Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

CLC3200 on Linux Mint. No output at all and no errors

I have gone over to a totally Linux Mint (Ubuntu derivative) office and have installed the latest Canon software to run my CLC3200. File name "g1483en_lindeb32_0207.deb". No problems with the installation which installs a queue called CQue which in turn works via the CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) server. I easily set up the appropriate queue. However, when I sent a couple of test pages there was no output what so ever. Looking at my log file I see the following:

"POST /printers/CLC3200 HTTP/1.1" 200 280 Create-Job successful-ok

"POST /printers/CLC3200 HTTP/1.1" 200 2478 Send-Document successful-ok
    "POST /printers/CLC3200 HTTP/1.1" 200 219 Create-Job successful-ok
    "POST /printers/CLC3200 HTTP/1.1" 200 38325 Send-Document successful-ok

so no help there.

so no help there.

I am flummoxed and have absolutely no idea where to look next so this is a plea for help. Has anyone got any suggestions please?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: CLC3200 on Linux Mint. No output at all and no errors

What Print options are installed on 3200 _?
    Canon Print Kit_?/ Canon Print Controller_?
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

Hello teckat,

Thank you for looking at my problem. I think I need to explain a little more. Firstly I am not a technician. I work in Pembrokeshire, the very far West of South Wales. All Canon techs are apparently in England and I simply cannot afford the mileage charges for a 400 mile round trip. Local dealers are all either Samsung or Toshiba and do not deal with Canon machines.

Our printer has worked well over the last 10+ years, serving a small network of Windows XP machines. It has a Saddle finisher N2 and twin paper deck (I believe it is called a Cassette Feeding Unit X1) installed and has a fixed IP address. Nothing on the printer was changed when I installed the software on the Linux machine.

I downloaded the appropriate 32 bit installation file, g1483en_lindeb32_0207.deb, from the Canon driver website and ran sudo dpkg g1483en_lindeb32_0207.deb to install the driver. Once installed, I set up one print queue. I can send documents to the queue without any problem but there is no output what so ever. The printer is obviously not receiving any document information as the data light does not flash.

I am still at the beginning of the Linux learning curve but am pretty sure that my problem is within the software on the machine rather than the printer.

What Print options are installed on 3200 _? I think/hope I have answered that above.
    Canon Print Kit_?/ Canon Print Controller_? I am not sure what you mean by print kit but on Windows it was using the Fiery controller.

OK !
    so u have a C1 Fiery controller box on back of printer.
    & printer was used in past with a Windows environment \ that was networked.

Technician

That is all correct. Never any problems with the Windows set up.

The installation under Linux went just as you would expect. Setting up the queue had one problem. As instructed in the Quick user guide (and reference manual), using the terminal I changed to the directory /opt/cel/bin and typed the name of the setup file, cque. It returned an error, saying that there was an invalid switch (-M). I have looked at the code and that switch is not mentioned so I do not know where that came from. However, running gksu directly allowed me to set up the queue without out any further problems.

The queue is a basic one, single sided, A4, all the rest at printer defaults. I thought that it was wise to get one working before exploring the other possibilities. As I have said previously no output though. That was using Libre Office Writer document. I have just tried a text document using gedit and find that the status is reported as “The printer configuration is incorrect or the printer no longer exists”.

If it is of any help I can post the contents of the file cque.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherBigAl View Post
    That is all correct. Never any problems with the Windows set up.

The installation under Linux went just as you would expect. Setting up the queue had one problem. As instructed in the Quick user guide (and reference manual), using the terminal I changed to the directory /opt/cel/bin and typed the name of the setup file, cque. It returned an error, saying that there was an invalid switch (-M). I have looked at the code and that switch is not mentioned so I do not know where that came from. However, running gksu directly allowed me to set up the queue without out any further problems.

The queue is a basic one, single sided, A4, all the rest at printer defaults. I thought that it was wise to get one working before exploring the other possibilities. As I have said previously no output though. That was using Libre Office Writer document. I have just tried a text document using gedit and find that the status is reported as “The printer configuration is incorrect or the printer no longer exists”.

