Independent Service Tech 100+ Posts
    Canon IR C3220 - only green power light ON, NO control panel operation as if off

Canon IR C3220 - only green power light ON, NO control panel operation as if off

Can't Print or Copy. This machine sounds like it warms up and is ready but there are no lights on except the green power light. Again, it does not print or copy and the print button on the copier does not go green (its off). If you raise the adf, the scan lamp lights for moment like normal.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Canon IR C3220 - only green power light ON, NO control panel operation as if off

Remove memory & clean ends_reseat.
    Remove sub PCB,s on main controller_Clean ends_reseat them

A bad fuse PCB can also cause issue\board is hard to test fuses- can read good_ but supply voltage thru fuse can be dropping off.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Canon IR C3220 - only green power light ON, NO control panel operation as if off

Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    Remove memory & clean ends_reseat.
    Remove sub PCB,s on main controller_Clean ends_reseat them

A bad fuse PCB can also cause issue\board is hard to test fuses- can read good_ but supply voltage thru fuse can be dropping off.
    I had cold solder joints on the connector board right in the center of the back of machine when rear cover taken off.

Board cleaning & re-position procedure alleviates many weird issues in these color products

pdf does not list iRC3200 series but have used on this series with success
    Attached Files Attached Files

Board cleaning & re-position procedure alleviates many weird issues in these color products

pdf does not list iRC3200 series but have used on this series with success

Hi Tekcat,

Thanks for your previous help - C3220, the wierd pattern due to the fault grounding. I donated the machine to the church I attend.

However, it started to generate more problems. It was working fine after moving.
    Last weekend, the LCD screen (control panel) went blank with green power LED and back light lit.
    I restarted the machine using the power switch on the side and worked fine for a day - printed around 400 11X17 papers.
    Next morning, it happened again - I had a blank screen with backlight on. I restarted the machine. It shows "please wait..." and went blank in about 10 seconds with progress bar at around 50%.
    That evening, I opened the back panel and cleaned all the sub-boards, memories, hard disk connectors and boot rom. It was working fine for days.
    And today, I have black screen with no back light. Green power LED is on and it starts the machanical initialization sequence.

I asked one of my friends (electrician) to perform the voltage test tomorrow on the fuse board and the connectors.
    It seems the low voltage PSU (FG6-9681-100) is causing the problem. However, I suppose you have better insight on this problem.
    Please let me know what to check & which one should be replaced - or it's time to just call it dead.

* LED 1001 (orange), 1002 & 1003 (red) are all on. No green or orange light on the green start button. Error indicator is off.
    ** There was an old commercial cooler in the same room (same circult breaker) and directly plugged into wall outlet without surge protector - my friend told me this could damage PSU.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for your reply!
    Last edited by rmwang; 11-02-2014 at 05:50 AM.

Don't wast time checking Fuse pcb.\ reason is a fuse can check good for continuity > but have low voltage pass, (3v, when it actually should have 5v) this applies to all fuses on pcb. Fuse pcb is hard to check (bad location, & u need to check fuses under power up)
    Fuse pcb is cheap to replace.

Power supply is another issue,> poor DC can cause issue supply to Fuse pcb.
    I would lean to memory issue on one or both cards, or your HDD is headed to the graveyard.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mramlawi's Avatar

always this happen with me i changed the power supply Board and it works fine
    Distinguished road makes you jewel in rough

**Ensure that the voltage between the neutral and ground poles is 1/2 a volt or less. If the voltage is higher than 1/2 a volt, an electrician needs to look at and correct the outlet.

**There are many reasons the LCD screen on the C3220 is blank, but this scenario gives a hint.
    The Main Controller PCB has an LED101, which is ON during normal operation.
    When you experience a blank LCD screen, inspect the Main Controller PCB LED101, if the LED is OFF; replace the SRAM PCB (FG3-3669-000) which is mounted on the Sub Main Controller PCB.

**There could be a problem with the memory, a blown fuse on the Fuse PCB, a defective control panel, boot rom, memory, etc

**Re-seat the memory DIMMs, the boot ROM, the control panel connectors.
    and the Option Boards (Network/Resolution/Open interface). If the problem still exists replace the Power Distribution PCB. (FG6-9676-000

**Check/or Replace Fuse PCB. The fuse for the voltage for the control panel could act like a resistor. And drop the voltage from 3.3 vdc to 1.2 vdc.

