Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need to Source Parts and Firmware for imageRUNNER Advance C5045

Re: Need to Source Parts and Firmware for imageRUNNER Advance C5045

Quote Originally Posted by spectraindo View Post
    This is a link where you can download Firmware for iRAC50xx series :

Index of /CANON/COULEUR

You do not have to use SST with these machines, they accept Flashdrives plug into the machines USB-A port near the RJ45 port.
    Refer to the Service Manual how to make the Flashdrive.
    Just try the 80GB drive for the HDD if you have one, nothing to lose.

U think this model won't bounce (not found) a non-OEM HDD during format ??

FIRMWARE
    Prepare: a USB memory storage device, which the system software for this machine is stored.
    Procedure:
    1) If a cross cable is connected to this machine, remove the cross cable.
    2) Connect the USB memory storage device to the USB port.
    USB.JPG
    3) Switch to the download mode to use.
    • In the case of normal mode (Recommended)
    Select the following in Service Mode: COPIER > FUNCTION > SYSTEM > DOWNLOAD;
    and then press [OK].
    • In the case of safe mode (This mode should not be used as general rule. To be used only when normal startup fails, such as a system error, etc.)
    While pressing 2 + 8 keys at the same time, turn ON the Main Power Switch.
    Once this machine recognizes the USB memory storage device, the following menu is displayed on the Control Panel.
    [[[[[ download Menu (USB) ]]]]]]]]]]]
    -------------------------------------
    Press the key on the Control Panel to select/execute the functions.

[1]: Upgrade (Auto)=To download/write the system software (automatic)
    [2]: Upgrade (w Confirmation)=To download the system software (confirmation)
    [3]: Upgrade (Overwrite all)=To download the system software (overwriting)
    [4]: Format HDD=To format the HDD/BOOTDEV partition
    [5]: Backup=Collection of debug Log or Service Print(Because You are for R&D review, do not use it other than the following.)
    [7]: Clear downloaded files=To clear the system software immediately after downloading (before writing)
    [8]: Download Menu 2=To move to Download Menu 2
    [9]: Other Menu=Others (e.g.: version information)
    [Reset]: Shutdown=To execute shutdown sequence

NOTE:
    The following download method is recommended to execute normal download of the system software (any download work other than downloading after replacing/formatting the HDD):
    Download mode --- Normal mode
    Download menu --- [1]: Upgrade (Auto)

CAUTION: Prohibition to turn OFF the power during downloading/writing

Do not turn OFF the power during downloading or writing of the system software;
    otherwise, this machine may not be started even if the power is turned ON.
    If the machine fails to be started even if the power is turned ON, start the machine in safe mode (pressing 2 + 8 keys).
    When the machine can be started in safe mode, be sure to download the system software once again.
    If the machine fails to be started, replace the HDD and then download the system software.

CAUTION:
    Note when the power is turned OFF
    Be sure to execute shutdown sequence to quit download mode.
    Pressing the [Reset] key and then the [0] key on the menu screen executes the shutdown sequence.
    Once the message on the touch panel disappears, turn OFF the Main Power Switch.
    Formatting HDD
    ●●HDD Format Overview
    The following 2 types of formatting methods are available with this machine:
    • ALL: To initialize the entire HDD
    • In the case of installing the HDD provided as a service part (a new HDD).
    • In the case of cleaning the entire software and data in the HDD to re-install the system software.
    All the user data and MEAP application in the HDD is deleted when executing Format ALL with the machine in use; therefore, be sure to obtain agreement from the user to execute.

Format ALL.
    • BOOTDEV: to format the system software storage area on HDD.
    • In the case of normal upgrading by cleaning the storage area of the system software
    • User data will not be deleted.
    To re-install the system software, HDD formatting is not required.
    After formatting, this machine cannot be started unless the system software is downloaded.
    When Format ALL is executed, initialization process is reflected to the HDD so that this machine is automatically restarted to automatically enter download mode. In the case of formatting BOOTDEV, the machine is not automatically restarted, but the system software can be downloaded.
    After formatting is executed, be sure to download the system software by “[1]: Upgrade
    (AUTO)” in main menu.

