Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Unkraut2

Re: IPF8300 Hardware Error 2F48

Dear all,

I am also fighting with a 2F48 error on an ipf6350. Maybe someone could help me.

Similar to bronxteck I found one of the resistors on the main PCB (on HE-4, right printhead) was open. I replaced the resistor. The heads are both new (but still saw the old resistor). Now after this replacements I can do a nozzle check via the service mode and I get an Ok for all channels. Also, checking the the head voltage (HV) during the nozzle check results in a reading 24.0V on the multimeter. Therefore I assume, the heads are in good condition, controlling them works and the PSU is fine. Still, if I try to print anything, I get a 2F48 error.

The weired thing is, that when I try to print anything, the PSU does not even get a signal to raise the HV. Therefore, I am asking myself, why the CPU does not raise the HV enable line? Has anyone experienced something similar? Is there any check done before the HV enable line is raised which might be failing?

Please don't tell me to replace the Main PCB. This I might do this, but only if I fail to find the rootcause of the issue.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    IPF8300 Hardware Error 2F48

Quote Originally Posted by Unkraut2 View Post
    Dear all,

I am also fighting with a 2F48 error on an ipf6350. Maybe someone could help me.

Similar to bronxteck I found one of the resistors on the main PCB (on HE-4, right printhead) was open. I replaced the resistor. The heads are both new (but still saw the old resistor). Now after this replacements I can do a nozzle check via the service mode and I get an Ok for all channels. Also, checking the the head voltage (HV) during the nozzle check results in a reading 24.0V on the multimeter. Therefore I assume, the heads are in good condition, controlling them works and the PSU is fine. Still, if I try to print anything, I get a 2F48 error.

The weired thing is, that when I try to print anything, the PSU does not even get a signal to raise the HV. Therefore, I am asking myself, why the CPU does not raise the HV enable line? Has anyone experienced something similar? Is there any check done before the HV enable line is raised which might be failing?

Please don't tell me to replace the Main PCB. This I might do this, but only if I fail to find the rootcause of the issue.

MAYBE you should start your own thread ( since it is a different model ) and this thread is from 2013

well you should first try reflashing the latest firmware with L-service printer tool so that the new heads also get updated with the same firmware...

also did you just swap out the heads while the machine was off without doing it through the service menu "replace print heads" because the error might just be still in the eprom because it does not know you replaced the heads.

if that was the case just run it then remove them, reboot the machine without the heads then place them back in there respective spots L head to Left side and R head to right side when it asks for them.

I did come across a 6300 a while back and it did have also blown resistors and bad switches for the navigation buttons. I reset the 8300 heads and swapped in the heads from it; and I did conclude that the main board was bad. but it came with media and full ink carts so not a total loss I used the supplies on my 6400 as they are compatible. I ended up parting out the 6300... the parts are just sitting in a bin in my shed.
    im also looking to down size and am looking to get rid of 2 more printers. it was a total of 5 at one time.

Unkraut2

Thank you bronxteck,

the firmware was already the latest version. I still tried to update with the L-service tool. Then I took out the heads and started in normal mode. When asked to insert the heads I put them in. The printer went through the fil-up-ink procedure and also did its nozzle checks. All fine up to this point. The entire time, the head voltage was on and fine. Now after this procedure, when I tried to print a nozzle check, I again got the 2F48 error. Again, the HV enable was not raised.

By the way, I checked the broken head with a component tester. There was a short circuit between the HV and the pin where the resistor was blown. Seems like the heads tend to fail this way. So, the root cause of the issues is clear and should actually be fixed. It's strange that the machine is blocked this way.

Btw. since the 6350 and 8300 are very similar machines I guess this issue should be common. Isn't it?

well the 8300 had also a blown resister on the CR board which the 6300 does not have. I think the pins from the head are routed directly to the flex cable from what I remember. check the head ribbons to make sure they did not get damaged. sometimes they don't seat back correctly or the contact can get lifted from the ribbon on insertion. another thing is if the HV line was the source of the short it might have fed back to the CPU if I remember those resisters you replaced feed directly too it. but there are a bunch of pico SMD fuses you can also check I think they have an F designation numbering sequence on the board. you really have to hunt them down as they are pretty tiny and all over the place. I would start around the cpu section of the main board with if I remember on that model might be under a plastic bracket.

Unkraut2

It turned out, R3501 which is in series to FU3501 on the backside of the main board was blown. R3501 supplies the head voltage to a regulator which generates the voltage for the multi sensor LEDs. The failure mechanism was probably a short circuit in the head, which not only destroyed the resistor on the data line but also led to a reverse current on the supply line for the multi sensor destroying the resistor.

For people coming across this and trying to diagnose the issue: Try to load paper and look at the multi sensor. It must light up in red, green and blue. If red is missing, check the supply voltage for the multi sensor LEDs. It should be 20V whenever the head voltage is on. If it is unstable, check the supply circuit. On the 6300 it is on the bottom of the main board with some components on the back side. The supply for the multi sensor is fed to the head PCB via the flat cable supplying the head voltage for the left head. The pins are not documented in the service manual. Instead they are named HV and HV feedback. They are on pin 8 and 10 if I remember correctly. However, please check if this is correct.

Cool Re: IPF8300 Hardware Error 2F48

Quote Originally Posted by Unkraut2 View Post
    It turned out, R3501 which is in series to FU3501 on the backside of the main board was blown. R3501 supplies the head voltage to a regulator which generates the voltage for the multi sensor LEDs. The failure mechanism was probably a short circuit in the head, which not only destroyed the resistor on the data line but also led to a reverse current on the supply line for the multi sensor destroying the resistor.

For people coming across this and trying to diagnose the issue: Try to load paper and look at the multi sensor. It must light up in red, green and blue. If red is missing, check the supply voltage for the multi sensor LEDs. It should be 20V whenever the head voltage is on. If it is unstable, check the supply circuit. On the 6300 it is on the bottom of the main board with some components on the back side. The supply for the multi sensor is fed to the head PCB via the flat cable supplying the head voltage for the left head. The pins are not documented in the service manual. Instead they are named HV and HV feedback. They are on pin 8 and 10 if I remember correctly. However, please check if this is correct.

You are Hired !!!!!
    With a Raise !!!!!
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

hah what am I chopped liver can I be his lackey? hahhah.

Quote Originally Posted by bronxteck View Post
    hah what am I chopped liver can I be his lackey? hahhah.
    ThankyouSpeech.jpg
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

cxpcman

Is there somebody here that can fix the mainboard for the ipf8300 ? i got 4 that need to be fixed heheeh