Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Canon iR-ADV7065 Blank Screen/No Boot

Hello to all, this is my first post to these forums. Go easy. I am a Canon tech from the Great White north up here in Canada.....

Got a problem with 7065 that wont boot and has a blank screen. A 7065 in the field was repaired by swapping Main controller 1 out of our showroom machine to repair the field machine. I am now repairing the showroom machine......

Current problem: Machine turns on with green power light and sounds like it is warming up (initial rotations) continues running for about 15 seconds then shuts down and reboots and does it all over again. All the while, blank display screen.

Our first step was to order a new main controller 1 from Canon and install in the showroom machine (since the showroom machine was working before the main controller was changed). Counter board, boot module and RAM were swapped onto new board, but problem still persists.

So Far I have done the following to try to resolve issue:

• Swapped Main controllers 1 and 2
    • Swapped RAM on Main controller 1
    • Swappped Hard drive
    • Control panel has been swapped to make sure screen is not dead.
    • Cannot re-install firware via USB while booting from 2 and 8

Also, machine will not boot into 2 and 8 for service mode, no error codes occur and cannot perform "box checker" mode.

I am totally lost on this one guys.....looking for any help

Does anyone have Canon USA e-support access and could browse the GRID section for me to see if anyone else has had this issue please? I had e-support access until about a month ago until my contact left the business and i can no longer look for myself.

Thanks everybody, any comments welcome.
    Last edited by freebyrd116; 07-21-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Canon iR-ADV7065 Balnk Screen/No Boot

sounds like you got a voltage issue but with the initial rotation that would indicated to me that you have at least 24V. If you have ram to swap I would try that too I had a 5051 give me the same issue and it was a dimm stick that was blown. You can take the ram out and put it into a regular pc and run memtest86 to see if it errors out.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by northernlife View Post
    sounds like you got a voltage issue but with the initial rotation that would indicated to me that you have at least 24V. If you have ram to swap I would try that too I had a 5051 give me the same issue and it was a dimm stick that was blown. You can take the ram out and put it into a regular pc and run memtest86 to see if it errors out.
    Thanks northernlife,

I have swapped RAM already...still no joy

I'm starting to think that the replacement main controller 1 that we purchased from Canon is the problem. It is a Hytec board. I just cant wrap my head around the idea that we would receive a board that exhibits the same issue that we had on the field machine. Stranger things have happened I guess. Might be time to Call and beg Canon Canada for a test board or something before we purchase a second new main controller.

I've got lots of 7055s to play with, but very few 7065s

oh nice, another canuck. Up in Kapuskasing, Ontario myself.

I'm guessing that you already have an open case with cci? Only voice lately that's familiar is Paul out of Calgary. If you are an authorized dealership you can request ISG sends a tech up to where you are to troubleshoot. Use words like "losing major contract" and "Client is ready to go to Xerox" and they'll be on site soon ;-)

Edit: That request would need to come from your management.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by northernlife View Post
    oh nice, another canuck. Up in Kapuskasing, Ontario myself.

I'm guessing that you already have an open case with cci? Only voice lately that's familiar is Paul out of Calgary. If you are an authorized dealership you can request ISG sends a tech up to where you are to troubleshoot. Use words like "losing major contract" and "Client is ready to go to Xerox" and they'll be on site soon ;-)

Edit: That request would need to come from your management.
    Ah Yes...spoke with Paul the other day....I guess nobody in Mississauga was answering the phone. Gonna create a case today and get one of the guys to come up with parts to help us out on this one I think. Can't just keep throwing money at this thing....

Canon has to support us. It's in our dealership agreements. As long as the dealership pays their bills and you have 2 tech's on staff whom are trained they have no choice. Can always get a hold of Colin C and I'm sure he would make things happen. All news faces to me in Mississauga, Kris is doing medical imaging now, Tony I can't find out what happened to him. Other than that we have to keep in mind that there's more Canon's on the isle of Manhattan than there are in all of Canada, thus the low amount of support staff on CCI's side. Hope you get it ironed out.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts vigour's Avatar

Had the same GREEN LED, BLANK DISPLAY, plus rotations.
    Main controller 1 was my fix.
    Did you order FM4-0745?
    Did you get the other weird problems with the original parts?
    Sounds like a defective controller.

Tony is still there
    Nxxxxx has been there longer than Tony
    Mxxx came from the other side, but he has way more experience than all the others
    Guys from Montreal also answer the phone

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by freebyrd116 View Post
    Thanks northernlife,

I have swapped RAM already...still no joy

I'm starting to think that the replacement main controller 1 that we purchased from Canon is the problem. It is a Hytec board. I just cant wrap my head around the idea that we would receive a board that exhibits the same issue that we had on the field machine. Stranger things have happened I guess. Might be time to Call and beg Canon Canada for a test board or something before we purchase a second new main controller.

I've got lots of 7055s to play with, but very few 7065s
    Hey freebird,
    Thought I would chime in, sounds like a spark chase to me. Ive always dealt with Nationwide @ NWRSINC.COM for boards as they are generally more reliable and often cheaper. Their tech support is excellent when it comes to spark chasing.

From my experiences with 7065's (I refurbish a lot of them) , I've had faulty main 1, memory dimm, main switch, laser interface pcb , main relay, dccon, dc con interface pcb, and laser, fuser connector all pull the 24v down causing blank screen. Also, note that the schematics in the manual are missing key connectiions.

Will machine boot and screen light up with fixing tray and all doors open?

1. when the original board was pulled and or replaced was the machine unplugged from the wall? if not your going to need your volt meter, remove all back panels and open the back up so you can see dc con, as you may have blown a pcb in the power chain. If it was, bad main 1, call hytech they should be willing to replace at no cost after a brief grilling/troubleshooting.

2) starting at main power supply and relay , with power on, check for 3,5,12,24 volts. In order to have 24v you must have lower voltages as these are signal voltages. Wires are orange, pink, red, blue, I can't remember order volt to color matches. White black is line voltage.

Time saver=call nationwide
    Some people may say I have a short temper, but I prefer to call it
    "A swift and assertive reaction to bullshit"

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Canon iR-ADV7065 Blank Screen/No Boot

Hey people. Sorry I didn't replay to this thread sooner ..... I ultimately found that the Hytec main controller 1 that we received from canon was faulty right from the start (very frustrating). You expect that these parts should work out of the box since it was certified repaired.

Ultimately we bought a new main controller 1 from canon (new stock), popped it in and all was well again.

I guess this proves that you should never over look the obvious.

Thanks to everyone who put their time and effort into responding to this thread. Sorry for my tardy reply.