Format HDD
    This mode executes formatting of BOOTDEV partition or the entire HDD.
    Operation procedure
    1) Enter download mode.
    2) Connect the USB memory storage device to the USB port.
    3) Press the key on the Control Panel.
    [4] -> [0]: To execute formating /Any key other than [0] key: To return to the menu screen.
    [[[[[ download Menu (USB) ]]]]]]]]]]]
    -------------------------------------
    [1]: Upgrade (Auto)
    [2]: Upgrade (w Confirmation)
    [3]: Upgrade (Overwrite all)
    [4]: Format HDD
    [5]: Backup
    [7]: Clear downloaded files
    [8]: download Menu 2
    [9]: Other Menu
    /[4] has been selected. Execute?/
    - (OK):0 / (CANCEL):Any other keys -
    4) Press the key on the Control Panel.
    [1] -> [0]: To execute formatting BOOTDEV/Any key other than [0]: To return to the menu screen.
    [2] -> [0]: To execute formatting the entire HDD/Any key other than [0]: To return to the menu screen.
    [C]: To return to the menu screen.
    Once downloading is complete, a message is displayed to encourage pressing the “Reset” key.
    5) Press any key to return to the menu screen.
    6) Download the system software.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Depending on the manufacturer or the model, this machine may not recognize the USB memory storage device.
    This machine retries the detection of a USB memory storage device for up to 60 seconds after power-ON. The above menu is not displayed if the recognition of a USB memory storage device is failed within the time period.
    In such a case, use another USB memory storage device.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

Thanks to everyone for their excellent advice - I think my confusion about which USB port to use was because I had Rev0 of the Service Manual, I've since gotten Rev12 which is much clearer on how to do the firmware installation.

The issue I'm running into now is that the SST version that I have seems to have an outdated VerFilter.mtb and FirmID.mtb files. The result is that even with the firmware that spectraindo has available, the SST was able to register the firmware but was unable to put the firmware onto the USB drive.

I was able to do some investigation and manually create the VerFilter.mtb and FirmID.mtb entries for the iAC5051 firmware and the iACXXXX firmware (which got me the HDFormat firmware successfully on the machine and formatted the HDD successfully). However the iAC5051_V2 firmware has proven more difficult, which is a problem since that's the System, LANG, and RUI firmware (I was using the 7501 version firmware).

My next attempt was to manually copy the firmware for System, LANG, and RUI to the USB drive to the USB drive using the same pattern that SST used when it copied the firmware. That was successful in loading the firmware onto the machine!

However, when the machine booted, it gets stuck at the very end of the boot screen with Canon Image Runner logo on the screen, the little slider that goes across the bottom made it all the way to the far right, but then it gets stuck there and won't move forward anymore.

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this issue? When I try to do a safe boot using the 2 and 8 buttons, all it does is take me back to the Download screen rather than bringing up the service screens.

Later today I'll post the entries I made to VerFilter.mtb and FirmID.mtb that got me as far as I managed to get last night so that other users can benefit from my trial and error

Technician

Thanks to the excellent advise and firmware posting from this thread.

My latest challenge is that the FirmID.mtb and VerFilter.mtb files do not have the settings for the iA5051 firmware. I was able to manually create entries to get the firmware that goes into the iA5051 folder to work - that got the machine to successfully format the HDD. Then I manually loaded the firmware from the iA5051_V2 folder to the USB key. That was successful in as much as the machine successfully loaded that firmware onto the HDD. However, when I tried loading version 7501 of the System, LANG, and RUI firmware, it all loaded and installed properly, but the boot screen gets stuck when the indicator finishes moving all the way to the right. The machine clearly boots now - opening and closing doors results in the expected self-check functions running, but it never finishes the boot.

There are a lot of other parts of the firmware, should I load them all or just selectively load one more?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts spectraindo's Avatar

You're welcome !

Canon345

I would load everything in.

Yes I would load all files in the folder, let the machine decide which files are needed.

Yes I would load all files in the folder, let the machine decide which files are needed.
    -----------------------------

in USA
    the separate "USB Firmware" eliminates all unnecessary non-English Language & RUI files/ results in a 40% smaller storage & download/
    > all u need to do is download to default Canon directory> then drag Series Folder & Format files into your flash drive

u can eliminate them on the Regular "SST Firmware" during the registration selection in SST

Mr. Teckat ,although we sell hundreds of Canon Copiers, we in Asia do not have access to Canon Support Site for Firmware.
    So that is why we joined Copytechnet to find usefull informations regarding Canon Copiers.
    There is only Firmware for Cameras, non for Copiers.

Mr. Teckat ,although we sell hundreds of Canon Copiers, we in Asia do not have access to Canon Support Site for Firmware.
    So that is why we joined Copytechnet to find usefull informations regarding Canon Copiers.
    There is only Firmware for Cameras, non for Copiers.
    --------------------------------------------------

Canon Authorized Service Dealers with/that employ Canon Trained Techs don't have privy to a Canon Support Site

slinkygn

Sorry for the necropost, but the firmware link is down -- anybody know of another place they can be found? (Bonus points if it also has the enormous stack of current ImagePASS-B1 patches; we probably actually need that even more...)