If it is of any help I can post the contents of the file cque.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

have u checked the Linux Mint Forum ??

Linux Mint Forums

Technician

It is difficult to know where to go.. At the moment the only post I have made is here as I reasoned, well I did at first, that it was a print problem. On thinking about it I suspect you are right. I'll try over there and see what they say.

It is difficult to know where to go.. At the moment the only post I have made is here as I reasoned, well I did at first, that it was a print problem. On thinking about it I suspect you are right. I'll try over there and see what they say.
    --------------------------

print out a Configuration page from control panel (PRINTER TAB)/

what ver.? is that C1 Print controller ???

is this the box on back of your printer

You can print to the Printer Unit-C1 directly from UNIX workstations
    TO PRINT FROM UNIX
    • On a system running a BSD-based variant, use the lpr command to send a job to the
    Printer Unit-C1, as follows:
    lpr <-Pprinter> <-#copies> <filename>
    For example, if the Print queue of your Printer Unit-C1 is named print_Server, your
    file is named Sample, and you want to print two copies, type:
    lpr -Pprint_Server -#2 Sample
    • On a system running Solaris 9 or any System V implementation of UNIX, use the
    lp command to send a job to the Printer Unit-C1, as follows:
    lp -d <printername> -n <copies> <filename>
    For example, if the Print queue of your Printer Unit-C1 is named print_Server, your
    file is named Sample, and you want to print two copies, type:
    lp -d print_Server -n 2 Sample
    C1.JPG

Is this the driver location used ??
    CLC3200/3220-C1 v2
    Last edited by teckat; 09-16-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

See if your printer is recognised by the computer,
    Use the lpstat(1) command to see a list of available printers:

lpstat -p -d

Try the Ubuntu forums, blag it, tell them you are using whatever version of Ubuntu. I say this because Ubuntu seems to be the most popular Linux distro. Whatever works on Ubuntu should work on Mint since they are both .deb based.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Technician

Hi teckat,

From the configuration page I am told that:
    Memory = 128 MB
    Software = EFI Fiery System 5.1e
    Disk size = (MB) 17092
    Disk free space (MB) = 15704

I note that although the fixed IP and netmask are correct, 192.168.0.4 : 255.255.255.0 the gateway address is the same as the fixed IP. Probably a red herring as it has worked like that for many years. I do not intend to change it.

At the end of the print out I am shown the BIOS Setup
    BIOS version = 4.02 04/11/02
    Diablo version:
    Base = 3_0-12_Sep_2002
    diablo = 2.4-12_Sep_2002
    fdisk = EXT2-IDE-RO_Jan_2003
    kernel = 2.4-10_30_2002
    platform = MXi12_Sep_2002

Yes, the picture does show the box on the back of the printer

I am not sure what variant Linux Mint is,(Ubuntu) so I tried both commands. The print queue is called CLC3200 so I used that as the printer name. I created a special text file in my home directory. Just a few lines and txt as as opposed to a Libre Office writer document.

$ lpr -Pprint_CLC3200 -#2 sample.txt. Output = lpr: The printer or class does not exist.
    $ lp -d print_CLC3200 -n 2 sample.txt. Output = lp: The printer or class does not exist.

I deduce from that that the printer queue is not installed correctly.

Thank you for joining in skynet. I tried
    $ lpstat -p -d. Output = printer CLC3200 disabled since Tue 16 Sep 2014 16:21:06 BST -
    The printer configuration is incorrect or the printer no longer exists.

It seems to me that something pretty major is wrong with my setup so I have decided to go for a complete re installation of the operating system. I have some data to move off of the machine first but also I have got a busy weekend away from the office so I don't expect to have completed it before Monday next week. Once done I will re run the commands and report back.

I will also ask on the Mnnt and Ubuntu forums next week if there are still problems after the re install.

I am very grateful for your help and please don't think that I have forgotten all about this as seems to happen in so may threads on forums that are left with inconclusive endings.