Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Canon IR C3170 Magenta Toner Lost??

All I really would like is confirmation that it does in fact sound like its the Magenta Developer, or if it could be a faulty magenta toner cartridge. But ANY help is priceless at this point. All I have now is a 200lb boat anchor in my home office.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Canon IR C3170 Magenta Toner Lost??

Quote Originally Posted by hugohug View Post
    All I really would like is confirmation that it does in fact sound like its the Magenta Developer, or if it could be a faulty magenta toner cartridge. But ANY help is priceless at this point. All I have now is a 200lb boat anchor in my home office.

Usually developer being dumped from a dev unit is a sign of a stray charge pulling it out of the unit. I don't know if those parts are even available anymore, since the machine came out in 2005. That said, if I remember correctly, this model uses the rotating cylinder for the color units...which was one of those "What were you thinking" moments for Canon.

I'd get a used imageRUNNER Advance C5035/C5235 machine. Color images will be WAY faster, and image quality is much better than the C3170 series. The C3170 was referred to as "Business Color", and wasn't designed for high volume color printing. Anything more than 25% of your printing being in color was overworking that model.

As far as the C3170 goes, I'd call it a day on it.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hugohug View Post
    what model? C3170i
    what have you done? Cleaned the black sensors above the drum (twice), as well as everything else in that general area, of magenta toner
    are you a tech? I am not a trained tech, but am IT at my job, and am very tech savvy
    do you have the manual? I seem to have all manuals that came with it, but none are repair manuals (if there is one)
    of course there's a service manual.. simple troubleshooting in user manual.. more advanced for IT/NetAdin.. but you need a service manual... study the theory section before attempting any hands on... READ the Cautions section... always properly power up/down the unit before pulling any inner machine wiring.
    yes I do have Manual... no i don't share with non-techs.. if found out, I lose my tech rights to portal etc.

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts

I hate 3100c series. Printer with the carrousel is crap. 5 years later the same shit Imagepress C1.
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

I looked after a lot of this model secret was to keep the ATR and Patch sensors clean also ensure the firmware is at latest level as a lot of issues were corrected with updates. Never let the drum go over life as this will throw off the developer readings.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk