Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Question Need to Source Parts and Firmware for imageRUNNER Advance C5045

I'm a longtime lover of Canon products. At my old firm I helped maintain our Canon imageRUNNER Advance machine. I'm a solo attorney now (but also a computer geek and engineer).

I got a deal on a used Canon imageRUNNER Advance C5045. Unfortunately, its prior owner unceremoniously removed the hard drive and in the process also removed the hard drive bracket (part #FC8-5201), the grounding tab, and the hard drive caddy (the part that connects the hard drive to the bracket).

I've been able to source the bracket, but can't find a part number in the service manual for the other two parts or even a part number! Does anybody have an idea beyond just leaving the hard drive to kind of dangle inside for this?

Also, I've got the SST v.4.63E, however I can't find a way to get the firmware for this unit. The local dealers only answer is to buy the entire hard drive upgrade replacement kit, which is insanely expensive for a small laptop hard drive and a piece of stamped metal bracket. I've offered to pay them to come just do the firmware part, but they (a) refuse unless I buy the whole shebang and (b) only do service calls when I'm at my other job and not at my home office.

Does anybody have an idea how to overcome these problems?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need to Source Parts and Firmware for imageRUNNER Advance C5045

Re: Need to Source Parts and Firmware for imageRUNNER Advance C5045

Quote Originally Posted by hydrosam View Post
    I'm a longtime lover of Canon products. At my old firm I helped maintain our Canon imageRUNNER Advance machine. I'm a solo attorney now (but also a computer geek and engineer).

I got a deal on a used Canon imageRUNNER Advance C5045. Unfortunately, its prior owner unceremoniously removed the hard drive and in the process also removed the hard drive bracket (part #FC8-5201), the grounding tab, and the hard drive caddy (the part that connects the hard drive to the bracket).

I've been able to source the bracket, but can't find a part number in the service manual for the other two parts or even a part number! Does anybody have an idea beyond just leaving the hard drive to kind of dangle inside for this?

Also, I've got the SST v.4.63E, however I can't find a way to get the firmware for this unit. The local dealers only answer is to buy the entire hard drive upgrade replacement kit, which is insanely expensive for a small laptop hard drive and a piece of stamped metal bracket. I've offered to pay them to come just do the firmware part, but they (a) refuse unless I buy the whole shebang and (b) only do service calls when I'm at my other job and not at my home office.

Does anybody have an idea how to overcome these problems?
    ================================================== ============================
    imageRUNNER ADVANCE 5030/5035/5045/5051

so u sourced part below
    & now need / GROUND TAB & HDD Caddy
    what about the Canon OEM HDD ?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

(#8 FM3-6023-000 = HARD DISK DRIVE MOUNT ASS'Y)

HDD.JPG
    ON PIC
    # 9/ FM4-0873-000 = HARD DISK DRIVE
    #15/ KE8-1134-030 = GASKET, EMI
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # A/ Hard Drive Mounting Plate

FC8-5201-000 =PLATE, HARD DISK DRIVE.

HDD PLATE.JPG
    Last edited by teckat; 08-23-2014 at 09:06 PM.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

That's correct. I need the part with the black rubber wheels on it indicated by the red arrow in the picture.

My understanding from a Canon tech is that you don't need a "special" OEM hard drive, so I have a hard drive which will work, provided I can get the firmware and parts.

That's correct. I need the part with the black rubber wheels on it indicated by the red arrow in the picture.

My understanding from a Canon tech is that you don't need a "special" OEM hard drive, so I have a hard drive which will work, provided I can get the firmware and parts.
    -----------------------
    PLATE & CAGE may be one part ???//
    did u receive plate order ??

Canon tech is a jerk/ u need to FORMAT the HDD in Printer using SST & models format file>if printer does not recognize HDD during format> u receive a not found message----
    Last edited by teckat; 08-23-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Technician

Ah, ok. Well right now when I boot I get the hard drive not found. If I boot into Safe Mode, I get a Download Mode Version 00.47 message on screen but the SST never sees the C5045 on my computer. I'm a little confused which USB port to attach to, there's a USB-B style port on the rear left, a USB-A port up at the control panel, and a USB-A port by the ethernet port. I'm trying the USB-B port.

Ah, ok. Well right now when I boot I get the hard drive not found. If I boot into Safe Mode, I get a Download Mode Version 00.47 message on screen but the SST never sees the C5045 on my computer. I'm a little confused which USB port to attach to, there's a USB-B style port on the rear left, a USB-A port up at the control panel, and a USB-A port by the ethernet port. I'm trying the USB-B port.
    ----------------------------------

SST provides the ability to properly format new hard drives or re-format corrupted hard drives in Canon Image RUNNERs.
    Sometimes you will try to format a drive and will receive a message advising you that the unit has an invalid disk installed. This message indicates that the Image RUNNER has a non-standard (Read: Non-Canon) HDD installed and the SST does not recognize it.

