Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Serial number headache

Hi everyone, I am having a bit of trouble adding a machine into e-maintenence.

Firstly let me say I in no way want to change counters, I'll repeat I do not want to change counters :-)

Right thats clear then :-)

Long before I joined my company and long before the days of e-maintenence someone had arranged a send kit to be installed in an IR5065. Now this wasn't arranged through Canon. Who, why or when I really dont know. I now have the job of getting this machine to report to e-maintenence.

The problem is this dodgy send kit seems to have changed the serial number of the machine. The machine is on a Uniflow system and works perfectly well, however Uniflow reports a different serial number to the one on the back of the machine. Also when pressing the 123 button only the machine model is displayed on the screen, not serial number as it should.

e-maintenence wont allow me to add the Uniflow reported serial number into the system as it thinks its already there. Using the correct serial from the back of the machine the system lets me add it in however doesn't see the test connection or any further reports of reading or errors.

What I want to do is set the correct serial number back on the machine. Reading various posts on here I am thinking it cant be done, but I though I would ask the question anyway, someone might be able to help. I would even be happy to remove the dodgy send kit if it can be returned to its original correct serial number.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Serial number headache

if RDS won't allow you to put a serial number in the system it's because the device serial number is already in someone elses RDS list. You're going to have to contact who you bought the kid from so they can release it from the RDS ugwportal.

A send kit will never alter any serialized pcb's. That's linked between your maincon, dcon, counter pcb and anti counterfit pcb. To get your serial number to show up under counter check Go to Service Mode Level 2 > *28* *2 > Copier > Option > User > CNT-DSP and set the value to 0

Technician

Thanks for the reply northernlife, I will try what you mentioned to display the serial number on screen, however I expect it will show the incorrect serial number. The reason for my suspicion is the fact that Uniflow reports the incorrect SN. When you add a machine into UF it queries the device and pulls across the SN and other details.

I have a few machines in different customers where this 'fix' has been applied, they all report this same erroneous serial number. I have previously escalated to Canon for assistance when I discovered the first one but drew a blank, I have since discovered others unfortunately.

Discussing the issue with the boss he said all that was done was, non i models were made able to send, nothing dodgy about it he said.... From what I have read on here it shouldn't be possible, but apparently this chap found a way.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Serial number headache

Discussing the issue with the boss he said all that was done was, non i models were made able to send, nothing dodgy about it he said.... From what I have read on here it shouldn't be possible, but apparently this chap found a way.

Serial Number
    PCB is located above the DC Controller.

**Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

You can buy the licenses for said features. But there's no way that it would alter the serial number at all. If you browse to it via RUI does it display the proper serial number? If all the serialized boards do not match up serial numbers you will get an e-code guaranteed. That's how Canon protects their IP (one of the many ways)

Technician

Yeah I've added the proper licensed versions myself many times, and I wouldn't be party to any dodgy shenanigans as I am the solutions guy, who has to make everything work, and talk to Canon when it doesn't, I know know how stringent Canon are on their IP.

Looking in the RUI, it doesn't display a serial number where it should in Device > Device Information. The space is blank. (although I haven't been back to the site yet to try your suggestion in your earlier post)

Something seriously wonky with this unit.

Technician

I'm trying to get hold old the bloke who did it but not holding out much hope as he parted company with my company on less that friendly terms...

Thanks for your help anyway.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Serial number headache

Quote Originally Posted by Mambawan View Post

Looking in the RUI, it doesn't display a serial number where it should in Device > Device Information. The space is blank. (although I haven't been back to the site yet to try your suggestion in your earlier post)
    If CNT DSP is 1 it will hide the serial in the RUI as well.

_ 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mambawan View Post
    Yeah I've added the proper licensed versions myself many times, and I wouldn't be party to any dodgy shenanigans as I am the solutions guy, who has to make everything work, and talk to Canon when it doesn't, I know know how stringent Canon are on their IP.

Hi,

Maybe you could work at it from another angle?

Log on to the web site for licsence registration for Universal Send kit, then key the serial number of your machine to display what LMS number was generated. If it does not match with your hardcopy Certificate... well that bloke have found a way