**You turn the machine on and there is no display but the green light comes ON.After 30 seconds or so, the green power light goes OFF.

**The unique difference with this situation and other blank display issues is that the green power light turns OFF after 30 seconds (Do not overlook this).
    First turn the machine OFF, unplug the hard drive from the system and turn the machine back ON.
    See if the splash screen displays on the control panel, as this will confirm a bad hard drive. It is possible that a bad hard drive could short out the system and cause this symptom.
    Therefore you must replace the hard drive.

**NOTE:
    This theory of a bad hard drive shorting out a system occurs also on a regular computer where no power is present. You unplug the hard drive and the machine comes back to life.

**When the main controller fan was unplugged the display would come up and the machine would then give an E code.

**Check the connection between the Sub-Main Controller (J1303) and the Main Controller (J1209) to see if they are seated correctly.
    When installing the Sub-Main Controller press the connectors together, and then install the standoff screws

**Ensure that the voltage between the neutral and ground poles is 1/2 a volt or less. If the voltage is higher than 1/2 a volt, an electrician needs to look at and correct the outlet.

**There are many reasons the LCD screen on the C3220 is blank, but this scenario gives a hint.
    The Main Controller PCB has an LED101, which is ON during normal operation.
    When you experience a blank LCD screen, inspect the Main Controller PCB LED101, if the LED is OFF; replace the SRAM PCB (FG3-3669-000) which is mounted on the Sub Main Controller PCB.

**There could be a problem with the memory, a blown fuse on the Fuse PCB, a defective control panel, boot rom, memory, etc

**Re-seat the memory DIMMs, the boot ROM, the control panel connectors.
    and the Option Boards (Network/Resolution/Open interface). If the problem still exists replace the Power Distribution PCB. (FG6-9676-000

**Check/or Replace Fuse PCB. The fuse for the voltage for the control panel could act like a resistor. And drop the voltage from 3.3 vdc to 1.2 vdc.

**You turn the machine on and there is no display but the green light comes ON.After 30 seconds or so, the green power light goes OFF.

**The unique difference with this situation and other blank display issues is that the green power light turns OFF after 30 seconds (Do not overlook this).
    First turn the machine OFF, unplug the hard drive from the system and turn the machine back ON.
    See if the splash screen displays on the control panel, as this will confirm a bad hard drive. It is possible that a bad hard drive could short out the system and cause this symptom.
    Therefore you must replace the hard drive.

**NOTE:
    This theory of a bad hard drive shorting out a system occurs also on a regular computer where no power is present. You unplug the hard drive and the machine comes back to life.

**When the main controller fan was unplugged the display would come up and the machine would then give an E code.

**Check the connection between the Sub-Main Controller (J1303) and the Main Controller (J1209) to see if they are seated correctly.
    When installing the Sub-Main Controller press the connectors together, and then install the standoff screws

My friend and I just finished checking voltages, and the PSU seems working fine.
    Pink: 3.4V Brown: 5.2V Blue: 11.9V Red: 23.9V Grey: 0.013V
    There actually was not so much dropping before and after the fuse board. I reseated the RAM card once again before I close the back panel and wala! screen came back again.
    Then, we came back to the wall outlet and check the ground-neutral voltage. It reads 0.5V when cooler is idle and spikes up to 2.8~3.4V when cooler starts running and stays at around 0.8~0.9V while motor is running. Definitely not a good environment for a copier. My friend is brining a special device to resolve this issue. We decided not to turn it on until the power outlet gets prepared.

Thanks again for your help! I almost ordered a PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by rmwang View Post
    My friend and I just finished checking voltages, and the PSU seems working fine.
    Pink: 3.4V Brown: 5.2V Blue: 11.9V Red: 23.9V Grey: 0.013V
    There actually was not so much dropping before and after the fuse board. I reseated the RAM card once again before I close the back panel and wala! screen came back again.
    Then, we came back to the wall outlet and check the ground-neutral voltage. It reads 0.5V when cooler is idle and spikes up to 2.8~3.4V when cooler starts running and stays at around 0.8~0.9V while motor is running. Definitely not a good environment for a copier. My friend is brining a special device to resolve this issue. We decided not to turn it on until the power outlet gets prepared.

Thanks again for your help! I almost ordered a PSU.

u have poor floating ground/

outlets for large printers should be on a dedicated line (no sharing)

and worst is to have something that cycles up and down ( as in a another device with a motor)