When you load the firmware for a Canon device into the SST part of the information provided is a list of valid hard drive designations for the model. This list of HDD's not only specifies the name of each valid drive type but also the hardware specifications such as number of read/write heads, platters, surfaces, segment sizes and other technical data describing the features and capacity of the HDD to the SST.
    Canon updates these lists when they use different forms of drives in the different models of copiers and when you install a more recent version of the firmware for a model into your SSTyou are also updating this list of HDD's.

You can not read the list of additional supported HDD's on this series because the HDFormat.itf file is Encrypted.
    Canon now Encrypts these files on newer models (SECURITY & COST ISSUES)

================================================== ========
    Believe u will need the Canon OEM HDD

+ there is no firmware on HDD/ & it has not been formated

u need to have the C5045 SERIES Firmware registered in SST >
    then u have to select C5045 Format File>
    if this format file does not recognize HDD u will receive a NOT FOUND message

Technician

So it sounds like I need to buy the OEM hard drive kit then use SST and the firmware to get the rest of it working.

Can anyone source the OEM hard drive kit here?
    Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    ----------------------------------

SST provides the ability to properly format new hard drives or re-format corrupted hard drives in Canon Image RUNNERs.
    Sometimes you will try to format a drive and will receive a message advising you that the unit has an invalid disk installed. This message indicates that the Image RUNNER has a non-standard (Read: Non-Canon) HDD installed and the SST does not recognize it.

When you load the firmware for a Canon device into the SST part of the information provided is a list of valid hard drive designations for the model. This list of HDD's not only specifies the name of each valid drive type but also the hardware specifications such as number of read/write heads, platters, surfaces, segment sizes and other technical data describing the features and capacity of the HDD to the SST.
    Canon updates these lists when they use different forms of drives in the different models of copiers and when you install a more recent version of the firmware for a model into your SSTyou are also updating this list of HDD's.

You can not read the list of additional supported HDD's on this series because the HDFormat.itf file is Encrypted.
    Canon now Encrypts these files on newer models (SECURITY & COST ISSUES)

================================================== ========
    Believe u will need the Canon OEM HDD

+ there is no firmware on HDD/ & it has not been formated

u need to have the C5045 SERIES Firmware registered in SST >
    then u have to select C5045 Format File>
    if this format file does not recognize HDD u will receive a NOT FOUND message

imageRUNNER ADVANCE C7065 / C7055 / C9075 PRO / C9065 PRO / C5051 / C5045 / C5035 / C5030
    Hard Drive Storage Options For imageRUNNER ADVANCE

There are currently 3 Hard Drive Storage Options for the imageRUNNER ADVANCE:

1. Encrypted and non-Encrypted Mirroring Kit for security and reliability with minimal downtime for the imageRUNNER ADVANCE Series.

imageRUNNER ADVANCE C5051/C5045/C5035/C5030 - HDD Mirroring feature requires two hard drives, either one additional 2.5inch/80GB HDD-C1 with standard 80GB HDD or two 2.5 inch/250GB HDD-D1 replacing standard 80GB HDD.

Item Code 3718B002AA HDD Data Encryption and Mirroring Kit-C1

imageRUNNER ADVANCE C7065/C7055/C9075 PRO/C9065 PRO - HDD Mirroring feature requires two hard drives, either one additional 3.5inch/80GB HDD-A1 with standard 80GB HDD or two 3.5 inch/1TB HDD-B1 replacing standard 80GB HDD.

Item Code 3718B002AA HDD Data Encryption and Mirroring Kit-C1

2. Two Removable HDD kits for the imageRUNNER ADVANCE Series which consists of a mechanical case which holds 2 hard drives that are removable for secure data storage on or off site.

imageRUNNER ADVANCE C5051/C5045/C5035/C5030
    Item Code 3715B001AA Removable HDD Kit-AC1

imageRUNNER ADVANCE C7065/C7055/C9075 PRO/C9065 PRO
    Item Code TBD Removable HDD Kit-AB1

3. Optional HDD configuration that consists of either an 80GB or 250GB hard drive for the imageRUNNER ADVANCE C5051/C5045/C5035/C5030 model AND 80GB or 1TB hard drive for C7065/C7055/C9075 PRO/C9065 PRO models.

imageRUNNER ADVANCE C5051/C5045/C5035/C5030
    Item Code 3713B001BA 2.5inch/80GB HDD-C1
    Item Code 3714B001AA 2.5inch/250GB HDD-D1

imageRUNNER ADVANCE C7065/C7055/C9075 PRO/C9065 PRO
    Item Code TBD 3.5inch/80GB HDD-A1 (80 GB HDD for Mirroring functionality only, cannot be used to increase storage.)
    Item Code TBD 3.5inch/1TB HDD-B1

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts vigour's Avatar

Unfortunately, its prior owner unceremoniously removed the hard drive

?
    drive

Senior Tech 250+ Posts spectraindo's Avatar

This is a link where you can download Firmware for iRAC50xx series :

Index of /CANON/COULEUR

You do not have to use SST with these machines, they accept Flashdrives plug into the machines USB-A port near the RJ45 port.
    Refer to the Service Manual how to make the Flashdrive.
    Just try the 80GB drive for the HDD if you have one, nothing to lose.