Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice@Best

IR 2870-Fax Setup?

Not entirely sure how to start this post, but to make a long story short I've basically become my office's de facto IT guy and need a bit of help setting up our IR 2870's fax functionality. I get the feeling it's insanely simple, but if someone could give me a brief overview of what I have to do I'd be much obliged. I take it the first step would be plugging it into our fax line?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    IR 2870-Fax Setup?

Re: IR 2870-Fax Setup?

it is basically plug and play as long as you have the fax board installed
    The only thing you need to check is the header name and phone number matches your company name and phone number.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Novice@Best

Alrighty, my only question now is why is my machine beeping at me when I plug the line into Line 1? Yes, this is probably a moronic question, but I have very little experience with 'copytech' ;D.

Also your help is immensely appreciated .

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    IR 2870-Fax Setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Novice@Best View Post
    Alrighty, my only question now is why is my machine beeping at me when I plug the line into Line 1? Yes, this is probably a moronic question, but I have very little experience with 'copytech' ;D.

Also your help is immensely appreciated .
    ------------
    Voice Over IP (VoIP) yes/no

do u see a FAX TAB in Send Menu

If not You may have to go into service mode> level 2 and enable the fax option.
    You may do so by executing the following.

1) Go into service mode level 2.
    2) Select Copier, Option, Body.
    3) Page down until you see the option for UI-Fax and set this option for "1".

Tone or Pulse for Fax?
    If this setting is incorrect, you will not be able to dial correctly
    The default setting is 'Tone'.
    1) Press (Additional Functions) ---> [Communications Settings].

You should see [Commons Settings] & [Fax Settings]

2) Under <Fax Settings> Select [User Settings] ---> Press [Tel Line Type].

3) Select the type of telephone line, either TONE or PULSE ---> press [OK].

4) Press [Done] repeatedly until the Send Basic Features screen appears.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Novice@Best

VoIP? I believe no.

I do indeed see a fax tab in the send menu. Also I believe all of the settings should be correct, TONE is selected, I entered the machine's number, and I added a header name (Do these have to be specific values? I simply entered the number for the telephone line and an abbreviated version of our business's name).

I've tried sending several faxes to myself and I've repeatedly gotten the error: "TX FUNCTION WAS NOT COMPLETED"-Not sure if this helps.

Also tried a different RJ11 cable considering the odd beeping the machine commences when I connect it to the line (Or any line for that matter). The cable wasn't the issue.

I apologize for my cluelessness, but meh, it just seems like the machine isn't recognizing the connection . I know it was setup to fax in our old office, if only I would have gotten a chance to take a look at how it was setup...instead of my boss being all gung ho and moving it to the new office before I had a chance .

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    IR 2870-Fax Setup?

Additional Functions > Communications Settings > Fax Settings > TX Settings.

turn OFF
    the option to "Check Dial Tone Before Sending". The machine will now go off hook without checking voltage and current and dial the number,

Cannot send or receive faxes
    Check / replace the modular PCB Assembly--Part#: FM2-0343-000

have u removed back cover to check all connections needed (see Manual)

super g3 fax board-Q1 installation procedure.pdf
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

_ 250+ Posts

Hi,If your RJ11 is tested with a analog phone and able to hear a dailing tone, then try plugging RJ11 line into the other jack of the copier. Maybe whoever install your copier's fax option, have kinda of reverse the small PCB. There ought to be 2 RJ11 jacks (1 with "Line" & other a phone icon"). No harm trying the other jack to see if the beeping noise is gone.

Novice@Best

I actually did try that and the beeping did stop.

Another thing to mention is that when it's plugged into the "beeping line" (Line 1) and I try to send a fax, the screen that pops up as you enter in the destination number will crash unless I input the number very quickly. This doesn't happen when it's plugged into the alternate line (The handset one/Non-beeping line). All of this leads me to believe you're right-although I didn't expect it to be possible for it to be setup like that.

The thing is when I tried to send a fax on the "non-beeping line" it didn't seem to be successful :\. I plugged the fax into the line and setup the fax number (area code+the 7 digit number), is there anything super basic I'm missing here?

_ 250+ Posts

Hi,At the FAX/SEND tab of copier's LCD, there is button "FAX". Select it, then select a button "Off-hook" you ought to be able to hear the dailing tone. If it is silence, test if copier's speaker is faulty by pressing any hard-keys buttons of numerical pad.

Technician

One other thing to consider, is your fax line also your DSL/Internet line. If so you will need one of those DSL filters on the fax line to the machine. The beeping your hearing may be the DSL signal.