Technician

Scan to email via gmail on IRC 4080I

Hi All,

I really need some help with this issue. I am trying to configure scan to email by using gmail account on our machine IRC 4580i. I am using below settings.

Smtp server : smtp.gmail.com
    EMail address: myname@gmail.com
    Allow ssl (smtp send): ON
    Use smtp authentication: ON
    User: myname@gmail.com
    Password: mypassword
    Allow ssl (smtp recieve): ON

I have already changed port to 587 in admin mode level 2.
    please guide me if I need any more settings so scan to email can work.

Should I need DNS server for this or I can use gmail account.

thanks

Technician

Re: Scan to email via gmail on IRC 4080I

Hi.
    Try setting smtptx port to 465. I have set up many machines using gmail and it will work along with your settings you have shown.
    Also make sure you are getting suucessful comms out of your building by turning on E-RDS and doing a COM-TEST (copier- function-install). If that comes back as a fail reboot the machine with DHCP turned on, then turn it off and re-input you original ip address and again reboot. by doing this it will pick up DNS server details which it will need. Dont give up... this will work, message me if you get stuck.

Set Allow ssl (smtp recieve): OFF, Allow SSL (SMTP send) ON

Technician

No solution ... I'll really appreciate if some one can post screen shots of scan to email via gmail account and also dns settings... becuase we dont have any server or exchange in our office and I am trying to configure scan to email via gmail account.

I am tired and fed up now ....

Thanks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I can't show you screeners due to confidentiality issues but this is the same setup that works all the time for me.

This solution only supports Canon devices equipped with network port number change, SMTP Authentication and Allow SSL SMTP Send.

By default, AT&T Yahoo and Gmail service providers require email clients (for example Outlook Express) to authenticate via SMTP port 465 with secure communication (SSL).

The issue is when the exact same configuration information is transferred from email clients to Canon devices, customers cannot send email. The result is error code #839. The reason for this is Canon devices do not work when port 465 is used for SMTP transmission. Port 587 has to be configured on the machine for send via e-mail to work.

To resolve the issue, SMTPTXPN option has to be changed in Service Mode level 2 to 587 and Canon devices must be configured to authenticate via SMTP with SSL enabled.
    - Access Service Mode level 1 by pressing Additional Functions, - 2 and 8
    - Access Service Mode Level 2 by pressing Additional Functions - Additional Functions - 2.
    - Once you are in Service Mode level 2, select Copier > Option > Body > SMTPTXPN, enter 587
    - Select OK and recycle the machine to apply the change.

After machine recycle, select Additional Functions > System Settings > Network Settings > Email/I-Fax.
    - Depending on which service providers you have, enter smtp.att.yahoo.com or smtp.gmail.com for SMTP server
    - Enter a valid user e-mail account for E-mail Address.
    - Select Authent./Encryption > SMTP Authentication (SMTP AUTH) - On
    - Set Allow SSL (SMTP Send) On.
    - Select OK to apply the changes.
    - Access Network Settings and make sure IP address, Gateway, DNS settings are correctly entered. (These information can be obtained by using a customer's networked PC nearby, access the command line, enter ipconfig /all.)
    - Restart the Canon device and start sending e-mail once it is Idle.

DNS you can use whatever you want. As long as it can resolve gmail.com
    opendns: 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220
    google dns 8.8.8.8

If this doesn't work I'll need a scan of your network config

How is the copier set up to print? You need a IP address and a Default Gateway (this your link to the outside world).

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Scan to email via gmail on IRC 4080I

<strong>
    <strong>

Sending mail from a printer, scanner or app

You can set up your on-premises multifunction printer, scanner, fax, or application to send email through Google Apps. The three available options are: SMTP relay service, Gmail SMTP server and Restricted Gmail SMTP server.
    For details about configuring your device or application to send SMTP messages, refer to its documentation. Google Support cannot assist with the configuration settings.

1. SMTP relay service - used to send mail from your organization by authenticating with the IP address(s). You can send messages to anyone inside or outside of your domain.
    2. Gmail SMTP server - requires authentication with your Gmail/Google Apps account and password. Messages can be sent to anyone inside or outside of your domain.
    3. Restricted Gmail SMTP server - does not require authentication, and you will be restricted to send messages to Gmail or Google Apps users only.

The table below will help you decide which one of these options will best meet your needs:
    Option Google Apps SMTP relay (recommended) Gmail SMTP server Restricted Gmail SMTP server
    FQDN of SMTP Service smtp-relay.gmail.com smtp.gmail.com aspmx.l.google.com
    Configuration requirements Port 25, 465, or 587
    TLS optional.
    One or more static IP addresses are required.
    Port 465 (SSL required)
    Port 587 (TLS required)
    Dynamic IPs allowed
    Port 25
    TLS not required
    Dynamic IPs allowed
    Mail can only be sent to Gmail or Google Apps users
    Requires authentication IP address provides authentication. Your full Gmail or Google Apps email address required for authentication No.
    Bypasses anti-spam No. Suspicious emails may be filtered. No. Suspicious emails may be filtered. No. Suspicious emails may be filtered.
    Sending Limits Limits for registered Google Apps users.
    A registered user cannot relay messages to more than 2,000 recipients per day.
    For full SMTP relay limits please see Sending limits for the SMTP relay service.
    2000 Messages per day. See Sending limits for more detailed information. Per user receiving limits will apply.
    You can use the SMTP relay service in the Google Admin console to relay mail from your device or application. This is possible once you add your network IP range to the SMTP relay service. You will need to configure your device to connect to smtp-relay.gmail.com on ports 25 or 465, 587. For more details about using this setting, see SMTP relay service setting.
    Gmail SMTP Server could also be used to relay messages from your device or application. You can connect to Gmail mail servers using SMTP, SSL/TLS. If you connect using SMTP, you can only send mail to Gmail or Google Apps users; if you connect using SSL/TLS, you can send mail to anyone.
    If your device or application supports SSL - connect to smtp.gmail.com on port 465.
    To connect with SSL, you need to provide a Google username and password for authentication. Ensure that the username you use has cleared the CAPTCHA word verification test that appears when the user first logs in. We also recommend ensuring that the account has a secure password.
    If your device or application does not support SSL - connect to aspmx.l.google.com on port 25.
    You must configure an SPF record for your domain with the IP address of the device or application to ensure that recipients do not reject mail sent from it. You must also add this IP address to the Email Whitelist box in your Google Admin console. For example, if your sending device sends from 123.45.67.89, add that address to your SPF record without removing the Google Apps mail servers from the record: v=spf1 ip4:123.45.67.89 include:_spf.google.com ~all
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**