Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Canon iR C3380 USB install WINXP

hello, i got a canon iR C3380 i wasnt sure what was wrong it powers up no error messages but when i try to connect to PC via USB i get the following errors, if i use the set up it says" CANNOT RECOGNIZE USB CONNECTION" tried new usb cable and PC port no luck and when i use windows xp install a new printer wizard it gives the following error"CANNOT PRINT BECAUSE THE VERSION OF THE DEVICE DEVICE CONTROLLER IS OLD. Any help to solve this is welcome, thanks.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Canon iR C3380 USB install WINXP

Hi what version is the System Software.

Technician

its controller version: 9401.7601.6502
    main board version: 6

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by techd View Post
    hello, i got a canon iR C3380 i wasnt sure what was wrong it powers up no error messages but when i try to connect to PC via USB i get the following errors, if i use the set up it says" CANNOT RECOGNIZE USB CONNECTION" tried new usb cable and PC port no luck and when i use windows xp install a new printer wizard it gives the following error"CANNOT PRINT BECAUSE THE VERSION OF THE DEVICE DEVICE CONTROLLER IS OLD. Any help to solve this is welcome, thanks.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageRUNNER 2016 / 2020 / 2230 / 2830 / 3530 / 2270 / 2870 / 3570 / 4570 / 5070 / 5570 / 6570 / 85+ / 8070 / 9070 / 105+ / 7105 / 7095 / 7086 / 3025 / 3030 / 3035 / 3045 / 5055 / 5065 / 5070 / 5075, imageRUNNER C3170 / C5870 / C6870 / C4080 / C4580 / C5180 / C2880 / C3380 / C4080i / C4580i / C5180i / C2880i / C3380i, All imagePRESS Series

Printing from a PC via a USB cable can only be used when the Canon Multi-PDL Printer Kit is installed.

Using a USB Device
    1) Press [Additional Functions]

2) Press [System Settings]

3) Press the up and down arrow key until [Use USB Device] appears and select it.

4) Select [ON] or [OFF].

ON - The machine accepts job through the USB Interface.
    OFF - The machine does not accept jobs through the USB Interface

5) Press [Done] repeatedly until the Basic Feature screen appears.

Using a USB Host
    Set Use USB Host to 'On' to connect a host device with the machine via the USB port.
    1 Press (Additional Functions)-[System Settings] - [USB Settings] -[Use USB Host].
    2 Select [On] or [Off] - press [OK].

The imageRUNNER-iR Series models support USB 2.0 High Speed printing via one USB 2.0 port located on the machine's main controller board. This USB port will look like this:

This is the only USB port on the machine that will support USB Printing.

Do not attempt to print using a USB Port on the machine that looks like this below:

In order to print via the USB port, the following items are required:

1. The appropriate Canon Printer Kit must be installed in the imageRUNNER.

2. The imageRUNNER-iR Series models do not ship with a USB cable. A USB 2.0 High Speed cable must be obtained on your own.

3. Make sure the 'Use USB Device' setting on the iR is turned 'On'.

Enabling the 'Use USB Device' setting on the machine:

I. For most imageRUNNERs follow these instructions:

1. On the iR, press Additional Functions.
    2. Press System Settings.
    3. Press Network Settings.
    4. Scroll down to 'USB Settings'. Press USB Settings.

5. Select the 'Use USB Device' option.

6. Set it to 'On'. Hit OK.

7. Reboot the imageRUNNER for the changes to take effect.

II. To Enable the 'USB Device' setting on the imageRUNNER 2020/2016 Series:

1. On the Control Panel, press Additional Functions.
    2. Scroll to and select 'System Settings'. Press OK.
    3. Scroll to and select 'Use Device USB'. Set to 'On'.
    4. Reboot the imageRUNNER for the changes to take effect.

NOTE: This 'USB Device' setting is only for printing via the USB port on the main controller board. This USB port does not support External USB Devices (mouse, keyboard, etc), the Remote User Interface (RUI), Network ScanGear, or Universal Send functions.

Other USB Ports:

Some imageRUNNER-iR Series models have optional expansion boards available that provide additional USB ports. These USB ports look like this:

In order to connect an External USB Device (mouse, keyboard, etc) to these USB ports, make sure to enable the 'Use USB Host' setting on the machine. When this is set to 'Off', the connection is disabled preventing the use of an External USB Device. See your specific imageRUNNER model's documentation for specifications on what External USB Devices are supported.

These USB ports CANNOT be used for printing. Use the USB port on the main controller board for USB printing (as described above).
    Last edited by teckat; 04-10-2013 at 11:05 PM.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

hey thanks for the information! but i tried it didn't work still giving the errors and the USB Menu is saying both the USB device and USB host are on, anything else i can try?

hey thanks for the information! but i tried it didn't work still giving the errors and the USB Menu is saying both the USB device and USB host are on, anything else i can try?

U have a Fiery connected of a Multi-Pdl Kit installed

Technician

i have don't know what you mean by that but the card has a NIC, USB and Plugin USB Port....

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

The Fiery is a "box" that mounts on the back of the machine, and is your print controller.

It will have 2 network ports on it (one to the wall, and one to the copier), as well as a SCSI type cable connector to the copier.

Assuming you have no Fiery, what version of USB is your PC? If it is 1.0, I don't think the copier will see it correctly.

Most PCs are version 1.1 or 2.0, and the newest ones are 3.0.

I do know that 1.1 and 2.0 work; I'm not yet been blessed with a 3.0 yet to know if it will. I would think 3.0 is backward compatible down to 2.0 and 1.1 speeds.

Confused yet??
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Technician

no there is no box its a direct connection from the back of the copier's usb port to the PC usb Port and the PC is usb 2.0....

no there is no box its a direct connection from the back of the copier's usb port to the PC usb Port and the PC is usb 2.0....
    where u able to ever network print on this device ???

for the imageRUNNER C3380 / C2880 / C3380i / C2880i SERIES

These are the available print options/ only an "i" series has PCL Printer Kit -Q1 (as standard)

PCL Printer Kit-Q1=LMS License kit must be purchased then activated for use
    or
    PS Printer Kit-Q1=
    LMS License kit must be purchased then activated for use--
    PS Printer Kit-Q1 requires that PCL Printer Kit-Q1 and iR 512MB Expansion RAM-C1 be previously installed.

or Fiery imagePASS J1
    ( u don't have this)

You can check for the LMS-based Printer Kit on the Canon device the same way as you would check for any other installed LMS-based option or kit.

Perform the following steps:

1. Press the [Counter Check] button on the copier control panel.

2. Hit the [Device Configuration] button on the LCD screen.

3. Scroll down through all of the available pages on this Device Configuration screen. Look for either PS, PCL or UFRII. The methods listed here (ex. PS, PCL, or UFRII) are installed and are available for printing.

For example, if you find UFRII and PCL, but do not find PS on this screen on an iR C5180, it means that the UFRII/PCL Printer Kit is installed, but the PS Printer Kit is not installed. The exact Canon Printer Kits available vary by device model. See your specific device's documentation for more information.

* Note - You will need to install the appropriate printer drivers on the workstation in order to print.