Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Canon imagerunner 2018i - Connect to iMac.... Help

Hi, I apologize if this is question is too simple or broad for this forum. I am usually pretty tech savvy but I feel like I am in over my head and getting very frustrated. I have a Canon ir2018i copier in my studio that I am trying to hook up and I am having no luck. I set up it previously a long time ago, but I recently switched studios and computers and now I am going crazy.

I am running an iMac with OSX 10.9.4
    I have a airport wireless router but I am fine with connecting straight from the computer to the printer with an ethernet cable. Whatever is easiest.
    I have the drivers installed on my computer already.

I know I have to assign a IP address to the copier in the network settings on the Canon. I don’t know what number to use. I have tried a few different ones but not sure if there is somewhere I should be looking on my iMac. Do I have to match the settings that are listed in Settings/Network/Ethernet on my iMac? (same for the subnet mask?)

I think I know the correct way to set it up through the Printers/Scanners setting on my computer, I just feel like I don’t know what setting to use as far as the correct ip address, or if i need a MAC address, etc.

There is also a chance i changed some weird setting on the Canon as I have been trying to figure things out. Is there a way to reset to factory settings to start from a clean slate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Eric

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Canon imagerunner 2018i - Connect to iMac.... Help

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Network.
    2. Select the network connection service from the list, then click Advanced.
    3. Click TCP/IP, then use the Configure IPv4 or Configure IPv6 pop-up menu to make the adjustments required by your ISP or network administrator.
    4. If your ISP or network administrator requires it and you configure IPv4 or IPv6 using DHCP, enter the DHCP Client ID.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

Hi Teckat,

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I know where to input the numbers (ip address, subnet mask, gateway address etc) on both my computer and the copier. I just don't know what numbers and parameters to use or how to figure that out. I don't have a network administrator or anything like that. It is just me in my studio.
    Right now in the copier it says there is a ip address of 192.168.1.4 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway address of 0.0.0.0
    When I put that IP address in the Add Printer settings on my computer and pick the driver for the ir2018 it says it is unable to connect to that ip address.
    I have also tried changing the ip address to 10.0.1.7 (and variations of this).

I feel like I am just guessing at this point.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ericny View Post
    Hi Teckat,

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I know where to input the numbers (ip address, subnet mask, gateway address etc) on both my computer and the copier. I just don't know what numbers and parameters to use or how to figure that out. I don't have a network administrator or anything like that. It is just me in my studio.
    Right now in the copier it says there is a ip address of 192.168.1.4 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway address of 0.0.0.0
    When I put that IP address in the Add Printer settings on my computer and pick the driver for the ir2018 it says it is unable to connect to that ip address.
    I have also tried changing the ip address to 10.0.1.7 (and variations of this).

I feel like I am just guessing at this point.
    ===============================================

sorry, I overlooked that wireless router statement.no wireless printing to 2018i

++++Make sure u have the correct drivers
    Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : imageRUNNER 2018i

UFRII v10.4.0
    If you have installed a prior version of the printer driver, after installing the new version of the printer driver, delete and re-install it

Power off Printer & MAC
    now make a direct connection to 2018i (CROSSOVER ? USB ? ETHERNET >Cable)
    Power up Printer & MAC
    Now> Add the Printer
    Printer Setup Utility: If this is the first time you have added a printer, you will see a pop-up message asking you if you want to add a printer to your list. Click Add.
    1. Printer Browser: In the top menu bar, click IP Printer and fill in the remaining information as follows:
    2. Next to Protocol select Internet Printing Protocol - IPP.
    3. Next to Address type in the IP address of the printer.
    4. Next to Print Using select the manufacturer of your printer. Then select the Model and click Add.Note: All other fields may be left blank.

Installable Options: You will only see this window if your printer has installable options.
    Select the options you would like to include and click Continue.
    Printer List:Your newly added printer will now appear in your printer list.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**