Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

How to configure windows share printer on mac os

Dear team,
    I want to share the printer drivers installed on windows server 2008 to mac pc.I am able to do it on mac pc but it is giving me error while giving print.I am using canon ufr printer drivers.I want to know that this is driver issue or os issue?

Support Desk 50+ Posts SlipperyCat's Avatar

Re: How to configure windows share printer on mac os

I've seen where you can share a generic Post Script driver on a 64bit Windows server where the MAC's can talk to it but it's a very basic driver and won't have any finishing features or things like that. I'm not sure what driver the IT guy used (when I saw it) but you can try a PS driver. Not sure what a "ufr" driver means. Must be a Canon thing.

How many MAC's are we talking about? I usually load MAC drivers individually if there aren't too many because of the Windows/MAC communication barrier when it comes to print drivers.

If anyone knows please chime in. I'd love to get an answer to this one myself.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Canon Support:

This environment (printer sharing from Mac OS X) is not officially supported by Canon.
    It is recommended that the Canon drivers be installed locally on each Mac OS X computer. Follow the instructions for your specific driver, device, and OS.

Printing in this manner may work in your environment when using the PPDs (Canon PPDs or Fiery PPDs), rather than the drivers (PS drivers, UFRII drivers, or Fax drivers). However, it is not officially supported by Canon.

**Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyCat View Post
    I've seen where you can share a generic Post Script driver on a 64bit Windows server where the MAC's can talk to it but it's a very basic driver and won't have any finishing features or things like that. I'm not sure what driver the IT guy used (when I saw it) but you can try a PS driver. Not sure what a "ufr" driver means. Must be a Canon thing.

How many MAC's are we talking about? I usually load MAC drivers individually if there aren't too many because of the Windows/MAC communication barrier when it comes to print drivers.

If anyone knows please chime in. I'd love to get an answer to this one myself.
    ================================================== =================================

Ultra Fast Rendering (UFR) is a page description language (PDL)

UFR print drivers are written by Canon for Canon MFDs

Power of UFR II.pdf
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**