Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    8300s2013

Re: IPF8300 Hardware Error 2F48

Quote Originally Posted by nykr95 View Post
    Hi - well i had multiple issues caused by the prior owner trying to move the printer. He spilled ink and then turned it on. I ended up replacing the mainboard also. All the parts were scavenged.
    One warning - when things go bad on this printer you spend more money in ink than anything else.
    Really poor design. I have 2 HP' s and they dont clog nearly as much as canon or epson. And use reasonable ink to tesolve problems when they come up.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

This all started when I got the message to replace the left print head. I replaced it per canon and upgraded the firware. Then I took the error. Canon told me that due to the age it was wise to replace the Right print head. I did and it take the same error. So it looks like I need the rest of the parts below. By any chance do you have a source for the parts? Im searching on line and all I can find is the Carriage Relay PCB board.
    QM3-3121-010, QM3-3121-000- Canon IPF8300 Carriage Relay PCB Item Inc.

PF8300 series ①Replace the
    printhead. - Done

②Replace the CR
    relay board.
    ③Check/ replace

the long flexible
    cable.

④Replace the main PCB

Technician

Well,

Maybe Ebay - u can order the cable from canon.

Doubt its the cable. The Mainboard is the most expensive
    part. See what I was saying the printheads and mainboard and ink you probably are wasting u can get another printer.

Quote Originally Posted by 8300s2013 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply.

This all started when I got the message to replace the left print head. I replaced it per canon and upgraded the firware. Then I took the error. Canon told me that due to the age it was wise to replace the Right print head. I did and it take the same error. So it looks like I need the rest of the parts below. By any chance do you have a source for the parts? Im searching on line and all I can find is the Carriage Relay PCB board.
    QM3-3121-010, QM3-3121-000- Canon IPF8300 Carriage Relay PCB Item Inc.

PF8300 series ①Replace the
    printhead. - Done

②Replace the CR
    relay board.
    ③Check/ replace

the long flexible
    cable.

④Replace the main PCB

I just got a hold of a ipf8300s displaying the same issue. originally it would not give correct printer head info serials where FFFF so I removed the printheads and the machine fired up and started to respond. I placed in the left head and was able to read a proper serial number so I removed it and put in the right head and the machine locked up again so fault was in right print head. I just got in a a new head and it started charging the lines all went well. I updated the firmware to latest 1.11 for 8300s model and did a gap calibration. it finished that so I went for a nozzle check and I got the error 2f48. I have noticed a bit of a high pitched whine coming from the machine when it's processing. is that whine normal to this machine because my ipf6200 does not make the same noise.
    that 6200 had a similar issue with bad heads with caused the dreaded cover open issue that I remedied. the head took out the multi sensor, the cr board and a pico fuse on the main board. if you ever get the top sensor issue you need to check that pico fuse feeding the door sensors.
    now am I looking at the same issue but just a different error? I have not opened the machine to further diagnose yet as im waiting for some replies to give me an idea where to look first.
    it is located in a really awkward spot and hard to work on. the whine almost sounds like bad caps but I did not thoroughly look the last time the machine was apart as I did not have the new head and did not know of this error till today.
    thank you in advance.
    Last edited by bronxteck; 10-11-2017 at 02:42 AM.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by bronxteck View Post
    I just got a hold of a ipf8300s displaying the same issue. originally it would not give correct printer head info serials where FFFF so I removed the printheads and the machine fired up and started to respond. I placed in the left head and was able to read a proper serial number so I removed it and put in the right head and the machine locked up again so fault was in right print head. I just got in a a new head and it started charging the lines all went well. I updated the firmware to latest 1.11 for 8300s model and did a gap calibration. it finished that so I went for a nozzle check and I got the error 2f48. I have noticed a bit of a high pitched whine coming from the machine when it's processing. is that whine normal to this machine because my ipf6200 does not make the same noise.
    that 6200 had a similar issue with bad heads with caused the dreaded cover open issue that I remedied. the head took out the multi sensor, the cr board and a pico fuse on the main board. if you ever get the top sensor issue you need to check that pico fuse feeding the door sensors.
    now am I looking at the same issue but just a different error? I have not opened the machine to further diagnose yet as im waiting for some replies to give me an idea where to look first.
    it is located in a really awkward spot and hard to work on. the whine almost sounds like bad caps but I did not thoroughly look the last time the machine was apart as I did not have the new head and did not know of this error till today.
    thank you in advance.
    I haven't looked at this in while. In my case I ended up with a bad main board and I believe bad board where the heads are. It just became too expensive to screw around with heads - at $900 for the pair and all the ink that is wasted with this machine when recharcing. I ended up getting an old HP3100/3200 - heads much cheaper - doesn't waste ink when trying to clean it etc. I fixed my machine but I am not using it because I need a new head. Waiting for enough work where tit makes sense to purchase one. The HP I can leave off for months and with a quick cleaning cycle it's up and running. Canon was much faster but still not worth it. Not sure if the new models are better.

