Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

IRC5185 toner/drum issue

Hi!

I have yet another problem. I bought irc5185i copier used with aprox. 275k impressions. Now after only 2500 bw duplex copies with 30% - 40% page coverage, toner is near empty (my estimations because cartridge is light, printer shows half) and i noticed issues with toner inside door (picture attached). Toner is everywhere. When i took toner out, toner was leaking on doors. Next i pulled out black drum and another huge spill like a waterfall happened. Where is the problem?

Also when i bought copier, toner waste bottle was completly empty but now is half or more full. Is this normal?

Thank you for your answers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sql37; 06-13-2014 at 08:52 PM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts ReproKev's Avatar

Re: IRC5185 toner/drum issue

It looks like the black drum may be leaking toner out of the end seals. They do that when they get old. Was the machine supposed to have new drums in it when you got it. If not, do you have any idea how old the black drum is?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

if the waste toner is purplish that's fine. It lays down patches on the belt every time the machine comes out of standby, powered on, before print jobs and at a set interval. Frankly, from a technician's opinion, you'd have been better off buying a used ir adv c5051 than a 5185 (which are notorious for being expensive to run)

Quote Originally Posted by ReproKev View Post
    It looks like the black drum may be leaking toner out of the end seals. They do that when they get old. Was the machine supposed to have new drums in it when you got it. If not, do you have any idea how old the black drum is?

Drum is old, but the guy that sold me copier has exchenged the green cylinder on it with new one.

Quote Originally Posted by northernlife View Post
    if the waste toner is purplish that's fine. It lays down patches on the belt every time the machine comes out of standby, powered on, before print jobs and at a set interval. Frankly, from a technician's opinion, you'd have been better off buying a used ir adv c5051 than a 5185 (which are notorious for being expensive to run)

Yes, but its strange to me that bottle is half full with just 2500 copies. In my previous job, we had Konica Minolta Bizhub and we changed waste bottle evey few months.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    IRC5185 toner/drum issue

Quote Originally Posted by sql37 View Post
    Yes, but its strange to me that bottle is half full with just 2500 copies. In my previous job, we had Konica Minolta Bizhub and we changed waste bottle evey few months.
    =========================
    NOTE----did u know the FIX UNIT COSTS <$ 800,1,000 to replace

a defective BLACK LASER or Lasers will cause the BK DRUM to dump out toner/ u can swap lasers to see if issue moves to other color to dump/
    One way to tell is > pull out ITB & SEE IF BLACK is dumping on ITB BELT
    Another> Run the machine and stop the copy process to see the image on the drum and check if image is weak on the drum.

Re-Built Drum Units also dump toner in this model/
    Third Party items are CRAP/
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Ok, drum replaced because it was leaking. Now this is ok.

I have another question. I'm looking to exchange this copier with ir5075N black-white since i don't really need color. I read the data sheet, and it says that drum last about 3 million pages. Is this true? And also how long does the fixing unit last? Any other problems with ir5075?

Thank you.