'll usually start out with the issues that most greatly disable the machine. If I haven't figured out all the issues, I'll start with the ones that I have figured out. It's a very pleasant surprise to discover that another one of your issues is resolved in the same fix. The stupid plastic clips were not keeping the separation roller engaged. I added some shims and a steel E-clip to keep it all in place. This situation is a little different than most. These fixes are best executed while performing the PM.

Next Document. Not just the invoice and the log, now it the best time to gather all the details together for future reference. It's fresh in your mind, and you'll never understand it better than right now. Jam codes, error codes, symptoms, sounds, customer impressions (even if they're off-track, or misleading).

Next Explain. The customer will want to know that you fixed it (or in this case didn't, and will tomorrow). This is where I often go wrong. The customer does not usually require a lot of detail, but I sometimes cannot resist explaining beyond their interest level. If you skip this step, the customer will assume that you're not interested in fixing their problem.

Personally I take this one step further. Once a week I record the more interesting service calls into an Excel database. I learned early on that there will be much more information than I'm able to recall. I can usually recall enough keywords to find any record. Sometimes it seems like magic.

So here's the short list:
    1) Gather information
    2) Investigate
    3) Fix (repeat #2 & #3 as many times as necessary)
    4) Document
    5) Explain

So we've got many very talented technicians here. What do you different? What can be improved? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Troubleshooting Sheet

Now that's a troubleshooting procedure

great explain------------Efficiency_Expert.JPG
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

That's a great Procedure - what about the times you ask the young, lovely, great smelling lady with a lowcut top.... the question..... (with a glint in your eye and a turned up smirk on your dial) - "and what seems to be the problem with your copier?" "er it just don't cut the mustard y'know" - "NO!!!".
    Or "every time I print or try to copy it jams and it has for weeks - we just need a new one!!". So you have a look at the Jam/Error History and it tells you 2 jams today 1000 copies between and prior to that one 3 weeks ago - show them the History and "oh" is all you get, but at least you can walk out of there and whisper - "UP YOURS!!!".

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Victor285's Avatar

Cool Re: Troubleshooting Sheet

Nice reminder sheet to be sure to capture all the pertinent details to fix a problem. This would be a great tool to use when taking call from client. The only thing I would add would be if it's a copy quality issue, to ask caller to keep a sample of the problem with the machine at the time call is placed. Sometimes it helps cut through the emotional clutter.

Thumbs up Re: Troubleshooting Sheet

a great way to save time money and future problems thanks.