did you replace it with the same board or are some boards cross compatible? like using a 8400s board on my 8300s but force flashing 8300s firmware onto the board with L service printer tool. seems some parts are discontinued.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by bronxteck View Post
    did you replace it with the same board or are some boards cross compatible? like using a 8400s board on my 8300s but force flashing 8300s firmware onto the board with L service printer tool. seems some parts are discontinued.
    Hi,

I replaced it with the exact same board.

well I went through all the boards. head board, rc board, main board checked all the pico fuses even went through the power supply I did not find anything other then it sure as heck likes to dump ink like crazy when priming. literally filled the maintenance cart heck of a mess LOL. I have not replaced the left head. could the heater be bad in it and it not show the code for it? I do not know which pads on the head correspond to the heater to compare it to the good head is there info on the head pins? I do not want to invest in trial and error fixes as the canon manual states to do.
    idk when I was a tech there where actual schematics for electronics

just an update

by the way i took your advice and my solution to this problem was to get another working machine. it was cheaper then dicking around with this one since i had to get some work done
    but now i have some time to go back to this machine and well i found out where the problem started i looked at the bottom of the right print head and found a burned area on it the 2 exposed copper traces that got burned go to the top right and bottom right of the head pins board if your standing in front of the carriage assembly with the pins facing you. bottom right tones out to ground so i guess i need to trace back the top right it looks to be a power since while checking i can see that capacitors are charging from the readings so maybe there are also burned traces behind the pin block i do not know how that comes apart but i might have an old bad rc board from a ipf6200 i can attempt to disassemble. i guess step 2 is try and trace it all the way back to the main board.

sorry to take so long to replay but there was a good outcome

well I finally found a solution and fixed the 2F48 error on my IPF8300s and my ipf8300.
    the issue on the ipf8300s was 2 open resistors one on the carriage board the other on the main board fix 1 and 2.
    on the ipf8300 it was just fix number one

Fix 1. on the carriage board it was R301 a 10 ohm resistor numbered "100" coming off of a FU302 trace connected in series to a resister numbered "0".
    Fix 2. on the main board there was a 47ohm resistor bank of 4 resistors numbered "470" with one opened line coming from j3501 pin 22 the other 3 ohmed out fine.

originally I found the right head had a burned hole on the bottom near the nozzles area. that was the IPF8300s but putting a new head did not resolve the issue. now I know why at least 2 opened resistors in my case.
    the ipf8300 had a different issue on the left head. something about eprom and 2 clicks from home position but I guess swapping parts between them transferred the 2F48 issue since I had bought a head reseter so I could test the heads between machines since canon decided to marry then to the first machine it installs in to.

hope someone can find this useful since canon wants so much money swapping parts out. I believe the fix for 2F48 is most likely repair number 1 which can be tested for with a simple multimeter.
    fix number 2 is also preformed with a simple multimeter both checks are done with either a continuity test or just check the ohms value.

ok got board and installed the bad head that fries the logic board to see what it damages on the left side and to see what errors it creates. so again in blew out one line on the 4 resistor pack numbered "470" coming off pin 22 but this time on j3601 which corresponds to the left head. but still same number pin 22 like it damaged on j3501. on normal boot I got multi sensor error and the machine did not fire up like usual the carriage just moved slightly with no fans. I rebooted it a few times and it gave other errors one was top cover open.
    in service mode I got to the menu and tried a few things. it gave a carriage sensor error.
    I jumped out the bad 47 ohm resistor with a 47 ohm resistor and the machine fired back up. so in conclusion when you have a bad main board because of bad head issues you should check those 47 ohm resistor packs labeled "470" coming off j3501 and j3601 looks like they are used as circuit protection as they seem to be rated at 1 amp. it looks like it might me a Panasonic EXB-38V470JV 47ohm resistor array