Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

IR2200 tray 2 lift problems

I've got an IR2200 that seems to be overdriving. Basically it starts lifting as normal, reaches the top, then clicks back down and continues driving back up. It does that several times until the machine is finished it's power up sequence. When you try to print out of tray 1, tray 1 works wonderfully but tray 2 continues trying to lift. If tray 2 is not in the machine then it just clangs on the bottom of the machine.

I've looked through the manual and can't find any instructions for the timing of the cams and other gears in the lift assy. I'll also admit that I'm a bit of a novice on Canons. I've replaced the PCB thinking the sensor on the board was bad causing it to never see the flag. Nothing appears broken, although I'm about to go through it with the parts manual to verify that.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: IR2200 tray 2 lift problems

Broken sector gear. Also known as the biggest PITA to do on a low end imagerunner. What's happening is as the gear lifts and cycles it has a couple broken teeth that can never quite get the tray high enough.
    see that video it at least shows you what's going on and how to fix it. Not in english though sorry.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Well I'm glad I talked my service manager into letting me bring that machine into a shop and getting the customer a loaner. That one may drive me to drinking again. I'll check that gear and let you know if that is it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

The gear actually looks like it's in good shape. I'm not seeing any teeth missing. In this case are the teeth always missing or is there a chance of them being worn down?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

There are actually several things that can fail on those PF units:

1) The leaf spring that starts the rotation of the sector lift gear becomes weak and cracks (350k copies). (part # FB4-5349-000)
    2) The sector gear or lifter claw becomes stripped. (400k copies). Replace the sector gear (FB3-2856-000) and/or lifter claw (FB4-5350-000).
    3) The front right side cassette hook may have a loose set screw. Tighten the set screw.
    4) A new style lift plate is available. Replace the lift plate (FB3-2855-020).
    5) The tabs that hook the retaining spring for the upper vertical feed roller idlers break due to a manufacturing problem. Tabs 1 & 2 retain the front roller, tabs 3 & 4 retain the rear roller. Repair any broken tabs with a wire loop secured into the plastic. Or the iR2200 mods (FB3-2848-000) may work to repair this problem. Both fixes avoid replacing the feed unit assembly.
    6) The wire lever that raises the pickup tire becomes deformed and falls out. Remove the cassette above the stuck one. Raise the pickup tire manually to remove the cassette. Reform and reinstall the wire lever. Reattach the return spring.
    7) The grounding springs on the front of the feed unit are vibrating/howling. Lubricate the ground contacts on the front of the feed unit.

You've got more to look at.
    If you choose to disassemble this mechanical monster I suggest that you take lots of photos. It can be difficult to re-assemble.
    These are the instructions and drawings that I did for the iR330, and it is nearly identical. =^..^=
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks Blackcat!! I still haven't found the problem but I'm getting close. Your post should help.

Northernlife = I went ahead and replaced those two parts and things got better but now it won't release the lift plate. Which probably means I did something wrong.

(ps..sorry for taking so long to get back. We've been epic swamped).

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

PM me. I know someone that specializes in repairing these. Just send the unit to him with return shipping and its a good price!!! But if you like , good luck!