Technician

IRA c5030 needs frequent reboot

One of the Canon IRA c5030's we service has to be power cycled frequently because it will not print. Sometimes it will display a message to call the service rep. Error log sometimes shows E020-001x but not nearly enough log entries to coincide with the number of reboots.
    The machine has a new set of drums and print quality is great. It is currently using genuine Canon black toner but the colors are generic. (At my request all colors will be switched to genuine Canon toner within the next week). The only odd thing I've seen is a small irregular shaped dull patch on the ITB. It doesn't affect print quality but I wonder if it could be fooling the center patch sensor. I plan to swap the ITB with another machine on Monday. Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: IRA c5030 needs frequent reboot

logging any alarms? Does the NG in the system monitor print log jive with the error codes shown in the history in terms of time? UN49 may cause the issue but unless there's a chunk missing from the belt it shouldn't affect it too much as it just detects density. Using crap toner will cause an e020 on these units.

If it's not printing generally the machine will log something, something displayed on the UI. If you can get me some more info it would help us be better able to troubleshoot the issue.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    IRA c5030 needs frequent reboot

Quote Originally Posted by mikejose View Post
    One of the Canon IRA c5030's we service has to be power cycled frequently because it will not print. Sometimes it will display a message to call the service rep. Error log sometimes shows E020-001x but not nearly enough log entries to coincide with the number of reboots.
    The machine has a new set of drums and print quality is great. It is currently using genuine Canon black toner but the colors are generic. (At my request all colors will be switched to genuine Canon toner within the next week). The only odd thing I've seen is a small irregular shaped dull patch on the ITB. It doesn't affect print quality but I wonder if it could be fooling the center patch sensor. I plan to swap the ITB with another machine on Monday. Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    iR Advance executes certain items under Image Stabilization Control. Mainly, items that utilizes the Patch Sensors UN47 (Front), UN48 (Center), and UN49 (Rear).

Inspect>Replace Patch Sensor Unit/ Patch Sensor Unit =FM3-5944-010
    Initialization of patch sensor is necessary. COPIER>OPTION>IMG-MCON>P-ALPHA>Input Patch Sensor alpha value.

The shutter needs to open to allow the Patch Sensors to read the image patch on the ITB. The Shutters main purpose is to minimize dusting on the Patch Sensors.

The movement of the Shutter is controlled by SL1 ( Registration Shutter solenoid ) and can be activated via Parts Check in Service Mode.

Shutter >Could be sticking or binding

Note: The Shutter Linkage does not have a part number. You must order the Pattern Read Shutter Drive Assembly FM3-8902-000. See FIG. 321 of the Parts Catalog.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

Sorry it's taken me a while to update you on the problem with this IRA c5030. First, I have not yet changed the patch sensor assy and the machine seems to be settling down so I may not need to change it. All 6 machines are now using genuine Canon toner exclusively. In addition to increased service calls the generic toner created a lot more waste than the Canon toner (waste containers filled up much faster and toner cartridges seemed to run out faster), thereby offsetting any savings from using generic toner. The customer will be sticking with Canon genuine toner.

The manual says the P-LED-DA value is located at Copier>Display BUT it's buried a little deeper: COPIER>DISPLAY>DENS>LEVEL 2.
    Although the service manual says that the P-LED-DA value should be 3f or higher, I have found that all 6 of our c5030's show values ranging from 18 to 26 and they're running fine. So I'm wondering if the service manual is supposed to read LOWER than 3f, not higher.

Many thanks to all those who operate and contribute to this website!

Technician

Here is a photo of the brand of generic toner that has caused problems like ghosting, high waste container usage and E020 errors on our Canon c5030's. BadCanonToner.jpg