Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts

IRC 4080/4580/5185 Fixing unit lifetime

When these machines first came out the original fixing lasted about 60K before ripping en ending in an E007. The new units we used to replace them lasten almost 300-400k. After that we received Canon Giessen refurbished units, they lasted 150-200k and some parts like small gears were not refurbished. So we stopped using them, installing only new units since. But i noticed they tend to fail at 100k and even some are doa. These are Canon new units.

Yes i always do FX-UHP-S and FX-LHP-S after replacement.

Last belts don;t even break of move to the side, function fine just keep on E007

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts

Re: IRC 4080/4580/5185 Fixing unit lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Fer View Post
    When these machines first came out the original fixing lasted about 60K before ripping en ending in an E007. The new units we used to replace them lasten almost 300-400k. After that we received Canon Giessen refurbished units, they lasted 150-200k and some parts like small gears were not refurbished. So we stopped using them, installing only new units since. But i noticed they tend to fail at 100k and even some are doa. These are Canon new units.

Last belts don;t even break of move to the side, function fine just keep on E007
    If you getting them from canon call canon up. Tell them that the fixing units are crapping out.
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Twin-Belt Fixing Units (TBFU)

The average life of new-version TBFU’s will reach the original target of 300,000 letter-size prints, and many will exceed the target.

Trying to prove to Canon on units not meeting volume / don't hold your breath

They don't tell u that >testing for that volume is at 5% text coverage

Description ////Part Number//////////////Can It Be Refurbished?
    Twin-Belt Fixing-Unit ////FM3-0691-000 ////////No
    Complete Fixing Assembly ///FM3-3778-000 ///Yes

Complete Fixing Assembly can not be refurbished more than four times.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Same here in germany, the fusing units dont reach their expected lifetime. We send all back to Canon, receiving $ back for the amount of less livetime. One hint: be sure to have the latest firmware and glue the gears in the frontside.
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Herrmann View Post
    Same here in germany, the fusing units dont reach their expected lifetime. We send all back to Canon, receiving $ back for the amount of less livetime. One hint: be sure to have the latest firmware and glue the gears in the frontside.

glue gears in the frontside
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Yes it's difficult to comprehend the Logic behind the manufacture of these High Tech POS Fixing Assys, when you look at the IRADV Units are back to 'Simplicity'. In all IRC5185 series Fixing Units, be they new or Refurbed, I will plaster the Fixing heavy steel gears with 'SUPER LUBE GREASE' FY9-6005-000 and even on PM calls, takes an extra 15-20 mins but we are getting the 300K + out of the Units.

Service Manager 250+ Posts

I use this for the gears in front, the litte ones driving the lower belt. @Canonbundy, do you remove the heater to lube them?

I also use silicon lube to clean the bushing in the Faceup-delivery-door

I use this for the gears in front, the litte ones driving the lower belt. @Canonbundy, do you remove the heater to lube them?

I also use silicon lube to clean the bushing in the Faceup-delivery-door
    No I don't Fer, I just squeeze the Juice in while cranking the Assy by hand, you can hear and feel the difference, works for me.

So what is the general thinking about a NEW Unit's life span ? In general how many does the machine do? 200k pages? 300k pages? Not images, page life. TSA was going to refurb them but I think they pulled the plug on that idea. Fusion tech has before, not sure how they feel about the subject. I would like to hear more tell us what life they are seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Simons View Post
    So what is the general thinking about a NEW Unit's life span ? In general how many does the machine do? 200k pages? 300k pages? Not images, page life. TSA was going to refurb them but I think they pulled the plug on that idea. Fusion tech has before, not sure how they feel about the subject. I would like to hear more tell us what life they are seeing.
    Even with a NEW Unit there is a Note in the box regarding the greasing of the Steel Gears, in my experience it seems like Russian Roulette as to the Page Life, if a problem occurs with the Upper Belt Assy you stand a chance of repairing ie. Heater, Belt & Belt Aligning mech, not so with the Lower Belt Assy, this is where the Steel Drive Gears wear and eventually no drive to the UBA, the evidence of wear can be seen by the piles of metal filings under and around the base of the Fixing Assy. If you have a spare couple of hrs and a stuffed Unit, dismantle the LBA for an eye opening experience.