Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts alex@wocltd.com's Avatar

Re: CLC3200 on Linux Mint. No output at all and no errors

how come your using linux mint? - would suggest you use an ubuntu version as printing has pretty much been sorted on this platform - you should be able to use the generic postscript driver as a workaround (system setting-printers-add printer),hope this helps

Technician

When the support for XP finished I looked around to see what else was available. I have tried various Linux versions in the past, more or less always dual boot although I have once set up a triple boot. When I asked around the consensus was that Mint was the most user friendly of all the Linux operating systems. I now have 7 machines on my LAN running Mint so it is too late to change. Anyway, as it is a derivative of Ubuntu /Debian apart from the different philosophies and the various kernels there is not a lot of difference; isn't there? Most of the installations use LVM and that was the only fiddle as Mint only supports a very crude version of that. Each machine uses 5 logical volumes and that took some time to get set up. I really would not want to go back and do all of that again.

okay - that answers that then,I got my teeth into mint some years back so dont know now what its repository for support for printers are like - however give it go add it by the ip address and see (if listed) 3200ps or equivalent....or do you have a generic ps listed?

Technician

I should have added that I no longer have any machines with any form of Widows installed.

The Canon CLC3200 is a big, floor standing multi task machine. It collates, inserts covers, folds, makes booklets and staples as well as scanning; tipping the scales at around 100 Kg. It is not a run of the mill standard machine. I don't know why I didn't try to see if it was usable when I was looking at the various Linux distros. I had gone to the Canon site and found that there were Linux drivers for both DEB and RPM distros and then left it at that. My first thought was to go to “Add printer” to see what came up. The answer was nothing. I have tried looking for a generic driver. Quite simply there isn't one.

I go back to working with a Sinclair ZX80 then progressing to a Commodore Pet with 64k (WOW!) of memory and twin 5.25” floppy drives before moving to Windows 95 then all the different versions up to XP Pro. so I have worked with a GUI for a l-o-n-g time. (One day I'll dig the old machines out and see if I can still fire them up.) Reverting to the command line for serious admin is quite challenging as it requires such a completely different mindset. That is why I am going to reinstall on the print server. I suspect all my mucking about that I did before my first post has broken something. A re-installation 'repairs' the basic setup and gives me a clean starting point.

er, yup i know what the 32xx(an antique) is as I'm a canon dealer.......just checked on Trusty tahr(Ubuntu Studio 14.04) running as vmware indeed in the repository of added printers you already have 2620 ps & pcl fotomatic drivers which will work - tested on irc3580 using 3170 driver and Ira5030 using generic driver ......can you provide a list of printers listed within the mint repository?

Technician

Sorry I have been a long time answering. It is a bad time of year it seems. Lots of things to do all of a rush

Quote Originally Posted by alex@wocltd.com View Post
    er, yup i know what the 32xx(an antique) is as I'm a canon dealer.......just checked on Trusty tahr(Ubuntu Studio 14.04) running as vmware indeed in the repository of added printers you already have 2620 ps & pcl fotomatic drivers which will work - tested on irc3580 using 3170 driver and Ira5030 using generic driver ......can you provide a list of printers listed within the mint repository?
    I am not sure what you meant by the Mint repository but in any case I have been doing some work on my own here.

First off, after some help with the script from friends on the Mint forum, I managed to run the installation script 'cque'. That enabled me to set up a printer queue. The output was the same. No error messages, just no output. On the computer everything looked fine. At least now I had a HUGE selection of ppd files. If those are the ones you are asking for, sorry no can do. There are simply too many as I would have to type them all in manually.

Anyway, out of the list I found the ppd file for an iR3220 PS so I saved it on a networked machine. Next I reinstalled Mint (32 bit), completely overwriting the original, so a totally fresh install. Next, by going to http://localhost:631/admin I attempted to install the driver. Something I had not been able to do before as the page had been giving me error messages. When it asked for the ppd I pointed it to the one I had saved so that was okay.

According to CUPS the printer was installed without error. However, the same problem persists. I can send test and other pages to the printer, no errors get reported but no output. By the way, just in case you are thinking I have a network problem, I can ping the printer okay.

So there I am at present. I have a fresh installation of Mint with nothing except all the security updates added. I have not installed the Canon driver file but used CUPS to 'Add a printer' and still no output.

If you were a bit nearer I'd ask you to visit and look at it. I'm stumped.

Technician

Bump