Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Tech

Re: Operate iRC3200N from keypad?

If you boot up holding the 1+7 keys together this will get you into fixip mode which is always 172.16.1.100 with subnet mask at 255.255.255.0. You should now be able to hook your laptop up and get into the RUI if all else is good. You can then change the IP address to what you want.

Hope this helps a little more.

Technician

Angry Re: Operate iRC3200N from keypad?

Hi again all

So I'm finally coming back to this, after life got in the way for almost a year.. (the copier has been "furniture" for all this time!)

Huge thanks to those that helped already - I've made some progress. But now I seem to have hit a brick wall, hoping for some more help from some of you kind and knowledgeable souls

I am running SST ver 4.72E, laptop is connected directly to copier via crossover ethernet cable. Copier boots into 2 8 download mode fine, I can ping it, and at least some functions in SST certainly appear to be working correctly. Also boots into 1 9 and appears to complete without any errors then enters download mode.

HDFORMAT claims to work fine, though I'm a little confused what I should be expecting to see - looking through the iRC3200-XXxx0022-HDFormat.ift file seems to suggest that after completion I should be expecting to see all 5 partitions present on drive, but it shows none, is this right? Also not seeing anything happening on the copier screen when doing this, just still says "Download Mode" ..

I then run ALL_HDF_N (since this is a C3200N) which, in order, wants to apply:

restart 2 8
    Download iRC3200N_Boot_XXxx0606
    restart 2 8
    Download iRC3200_Boot_XXxx7001
    Download iRC3200_SYSTEM_USen9003
    Download iRC3200_Language_XXen9003
    Download iRC3200_RUI_XXen7904
    restart 1 7
    Download iRC3200_DCON_XXxx3802
    restart 1 7
    Download iRC3200_RCON_XXxx0401
    restart

Boot 0606 fails, with Error Code 124 "Internal Error" any idea what this means? (and copier screen shows "Download Failed.")

I have tried restarting copier (2 8 again) and resuming from where it left off, so skipping Boot 0606, and the next 4 items appeared to complete succesfully, but now when restarting with 1 7 the screen never even lights up, same if I try a normal boot (so I guess it's more broken than it was before!) - it makes all its usual mechanical start up noises, but never shows anything on screen, and does not respond to ping.

2 8 still works, and I have tried starting again from scratch quite a few times with no joy.

Also when running HDFORMAT again to start from scratch, there is now one Partition visible, /BOOTDEV, and formatting all doesn't remove this or add others.. is it really even doing anything?

If I try to run iRC3200N BOOT XXxxv0606 on its own, the same error comes up.

Have also tried running
    ALL_N - gives same error (actually it runs the exact same set of commands.. just doesn't say ", Set for HDFormat" in "Desc")
    both ALL_HDF_C and iRC3200 BOOT XXxxv0606 on its own - both say wrong device or something, as expected

So what's to blame, the firmware, HDFORMAT, the boot ROM, or the hard drive? Or something else? Me?

Help!!!!

Huge huge thanks to anyone that can shed any light on this!

Anthony

Technician

Oh also, forgot to mention, before trying any of this I removed and reseated the two memory sticks, the boot ROM, and the HDD ribbon cable. No change in behaviour, but nothing visually wrong at least (so hopefully didn't get damp after all)..

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Operate iRC3200N from keypad?

Where are you in The UK BTW? if I'm passing I could have a quick look at this for you
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Where are you in The UK BTW? if I'm passing I could have a quick look at this for you
    Well that's a very kind offer! I'm in Weybridge, Surrey, where are you based?

I'm based in Camberley, Surrey so not far!

I'm based in Surrey too so not far!
    if you have formated the HDD using the SST you you will definatley need to install the system software or the copier wont boot!
    One thing you could do is remove the HDD & fit it to a pc or caddy see if windows will format it etc, if not then the hdd has failed. (It is a standard 3.5" desktop type 40GB if I remember)

Technician

Hah that's funny what were the chances

Yes it is a standard 3.5", specifically a Deskstar in mine, HDS722540VLAT20, the only problem is at the moment none of my built computers actually physically have an IDE controller! I guess technology has officially moved on..

I do have plenty of old kit lying around so I'll build a system to try out the drive when I get a chance, in fact I'm pretty sure I can see a PCI IDE card sitting in an old motherboard, I'll see if it works, but might be a bit of a delay as I have deadlines coming up.

However it does seem like when it is claiming to have been successful it really has been - It claims to have successfully applied

iRC3200_Boot_XXxx7001
    iRC3200_SYSTEM_USen9003
    iRC3200_Language_XXen9003
    iRC3200_RUI_XXen7904

and if I run the batch job again with it set to "Same Ver: Skip / Downgrade: Confirm" it skips them so it must be finding them.

However the troublesome one, iRC3200N_Boot_XXxx0606, which it wants to apply first, before iRC3200_Boot_XXxx7001, warns me that I have 70.01 so I'm trying to replace with the "older" 06.06, and if I say to proceed that's when it tries and throws Error Code 124.

I don't really understand what it's trying to achieve though, with these different versions of the Boot firmware:
    The 'N' batch job first tries to apply this 'N' version of Boot v0606, then restarts, then applies a standard Boot v7001 which is the same for both C and N.
    The 'C' batch job does the same thing, applies the 'C' version of Boot v0606, then restart, then the same Boot v7001 - Obviously this one stops immediately as it can see my device is an 'N' model.
    Is the v0606 some sort of 'resetting' step? How come the v7001 doesn't have different 'N' and 'C' versions?

So now
    I'm thinking.. Does anybody have alternative firmware that I could try?

Cheers

Anthony

The N boot rom is if the machine has print, the C boot rom is if you either have a non print machine version (copier only) or you have the firery rip attached.
    If you're using the firmware I sent you? then it's 100% good, I use it all the time.

Technician

Yeah that's the only firmware I have, what I was thinking was if I could get hold of another version I could see if it will accept it - then if it does, after that from a different starting point it might then accept the one you sent, I don't doubt the firmware is fine, if my damn machine would take it!

I get the difference between 'N' and 'C', what I don't understand is what it's aiming to achieve by installing the 'N' specific v0606 followed by an apparently non specific v7001, the SST seems to think they are just different versions of the same thing and one simply replaces the other but presumably that is not entirely accurate otherwise installing both would be pointless? Should the SST be treating them differently?

Thanks for all your help so far!

Cheers

Anthony